Dont you forget about about me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ace Rimmer

The Fly
What ever happened to Simple Minds? they were a popular group in the late 80s and had a sound not too disimilar from U2, Some of their record were excellent such as the title, Belfast child, Alive and kicking etc.. , Jim Kerr was an excellent singer and they were awesome live, anybody remember the Mandela freedom concert?

Did they split up or are they not just as popular...

i love simple minds. alive and kicking is one of my favorite songs, dont you forget about me...i liked that glitter prize album they did. i think thats what it was called...i still have it too. i'll go listen to it now...

Saw them last June in Boston...in a club.
Jim and Charlie are the only original members left I believe. They were inactive for a while.

Sounds like a nice-sized event Hewson.
I hope the band or at least Jim Kerr,perform at the Nelson Mandela concert this year. He did a lovely guest appearance with Yothu Yindi some time ago, "dots on the shells" I love that version of the song. There was a nice documentary made about the album it appeared on. Some of it was recorded in Dublin.

Simple Minds had it too, that soaring heartfelt feeling...just not as much of it as U2.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I think they're still touring. Not just as popular then.

P.S. Their last album was a covers record with a terrible version of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'.

Actually their last album was released last year and was all brand new material. It is called "Cry" and the songs Space Face and New Sunshine Morning off that album are pretty good. They are about to release another album and tour Europe this summer.

I saw them in Chicago and Detroit last summer and had the oppurtunity to hang out backstage with them after both. Great guys and a great band. Its a pity more people dont realize this still. If you get the oppurtunity to see them live, go. You wont regret it.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Actually their last album was released last year and was all brand new material. It is called "Cry" and the songs Space Face and New Sunshine Morning off that album are pretty good. They are about to release another album and tour Europe this summer.

I saw them in Chicago and Detroit last summer and had the oppurtunity to hang out backstage with them after both. Great guys and a great band. Its a pity more people dont realize this still. If you get the oppurtunity to see them live, go. You wont regret it.

Glad to see they are still about in some form, I will have to check out the album. I was listening to the best of album the other day and it brought back memories of what a top band they were, ..Dont you forget about me... still sounds as good today as back in the 80s :)

Blue Room said:

Thanks for the news. I was a big fan of theirs back in the '80's then sort of lost touch. It's hard to keep up with bands in this conservative market, what with the censored radio stations and news stands. I never would have heard of the Clash if it hadn't been for a friend because they were too controversial for the local radio stations.

Been listening to Real Life of late..still a very strong album in its own right I think

I love Don't you forget about me.
For some reason it always reminds me of the film Gia (which I LOVE!) I think because I read in an interview that it was one of Gia's favourite songs or something? Or am I just going insane?

Either way, I love Simple Minds :)

Back
Top Bottom