Don't be That Guy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

?

• Yes

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
Is it OK to wear a tshirt of the band you are going to see in concert?

Sure it's ok. I'm no longer 17 years old where image is everything and I MUST be cool. I already know I'm cool :wink: and if people have a problem w/ a U2 shirt at a U2 concert (or any other show for that matter), then so be it....Won't bother me one bit.

The title of this thread made me laugh so I will respond. Here's where I stand on this today. If you buy a tshirt at the show and you put it on immediately, I think it's slightly geeky but basically okay since it just shows excitement about the show and maybe after being in GA all day it's the only clean thing you have to put on. If you wore your stained, faded and falling apart tshirt from the Unforgettable Fire tour to the Vertigo show, I think you're just showing off and you need to get over it.

:wink:

20020607.gif

No, actually, I don't really mind. I mean, I personally think it's a lot cooler to wear a shirt of some other band (just because you might find like-minded fans of both bands at the show) but if somebody wants to it's fine with me. :shrug:

Only if it's a U2 show. Otherwise, I'll listen to Jeremy Piven on this one and won't be that guy.

Last edited:
i'm definitely going to find a Michael Bolton t-shirt, and wear it to the next U2 show.

I think it's fine. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Can someone give an opinion that raises a good point as to why it's stupid to do such a thing?

Re: Re: Don't be That Guy?

Bonochick said:

Can someone give an opinion that raises a good point as to why it's stupid to do such a thing?

People like to feel cooler than everybody else. The person wearing their ratty old t-shirt likes to feel cool because they have visible proof that they've been a fan a long time, leaving the people who don't wear their t-shirts to the show no choice but to establish a new code of coolness by declaring themselves cooler than the people wearing the t-shirts.

Chizip said:
Is it OK to wear a tshirt of the band you are going to see in concert?

I think it's worse to be the guy who gets mad when people wear the shirt of the band they're goiong to see.

I wore my white 'Boy' shirt to the last show. I've had it for 20 years I think. I only take it out when U2 tours, to try and preserve it.

Got a few compliments as well :wink:

joyfulgirl said:
People like to feel cooler than everybody else. The person wearing their ratty old t-shirt likes to feel cool because they have visible proof that they've been a fan a long time, leaving the people who don't wear their t-shirts to the show no choice but to establish a new code of coolness by declaring themselves cooler than the people wearing the t-shirts.
yes. when i was at my duran duran concert in nashville i saw people walking around in tee shirts from the 1983 tour and 1993 tour (as well as shirts from the current tour) and i just couldn't help but roll my eyes. are we supposed to bow down and go "oh my god you've been a fan since (insert whatever year is applicable here), you're obviously a bigger fan than me?!"

didn't see it quite as much at the memphis concert but then again that's because the nashville concert was outdoors and the venue in memphis was at a theatre so people tend to dress up a bit more. if i wear tee shirts at all to a concert, they're not even remotely music related. i saw someone wearing a janis joplin tee shirt and i wasn't quite sure what to make of that.

I think people should wear whatever the hell they want, other people's opinions be damned. To me, whether it's a brand new shirt or a shirt from many moons ago, it just shows that the person is excited about the band. I'm sure I've been guilty of calling this a concert foul at some point, but honestly, it shouldn't be a problem. I know I've mocked people for their homemade shirts before, but I've also praised them too when the shirts were really clever. For the most part, I personally try to wear the shirts of other bands than the one I'm seeing. But Chizip, if you wanna wear a certain shirt, just wear it. What other people think shouldn't matter. :up:

I wore my Damien Rice t-shirt to see U2 in Denver although there was nothing on it to identify it as Damien Rice. That was my strategy to be cool: you had to be in the know to recognize it. :D

Seriously, I agree with HG and Mr Brau. The person who is bothered by someone wearing a tshirt by the band they're seeing is the one with the problem.

10 people have voted that its not ok, yet none of you have spoken up...

it doesnt bother me persay, but it is a bit lame
it seems like poeple are trying to show off theyve either been to other concerts or simply that theyre just a HUGE fan, like if you have to have the band's t shirt ot be a fan
its a bit boring i guess

I don't wear logo or band t shirts in public -- just because I don't like to pay for someone else's advertising. But I've purchased shirts from bands I really like (merch sales are a great profit center) and either give them to friends who couldn't make a show, or just stick them in a drawer (for what eventual use, I haven't yet decided). And I'm working on getting shirts made for a musician to sell at shows (and perhaps online), so although I might not wear the shirts myself, I sure hope others will! :) (of course, if I wear the shirts I have made up, it will be advertising a product I have a stake in...so I might be able to handle that ;) )

So I guess my answer is wear whatever the hell you want. Honestly, although I might be able to tell you basically what the performers were wearing at a show, I have no memory of what any member of the audience wore. :shrug: I'm not there to look at audience members.

just another comment - as a rule, I don't buy band shirts, and the only ones I have bought in recent years has been for U2 - to show support and to have a souvenir of the show I attended. The mark-up is astronomical. A shirt might cost the band, at the most, maybe $5, and they turn around and sell it for $30-35. It kills me, but I only do it for the boys (U2 that is). And that's the only time I wear a band shirt to a show. And usually if I go multiple nights, I only wear the shirt to one :wink:

Music is freedom of expression, aren't your clothes too?

Outside of U2 (and the Intonation festival shirt I bought this weekend), I haven't purchased a concert T-shirt in YEARS (EMF may be the last one I purchased - if that says anything).

At the festival...I enjoyed seeing all the "That guys."

What is even geekier....wearing "retro" concert t-shirts you have picked up at Wal Mart and wearing them to a concert (like you were EVER old enought to see Floyd in concert).

With all that...geeky isn't "bad"

Se7en said:
wear whatever you want. the people who care what tshirts others are wearing are total wankers.

Agreed. Yes. Just because I choose not to be "that guy" doesn't mean you can't.

zoney! said:
What is even geekier....wearing "retro" concert t-shirts you have picked up at Wal Mart and wearing them to a concert (like you were EVER old enought to see Floyd in concert).
just recently i saw an eight year old wearing a classic ac/dc shirt. after i thought how the band members could be his grandfather, i wondered if he actually liked the band or bought it to be cool or something.

KhanadaRhodes said:

yes. when i was at my duran duran concert in nashville i saw people walking around in tee shirts from the 1983 tour and 1993 tour (as well as shirts from the current tour) and i just couldn't help but roll my eyes. are we supposed to bow down and go "oh my god you've been a fan since (insert whatever year is applicable here), you're obviously a bigger fan than me?!"

I really don't think that's why the majority wear the shirts though. I mean, if they are at a Duran Duran concert, they obviously like Duran Duran, so it's not surprising that they have a Duran Duran shirt...and what better place to wear a Duran Duran shirt than to...a Duran Duran concert!

I don't know...I've just never understood why people think it's such a negative thing.

Bonochick said:

I really don't think that's why the majority wear the shirts though. I mean, if they are at a Duran Duran concert, they obviously like Duran Duran, so it's not surprising that they have a Duran Duran shirt...and what better place to wear a Duran Duran shirt than to...a Duran Duran concert!

I don't know...I've just never understood why people think it's such a negative thing.

Bonochick is right on!

On the other hand, I think some people wear a shirt as a conversation starter. Picture this: you're at a U2 show and you're walking around checking out the crowd, noticing t-shirts and you stumble upon Mikal wearing his/her Michael Bolton t-shirt. One's first instinct might be to laugh ;), but I'm more likely to stop and talk to Mikal because I've never met a Michael Bolton fan before and I want to know the story behind the shirt.

Bonochick said:

I think that's the point. If you are at a Duran Duran concert or a U2 concert, it should be a given that you like said band or you wouldn't be there in the first place so there is no need to wear a t-shirt advertising that fact. It becomes sort of redundant.

I voted no but of course people can wear whatever they want to concerts.

Calluna said:

I think that's the point. If you are at a Duran Duran concert or a U2 concert, it should be a given that you like said band or you wouldn't be there in the first place so there is no need to wear a t-shirt advertising that fact. It becomes sort of redundant.

To me, it's all about just getting into the spirit...like listening to a band's music while driving to the concert.

The question is:

Is it ok to wear ANOTHER BAND's shirt at a show???

(I wear a Beatles shirt to some show's (except U2 shows), cuz the people there won't say s**t... I mean , it's the Beatles!!):mad:

Back
Top Bottom