Download new Coldplay tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been playing the 64KB WMA version all day long and it sounds great. the only time you hear pops is when you have it cranked to a pretty loud volume. It sounds great, go for it.

Miggy D said:
This album is amazing. I'm totally in love with it.

:yes: great album. My favorites so far are Square one, X&Y, Low and Twisted logic.

I think it is very boring. Fix You is powerful, Square One is great and different, but other than that is is a melt of synthesisers and it feels cold. The original Talk was superior, and Speed of sound is unfortunately one of the best tracks after the aforementioned, on the album.

I'm devastated, but I always have Parachutes an AROBTTH.

Last edited:
(Review I posted somewhere else)

After Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head being two of my favourite albums ever, expectations were high.

I'll give a little review, but it is first impressions and I don't know the songs too well yet.

Anyway the album kicks off with Square One, which is admittedly very different to the old stuff, but just awesome regardless. Great opener, like nothing I've heard before from Coldplay.

What If gives the illusion of being epic and meaningful, but in truth it is whiny, repetitive and a snooze. I'm sure people will love it at first.

White Shadows is a cliché musically and lyrically. Nice chorus, but the rest of the song is just silly, a bouncy beat and bass line just shits me. And the very U2 influenced guitars that were like brushstrokes in the first two albums are now piercing, irritating cries that just seem to be there, for no reason.

And the synths. Oh the synths. Never have I heard such lifeless synthesizers in Coldplay music. The end of White Shadows sounds like a cross between Kraftwerk and a church organ being played by some old lady.

This segues into Fix You, and the signs aren't good as it feels like the previous song never ended. This is saved though as the song picks up and actually becomes really good by the end. Great harmonies & a bloody (awesome) guitar high in the mix, with riffs! MY GOSH!

Talk is okay, but overproduced and not a patch on the original version (if you've heard it). Though it becomes the original in the last chorus.

X & Y is another fucking synth fest.

Square One is unfortunately one of the better songs on the album. Which is a shame because I consider it on a par with In My Place on AROBTTH, a nice easy first single, not an album standout. Says a lot for the strength of the other songs, or lack thereof.

A Message is solid and pleasant.

Whilst Low isn't anything special, it is a bit different so I don't mind it.

The Hardest Part is like A Message, but less interesting.

In the vein of A Message and The Hardest Part, Swallowed in the Sea is a pleasant ditty. But it is better then the former two because it nails the chorus, which is rather long and carries the song.

Twisted Logic tries to be the big uplifting closer, but it plods... but at least it is followed by Til Kingdom Come, the bonus track, which would have sat nicely in A Rush of Blood. Good song.

Basically this album is a bore, and has shifted me from a fan onto the Coldplay’s songs all sound the same bandwagon. At least, with regards to the songs on this album. It tries to be spacey and interesting with it's reliance on keyboards and synths, but basically it is a poor attempt at reinvention and only muddies their once great sound. Also it can be noted that Chris Martin's voice is really shrill on this album, and doesn't sit with the songs as well as they used to.

The rest of the band are fine, the drumming is actually quite good, the bass is as interesting as it has ever been for Coldplay and there are some interesting riffs. But, especially in the case of the guitar, this is drowned out by over production and over thinking.

Square One, Fix You and Til Kingdom Come are top songs, as good as most they've written. Speed of Sound is enjoyable as well because the song has distinct sounds, and the synths are more atmospheric than prominent. The rest of the songs are really pretty monotone and boring, no endearing qualities. I'll also admit none of the songs are bad, they're just not any good either.

Verdict - they dropped the ball. I'm gutted because I love their other stuff and think that their first two albums are comparable against just about any other ever written.

Unfortunately this one doesn't, and just feels cold (no pun intended, honestly).

Okay, I listened to the streaming audio on their website last night.

From the reviews I've heard of this record so far, I expected to see God walk in the room while it was playing.

I did not see God.
I did not see Jesus.
I did not even see any minor saints.

I was rather underwhelmed. And while I am willing to give it more chances, "X&Y" didn't grab me immediately like their last album did.

Miggy D said:
Booster! What's the verdict? I'm dying here! I will not click 'play' if these are nuked. I owe Coldplay more than that. :)

-Miggy

Hey Miggy,

What do you mean by nuked?

The quality of the torrentspy version is way better than the 64 kbs wma version. I noticed a minor click in a few spots.

My point aswell with the album is that, like you Diane, it didn't grab me immediately. Unlike How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, which I loved immensely, but the first few weeks of love simmered a bit with time to more of a wide enjoyment.

But that is okay, as not all albums have to hit me in the face like Hut Dab. For example, Idlewild's Warnings/Promises was a real slow burner, alot of songs on first listen don't absorb and I wasn't sure what to make of it.

The difference between the three is this, whilst X&Y doesn't hist me in the face like U2, it also doesn't seem to have the potential to grow like Idlewild. With W/P I could see atleast from the get go that these songs where original and innovative. Maybe not their best material but warm and enjoyable nonetheless.

X&Y holds no potential for me. I feel that I have heard all I can. It isn't a bad album, but it isn't good either. It is average, and right now Coldplay needed to bust out something better than that.

They need to make sure they nail their next album, or else I don't see much hope for them. Of course it could be just as likely X&Y is a huge commecial success worldwide.

But for their sake I really hope not, as this album doesn't deserve it and failure could be just the thing to give back the spark to a band with seemingly no warmth or spark.

For the recored, the first two albums hit me in the face like a massive brick of joy immediately, and never really dipped much since. I might not listen to it like I did when I first got them, but the appreciation is the same.

X&Y doesn't kick you in the nuts (if you got 'em :D ) like the Bomb does, but that is okay. It is quite different than U2's Bomb. I can honestly say that X & Y does NOT compare to Keane's effort last year. I think Keane is the current ruler of Brit-Pop.

I like it but it doesn't hit me like A Rush Of Blood To The Head did/does.

Best tracks so far, 'Til Kngdom Come and Low.

I love Fix You and A message, the rest is very average and contrived IMO. I was expecting passion but found overproduced dross. :(

Palace_Hero said:
I think it is very boring. Fix You is powerful, Square One is great and different, but other than that is is a melt of synthesisers and it feels cold. The original Talk was superior, and Speed of sound is unfortunately one of the best tracks after the aforementioned, on the album.

I'm devastated, but I always have Parachutes an AROBTTH.

I actually pretty much agree with what you are saying. I love square one and talk. I like speed of sound and fix you. tHE album sounds like one continuous song, though. :( Not at all impressed, and I definitely think they have done better in the past.

So I heard square one today, it was not mind blowing, it was good but it will probably grow on me. However, as much as I want to buy the new album it annoys me how they are trying to become the next U2 :eyebrow:

Does anyone besides me think that the lyris are utter dross? They sound deep and meaningful but once you look beyond the surface of the pretty metaphors and juxtapositions and Martin's disarming falsetto, I think they're not far from Oasis lyrics - worse because they actually CLAIM to be about something. Even ATYCLB's crappy lyrics beat this stuff IMO.

I won't post any review yet since I still have to let this album sink in.

But (and I don't mean to spark that debate again)

They have been compared to U2 and yet they say their music is not similar to U2's. I would agree, as far as their first 2 albums are concerned.

But there's no way they can say that now, with White Shadows (typical Edge riff; could have been on UF) and the (amazing) guitar riff in Fix You. I love this guitar, it's so..... Edge!

They are indeed very inspired by U2. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. I just love this guitar sound...

RA-D said:
I like it but it doesn't hit me like A Rush Of Blood To The Head did/does.

Best tracks so far, 'Til Kngdom Come and Low.

Yeah, I agree. I heard 'Fix You' the first time this morning on the radio and thought the album would be full of equally 'amazing' songs (which is obviously unrealistic, but hey - a girl can hope).
It's certainly not representative of what the album is as a whole. I like X&Y, but there are not as many tracks on there which really stand out as there were on 'A Rush of Blood to the Head'.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I do not like Fix You at all. I do not like Chris' voice in the beginning of it. If the song were to sound more like it does towards the end with the full band playing and singing and him singing in a lower voice I would like it more.

:angry:

This is not good.

I'm sure you'll find something on there you like :yes:
I don't like alot of U2 songs which are really rated. It's just a case of finding a track that clicks with you (hopefully there will be one...)

can someone please for the love of all that is nice holy and fluffy...send me a zip file of all the mp3s? torrents scare the bejesus out of me...

can i at least get the new "talk"? pretty please?...

thewrathofsam@yahoo.com

AIM: the wrath of sam

Back
Top Bottom