Dorking, Surrey, UK Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I bet your music teacher didn't play you a tape of himself hitting random notes on a keyboard for you to identify in a test, while confessing that he'd had a few glasses of wine when he recorded it, cos he kept messing up on the tape. :laugh:

And God saw that His backyard was eroding and blowing away with the wind, and He saw that it was Not Good. So He had a think and He made Grass, so that His backyard should be green and suitable for entertaining guests, and that His soil should not be lost to the wind. And so Grass was created on the 8th day.

:wink:

Woah! I thought God made grass so that the Rastafarians could smoke it! You've completely blown my mind.

There were other little plants to hold the dirt together, like club mosses and stuff. It's quite possible that there was simply more exposed dirt, and thus more erosion and sediment floating about, but that's probably just as well, since dinosaurs and other critters were leaving much bigger fossils that had to be covered in mud and preserved. :wink:
With all the megafauna gone these days, you just don't need so much sedimentation.

(Yay backwards logic!)

Ahh, right. Though right here, you're not thinking of whatever species is around in 65 million years, wanting to know about those fucking odd "hyoominz".

Wow, I can hear Bono's guitar in ISHF!

Heh, I never made the Bad/AIWIY connection.

I'm already up to One Tree Hill, since I skipped ISHFWILF. :tongue:

It bores me nowadays, and Bono's "whaddaya wan mah tah giv awt abawt'anight" speech annoys me.

I'll have to dig up a Bad/AIWIY to send you. It's truly awesome.

Ah, right... I'd heard it before, but never made most of it out.

I have a vague memory of something that might have been that in your sig, but I can't remember what it was.

I'm pretty sure I had this in my signature:

His voice to me was like a stream
Scarce heard, nor word from word could I divide
And the whole body of the man did seem
Like one whom I had met in a dream

Don't think I had the rest from that night, which follows below. In brackets is what I would've used if I did - it's my more generalised version. I always heard it as the more generalised version until I read Samuel Beckett died not long before the gig and that's when I realised what Bono was ACTUALLY saying:

Sam Beckett (Some men) dreamt of other roads
Sam Beckett (Some men) dreamt of other lands
Of another home! Of another home!
Where the streets have no name
Take me, take me!

Woah! I thought God made grass so that the Rastafarians could smoke it! You've completely blown my mind.
... :shh:

Ahh, right. Though right here, you're not thinking of whatever species is around in 65 million years, wanting to know about those fucking odd "hyoominz".
I'm sure we'll leave plenty of evidence behind... and I daresay the things wondering about the hyoominz will be aliens wondering what the hell happened to this nice little holiday planet they checked out a few million years ago.

I'm already up to One Tree Hill, since I skipped ISHFWILF. :tongue:
I just got to Van Diemen's Land.

Wait, what? Van Diemen's Land?!

I'll have to dig up a Bad/AIWIY to send you. It's truly awesome.

Cool.

Wow, Edge. I know you're not really that nasal... :huh:

I'm pretty sure I had this in my signature:

His voice to me was like a stream
Scarce heard, nor word from word could I divide
And the whole body of the man did seem
Like one whom I had met in a dream

Don't think I had the rest from that night, which follows below. In brackets is what I would've used if I did - it's my more generalised version. I always heard it as the more generalised version until I read Samuel Beckett died not long before the gig and that's when I realised what Bono was ACTUALLY saying:

Sam Beckett (Some men) dreamt of other roads
Sam Beckett (Some men) dreamt of other lands
Of another home! Of another home!
Where the streets have no name
Take me, take me!

Ooh, cool. I need to read me some good poetry.

Video, not DVD! This was back in the dark ages, remember? And a small town at that. :wink:

Alison's first exposure to showGAYship. I remember thinking the bit at the end with the giant bedsheet/cape thing was a bit much. :lol:
(But then I was a JF fan at the time.)

Huh, I don't know why I said DVD, since I'm normally the Luddite living in the Dark Ages with his video player. I have so many more videos than DVDs and feel no need to upgrade until the video itself actually dies. Like with Red Rocks.

Haha. Just about everything in Queen concerts was a bit much, but that's why it SuperWins.

And I bet your music teacher didn't play you a tape of himself hitting random notes on a keyboard for you to identify in a test, while confessing that he'd had a few glasses of wine when he recorded it, cos he kept messing up on the tape. :laugh:

:lol:

Oh, I wish. All our teachers presented a facade of being boring, safe Christian types. I know some actually WEREN'T, though I think our music teacher was. He was the kind of guy who went to a crazy Pentecostal church. I actually went in there - my friends were running a Christmas display there and they got me in to help run their Lego trains. I stuck with the trains and avoided all the craziness around me. At that time, I wasn't a godless atheist either! But that church still scared me.

I'm sure we'll leave plenty of evidence behind... and I daresay the things wondering about the hyoominz will be aliens wondering what the hell happened to this nice little holiday planet they checked out a few million years ago.

We'll probably leave too much evidence and the aliens will be headdesking all over the place about HOW FUCKING DUMB we are.

I just got to Van Diemen's Land.

Wait, what? Van Diemen's Land?!

Cool.

Wow, Edge. I know you're not really that nasal... :huh:

What's so shocking about VDL?

And of course Edge has to sound nasal when he's singing about Tassie!

Ooh, cool. I need to read me some good poetry.

The first four lines are Resolution And Independence by William Wordsworth, and I'm pretty fond of the whole long thing. Though I'd say it's going to take more than that to dislodge Wilfred Owen's Dulce Et Decorum Est from the spot of my favourite poem.

I've never been entirely clear why Bono chose to snippet a Wordsworth poem in honour of Beckett rather than something Beckett himself actually did.

Oh, I wish. All our teachers presented a facade of being boring, safe Christian types. I know some actually WEREN'T, though I think our music teacher was. He was the kind of guy who went to a crazy Pentecostal church. I actually went in there - my friends were running a Christmas display there and they got me in to help run their Lego trains. I stuck with the trains and avoided all the craziness around me. At that time, I wasn't a godless atheist either! But that church still scared me.

It would scare anyone with a sense of logic and normalcy.

Bono wants me to check out his boots, his pants, and hairdo... oh wait, he's talking about Edge. :lmao:

All the Bono girls in PLEBA would have been disappointed. But all the Edge girls would love it, so there you go. Swings and roundabouts.

We'll probably leave too much evidence and the aliens will be headdesking all over the place about HOW FUCKING DUMB we are.
That's pretty much what I was getting at, yeah.

What's so shocking about VDL?

And of course Edge has to sound nasal when he's singing about Tassie!
The fact that it's there... although I suppose you're going to tell me that they/he played it at every Lovetown show, now. Just not used to hearing it live!

I thought that was just his Countree Myewsic voice... :wink:

It would scare anyone with a sense of logic and normalcy.

Bono wants me to check out his boots, his pants, and hairdo... oh wait, he's talking about Edge. :lmao:

All the Bono girls in PLEBA would have been disappointed. But all the Edge girls would love it, so there you go. Swings and roundabouts.

You would've loved it despite all that. One night when I was packing up, the church's pastor belted out this honestly amazing rendition of You're The Voice.

Haha, that part of OOC is so strange.

And Pride from this gig isn't quite as dreadful as normal. I find it fairly listenable, though still a shadow of the studio version.

The first four lines are Resolution And Independence by William Wordsworth, and I'm pretty fond of the whole long thing. Though I'd say it's going to take more than that to dislodge Wilfred Owen's Dulce Et Decorum Est from the spot of my favourite poem.

I've never been entirely clear why Bono chose to snippet a Wordsworth poem in honour of Beckett rather than something Beckett himself actually did.

My dad's all into poetry, it would probably make his day if I ask him for some books.

Maybe Beckett was a fan too?

That's pretty much what I was getting at, yeah.

The fact that it's there... although I suppose you're going to tell me that they/he played it at every Lovetown show, now. Just not used to hearing it live!

I thought that was just his Countree Myewsic voice... :wink:

Yeah ... I'm kind of borderline on a rant about how utterly fucked up politics and the general public and the media are. And I have this "world is doooooomed" LJ post brewing.

VDL debuted in Melbourne! 9 October 1989, the last of the three Melissa saw. It was done at about 30 Lovetown gigs (there were 47 in total ... just checked U2gigs, it was 31 out of 47), plus six on ZooTV and that's it.

You'd think Tassie rather than Tamworth would be Australia's countree myewsic capital, wouldn't you?

SerVo! :wave:

My dad's all into poetry, it would probably make his day if I ask him for some books.

Maybe Beckett was a fan too?

Heh. You know, as fond as I am of some poetry, I'm not really that widely read. I guess because I think the majority of poetry is utter crap, especially modern poetry, so I've not wholly enjoyed digging deeper.

Then again, I suppose the majority of anything is utter crap (let me tell you about all the proggy rubbish out there!), so I suppose my real excuse is laziness.

What, better than Milo Kerrigan's definitive version?! :ohmy:

Oh, no, nothing could top Milo.

NOTHING.

Yeah ... I'm kind of borderline on a rant about how utterly fucked up politics and the general public and the media are. And I have this "world is doooooomed" LJ post brewing.
Sounds like my Epic U2 Rant of Doooom... which has slid back to the backburner. I'm sure it'll pick up again if I keep reading U2 by U2.

VDL debuted in Melbourne! 9 October 1989, the last of the three Melissa saw. It was done at about 30 Lovetown gigs (there were 47 in total ... just checked U2gigs, it was 31 out of 47), plus six on ZooTV and that's it.
God damn it, stop making me wish I'd gone to those shows!! :madwife:
Not that I'm that keen to hear Edge sounding like that, but it still would have been cool.
Hard to imagine that at a Zoo show!

You'd think Tassie rather than Tamworth would be Australia's countree myewsic capital, wouldn't you?
... I think I'm missing something here... are Taswegians supposed to sound more nasal than most Australians? If you're going for a nasal hickish accent, I would have thought you'd be better off in far-inland rural NSW or QLD...

Hey Ali! :hug:

Not bad, though I'm freezing my arse off now. :grumpy:

Happy belated birthday, by the way! And how are you?

I'm pretty cold too, considering it's supposed to be nearly summer here.

Thank you! :hug: I'm pretty good for 30 :D Had a couple of great meals over the last couple of days. :drool:

Heh. You know, as fond as I am of some poetry, I'm not really that widely read. I guess because I think the majority of poetry is utter crap, especially modern poetry, so I've not wholly enjoyed digging deeper.
I think my dad got a lot of it at school when he was a kid, so they're more the classic sort of thing. He's read a few to us and they're very cool... can't think of any specific useful information, like which poets. :der:

Oh, no, nothing could top Milo.

NOTHING.
Well, I won't feel too bad about missing that crazy Petecostal pastor version, then...

Sounds like my Epic U2 Rant of Doooom... which has slid back to the backburner. I'm sure it'll pick up again if I keep reading U2 by U2.

God damn it, stop making me wish I'd gone to those shows!! :madwife:
Not that I'm that keen to hear Edge sounding like that, but it still would have been cool.
Hard to imagine that at a Zoo show!

... I think I'm missing something here... are Taswegians supposed to sound more nasal than most Australians? If you're going for a nasal hickish accent, I would have thought you'd be better off in far-inland rural NSW or QLD...

I'm pretty sure that if I read anything soon on either political inaction on global warming or indigenous issues, and am not totally distracted by the Superthread at the time, my rant will happen in all its explosive glory.

Haha, like your parents would've taken you.

And I'm just implying that Taswegians are, well, known to be a little special, a little slow, a little inbred ... similar qualities to the country music areas of the US! You'd think country music would fit in just fine in Hobart or Launceston!

I'm pretty cold too, considering it's supposed to be nearly summer here.

Thank you! :hug: I'm pretty good for 30 :D Had a couple of great meals over the last couple of days. :drool:

It's just bloody well cold here.

Mmm, great meals. What kinda stuff didja eat?

I think my dad got a lot of it at school when he was a kid, so they're more the classic sort of thing. He's read a few to us and they're very cool... can't think of any specific useful information, like which poets. :der:

Well, I won't feel too bad about missing that crazy Petecostal pastor version, then...

I'd be interested to know ... that's the kind of stuff I tend to prefer. Shame about my inaction and all that.

And Milo Kerrigan's Your The Voice should be the national anthem.

... Did Bono just ask the sound guys to turn his mike/guitar DOWN? :lol:

I think he wanted the level of his voice in his earpiece feed turned down, since he mentions something about being distracted by himself. Guess he needed to really focus, since it's the song's debut. I'd say it paid off and gave us the definitive SAMTM.

I'm pretty sure that if I read anything soon on either political inaction on global warming or indigenous issues, and am not totally distracted by the Superthread at the time, my rant will happen in all its explosive glory.
*considers linking you to various social action websites* :hmm:

Haha, like your parents would've taken you.
They thought JF was too dangerous for 12-year-old Alison, so fair point. However, with every factoid about those shows, they get more firmly cemented in the top destination for my time machine, whenever it materialises from the future.

And I'm just implying that Taswegians are, well, known to be a little special, a little slow, a little inbred ... similar qualities to the country music areas of the US! You'd think country music would fit in just fine in Hobart or Launceston!
Well, yes... I didn't hang around in Tasmania long enough to investigate that properly. Although Queenstown was creepy enough to be in Deliverance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom