Don't be That Guy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

?

• Yes

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters
I used to make all my U2 shirts for the elevation and popmart tours. Now, I just wear whatever isn't going to make me hot after dancing the whole entire night at a U2 show. Its all about comfort. :)

However, I'm tempted to wear a U2 shirt to the upcoming Coldplay shows. lol.

:wink:

LATwins said:

However, I'm tempted to wear a U2 shirt to the upcoming Coldplay shows. lol.

:wink:

Well, I'll be driving my truck with the big white Coldplay sticker on it to the U2 show, so it's sort of the same thing.

i've been that guy in the form of the ratty old shirt and putting the new shirt on top of the old one, and more.

more?

here:

going to see a band while wearing a band shirt from a more obscure band which the band you're going to see gives a shout out to in one of their most popular song.

example: you go see band y wearing shirt with band z on it. band y has a rather popular song called "[insert name of song here]" in which they say in between choruses "this song goes out to band a, b, c, and z!".

or you go see band z wearing band q's shirt, when band q happens to be the slightly more popular band fronted (or co-fronted, or not fronted at all - maybe he's the drummer) by the frontman of band z's older brother.

or say band z were around for a few years, broke up, and half of them formed band g. then band g broke up, and they reformed band z. you then wear a band g shirt to a band z show. on purpose, of course, because you are sooooo cool and soooooo elitist that you own a band g shirt, even though they only put out one 7-song EP in their entire career.

:rolleyes:

i voted don't be that guy, but i really don't give a shit.

As someone who has one foot in the indie rock scene, I'm sorry to say that it is definitely NOT cool to wear a shirt of a band you're going to see. If you went to an indie rock show, people wouldn't be giving you dirty looks or anything, but they would quietly and instinctively record you in their minds as being a tool.

Having said that, being at a U2 show is a totally different thing. They're extremely mainstream, and have a really outward display of devotion, often embarassingly so. I don't think you'd be out of place wearing a U2 shirt to a U2 show.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. And in a display of complete honesty, I'm more likely to wear a shirt of a lesser-known or indie band when I see U2, so other U2 fans who like cool music will recognize me as another kindred spirit. U2 is a symbol of corporate rock to the indie world, so it's not a badge you can wear very proudly in that scene.

Hope that all made sense, even if you don't agree with the politics of it. But it's not as if a lot of thought goes into it. It's a natural reaction for me. I see a shirt of a band at the concert and I just kind of roll my eyes. I don't get all riled up or critical about it.

laz

BonoVoxSupastar said:
But you really know you're cool when you wear a U2 shirt to a Henry Rollins concert.

Could someone tell me what Henrey Rollins has said about U2?:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom