Don't be That Guy? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: ?
Yes 41 60.29%
No 27 39.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Don't be That Guy?

Is it OK to wear a tshirt of the band you are going to see in concert?

Old 07-19-2005, 07:34 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Sure it's ok. I'm no longer 17 years old where image is everything and I MUST be cool. I already know I'm cool and if people have a problem w/ a U2 shirt at a U2 concert (or any other show for that matter), then so be it....Won't bother me one bit.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:13 AM
The title of this thread made me laugh so I will respond. Here's where I stand on this today. If you buy a tshirt at the show and you put it on immediately, I think it's slightly geeky but basically okay since it just shows excitement about the show and maybe after being in GA all day it's the only clean thing you have to put on. If you wore your stained, faded and falling apart tshirt from the Unforgettable Fire tour to the Vertigo show, I think you're just showing off and you need to get over it.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 01:13 AM

No, actually, I don't really mind. I mean, I personally think it's a lot cooler to wear a shirt of some other band (just because you might find like-minded fans of both bands at the show) but if somebody wants to it's fine with me.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Only if it's a U2 show. Otherwise, I'll listen to Jeremy Piven on this one and won't be that guy.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

i'm definitely going to find a Michael Bolton t-shirt, and wear it to the next U2 show.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:13 AM
Re: Don't be That Guy?

I think it's fine. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Can someone give an opinion that raises a good point as to why it's stupid to do such a thing?

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 07-19-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Don't be That Guy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

Can someone give an opinion that raises a good point as to why it's stupid to do such a thing?
People like to feel cooler than everybody else. The person wearing their ratty old t-shirt likes to feel cool because they have visible proof that they've been a fan a long time, leaving the people who don't wear their t-shirts to the show no choice but to establish a new code of coolness by declaring themselves cooler than the people wearing the t-shirts.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:13 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Don't be That Guy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
Is it OK to wear a tshirt of the band you are going to see in concert?
I think it's worse to be the guy who gets mad when people wear the shirt of the band they're goiong to see.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

I wore my white 'Boy' shirt to the last show. I've had it for 20 years I think. I only take it out when U2 tours, to try and preserve it.

Got a few compliments as well
Old 07-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #11
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
People like to feel cooler than everybody else. The person wearing their ratty old t-shirt likes to feel cool because they have visible proof that they've been a fan a long time, leaving the people who don't wear their t-shirts to the show no choice but to establish a new code of coolness by declaring themselves cooler than the people wearing the t-shirts.
yes. when i was at my duran duran concert in nashville i saw people walking around in tee shirts from the 1983 tour and 1993 tour (as well as shirts from the current tour) and i just couldn't help but roll my eyes. are we supposed to bow down and go "oh my god you've been a fan since (insert whatever year is applicable here), you're obviously a bigger fan than me?!"

didn't see it quite as much at the memphis concert but then again that's because the nashville concert was outdoors and the venue in memphis was at a theatre so people tend to dress up a bit more. if i wear tee shirts at all to a concert, they're not even remotely music related. i saw someone wearing a janis joplin tee shirt and i wasn't quite sure what to make of that.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think people should wear whatever the hell they want, other people's opinions be damned. To me, whether it's a brand new shirt or a shirt from many moons ago, it just shows that the person is excited about the band. I'm sure I've been guilty of calling this a concert foul at some point, but honestly, it shouldn't be a problem. I know I've mocked people for their homemade shirts before, but I've also praised them too when the shirts were really clever. For the most part, I personally try to wear the shirts of other bands than the one I'm seeing. But Chizip, if you wanna wear a certain shirt, just wear it. What other people think shouldn't matter.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:12 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I wore my Damien Rice t-shirt to see U2 in Denver although there was nothing on it to identify it as Damien Rice. That was my strategy to be cool: you had to be in the know to recognize it.

Seriously, I agree with HG and Mr Brau. The person who is bothered by someone wearing a tshirt by the band they're seeing is the one with the problem.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

10 people have voted that its not ok, yet none of you have spoken up...
Old 07-19-2005, 03:33 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:13 PM
it doesnt bother me persay, but it is a bit lame
it seems like poeple are trying to show off theyve either been to other concerts or simply that theyre just a HUGE fan, like if you have to have the band's t shirt ot be a fan
its a bit boring i guess