Doping in Tennis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
First of all, I will clarify that I am from Argentina so my comments will not be completely objective. But, regardless, I need to vent off... :blahblah:

I have to say that I am surprised by the latest doping cases in which Argentine tennis players have been involved (e.g., Guillermo Canas a couple of months ago, and the newly publicized doping case of Mariano Puerta at Roland Garros). I am not going to argue in favor or against these cases since I do not know the developments behind them, although I truly wish that they are finally dismissed as not valid and that both Canas and Puerta are allowed to continue to play tennis.

What really surprises me is the fact that Argentines, and only Argentines, are the ones being caught. It just sounds plain weird.

I mean, are just Argentines the only ones doping themselves? Unlikely.

Does the ATP prefer to identify only Argentines because they are an 'easier' target? More likely.

On that note, I would like to mention that Magnus Norman, a former Swedish tennis player, will shortly be publishing a book called "Tennis Off The Record" which states that Andre Agassi tested positive in a doping test in 2003, but that the ATP decided against making it public, given that Agassi is, supposedly, such an example and a popular figure. On the other hand, Guillermo Canas, who should have been given a small sanction, was banned for two years by the ATP, so as to set an "example".

Without, again, defending the Argentine players, I am starting to suspect that this has become a "prosecution" and that the ATP does not apply the same rules depending on the nationality of the players.

Finally, I would like to dedicate a paragraph to the French newspaper L'Equipe :mad: , which, in my opinion, should not have made a rumor public without notifying the ATP (yesterday they announced that Mariano Puerta had violated the doping rules at Roland Garros). If this rumor ends up not being true, both the consequences to the player and the newspaper would be disastrous.

Thoughts?

U2@NYC said:

Finally, I would like to dedicate a paragraph to the French newspaper L'Equipe :mad: , which, in my opinion, should not have made a rumor public without notifying the ATP (yesterday they announced that Mariano Puerta had violated the doping rules at Roland Garros). If this rumor ends up not being true, both the consequences to the player and the newspaper would be disastrous.

Thoughts?

Clarin did the same thing with an Argentine player some days ago.

The International Federations don't do their jobs, everybody knows that Armstrong used doping but only "L'équipe" had the balls to reveal it.
Just for their courage, "L'équipe" don't deserve any :mad: but a :up:

Canas, Corria and Puerta had already been caught, is Argentina an easy target ? Sure. But easy target or not, they used doping so they have to be judged.
When you see Serena Williams muscles, you really wonder what the WTA is doing.....
And the NBA ? And the 2002 world cup ? 300 tests,0 positive ! You only needed to contol the Korean team to find 22 positive cases :lol:

What the hell does L'Equipe have with drug tests anyways and trying to call out athletes like this?

They did the same thing to Lance Armstrong, repeatedly. And they're still doing it.

Back
Top Bottom