Don't be That Guy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

?

• Yes

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters
chiso said:
The question is:

Is it ok to wear ANOTHER BAND's shirt at a show???

(I wear a Beatles shirt to some show's (except U2 shows), cuz the people there won't say s**t... I mean , it's the Beatles!!):mad:

Definitely ok. Wear whatever you want. If you want to wear plaid pants with a striped shirt, do it. If you want to wear a Henry Rollins tee to a U2 show, do it (but be careful). ;)

KhanadaRhodes said:

just recently i saw an eight year old wearing a classic ac/dc shirt. after i thought how the band members could be his grandfather, i wondered if he actually liked the band or bought it to be cool or something.

I doubt many eight-year-olds are fully in control of purchasing their own wardrobes. I'm guessing an adult got it for him, which I think is actually pretty cool. If I had kids, I'd definitely buy them some throw-back rock concert shirts. :up:

And to give my opinion on the other question, I think it's great to wear other band's shirts to concerts. I had a really interesting conversation with a girl at the Stereophonics show about Placebo (I was wearing a Placebo shirt). I like showing that I'm a fan of other bands, and you never know what conversations will get started or what other fans you'll meet.

like i said, I'm fine w/ people wearing a shirt of the band they are about to see live.

It's similar to tailgating b4 the show and everyone is blasting the group's music from their cars. you hear the same group but a different song every 7 feet. I'm cool with that too. I think it helps the vibe.

I cant believe people actually think about this kind of crap, like if its right or wrong to wear a U2 shirt at a U2 concert. This has never even crossed my mind.. Who cares, wear whatever you want, support the band with your shirt.

It's only not okay if you're going to wear a really old band tee shirt and lord it over everyone because you were into them first.

:wink:

Where else would you wear it?

Which is more appropriate: a Boy T-Shirt at work or at a U2 gig? Makes more sense to wear it at the gig, where people actually know what the shirt is about.

Wear it where you want, when you want.

Who gives a damn?

Since I rarely pay attention to what other people are wearing, unless it's almost nothing, I see nothing wrong with wearing the band's shirt to the show and have done so many times and I'm fully aware that I'm not cool.

barlowdog said:
On the other hand, I think some people wear a shirt as a conversation starter.

A note to the Single ladies (or others :shrug: )...this is a great way to draw attention from guys/others (wearing a band T-shirt to another band's concert/show). It makes small talk really easy for guys who are not good at "small talk" (for example: MUSIC GEEKS).

T-shirts as Ice breakers! :up:

Mikal - WHO KNEW that your Michael Bolton shirt was FUNCTIONAL FASHION?//???/?//???

WHO? Tell me?!

zonelistener said:

A note to the Single ladies (or others :shrug: )...this is a great way to draw attention from guys/others (wearing a band T-shirt to another band's concert/show). It makes small talk really easy for guys who are not good at "small talk" (for example: MUSIC GEEKS).

Mikal - WHO KNEW that your Michael Bolton shirt was FUNCTIONAL FASHION?//???/?//???

WHO? Tell me?!

Thank you, Zoney! As I am a shy, music geek, you put my thoughts into words.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
All I request is that a person does not dress up like a band member or wear a costume that looks like a character that one of the band members played during a previous tour.:|

Go to an indie show in the East Village in NYC. 1/2 the guys there will have the same haircuts as the lead singer. Hipster nirvana.

zonelistener said:

i have a depeche mode 'violator' shirt that works exceptionally well in this regard. :flirt:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
All I request is that a person does not dress up like a band member or wear a costume that looks like a character that one of the band members played during a previous tour.:|

A friend of mine dated a guy who was a Marty Willson-Piper (extreme right side of the photo at the botton of this post) wannabe in the 80's. That guy's now a balding, married, lawyer and member of the Kiwanis. So much for the MWP fetish. :shrug:

On the plus side, he's undoubtably more financially stable than MWP. :)

my brother is a complete wannabe of the guitarist from the Mars Volta and it's really bad. H e ahs the huge afro, the same exact clothes, the same tight jeans, the boots, everything!
sorry but whoever it may be and whoever they may imitate, i think its just lame:|

Why not? People wear cub jerseys at cub games. Why not wear u2 shirts at u2 concerts?

Seriously though, I don't see any fucking problem with wearing your favourite bands tee shirts during one of their concerts.

While I personally dont/wouldnt wear a shirt of the same band, I never really notice or care if others are. Do what you please, you filthy sleeze.

zonelistener said:

No one talked to me about my Damien Rice t-shirt at the U2 show. And it's also the coolest t-shirt I have. :grumpy:

Someone did, however, use the amazingly clever opening line: "So, are you a big U2 fan?"

joyfulgirl said:

Someone did, however, use the amazingly clever opening line: "So, are you a big U2 fan?"

Hopefully you replied with, "Are you saying I'm fat???!!!!!!" :angry:

:wink:

:lol:

I ran into a friend yesterday from Colombia ---hadn't seen him in months--who said to me in Spanish, "I can see you're better now because you used to be skinny and now you're not so skinny" and I had to take a deep breath and calmly tell myself, "That's a compliment with his generation where he comes from, just say thank you" instead of what I wanted to say, which is what you just said.

Geez, and I couldn't have put on more than 5 lousy lbs. :mad:

It's common for people to say things like that in Japan also.

I hadnt seen some people I knew for about a year or so when I lived in Japan, the first thing they said to me when I saw them was, "You've gotten fat!!", with huge smiles on their faces (like it was a good thing). Needless to say, I upped the exercise regimen that night.

I did actually squeeze in an extra pilates class this week, lol. But mostly I'll be avoiding him, running the other way when I see him in the grocery store, like I used to do when I was 13 with my aunts who always always always had to comment on my weight, one way or the other.

Note to single men: do not comment on American women's weight to their faces. Ever.

Anyway, t-shirts :hyper:

i went to one of the Anahiem 2005 shows, and i wore that Acthung Baby shirt with the 3 logoes (face, star, car). it doesn't have "U2" printed on it, but it is a U2 shirt, and since its from the AB era only the cooler U2 fans knew what it was. . . i think that's fine to do

joyfulgirl said:

No one talked to me about my Damien Rice t-shirt at the U2 show. And it's also the coolest t-shirt I have. :grumpy:

I would have said something...:shifty:

I CANNOT believe someone stole my "U2" line. :angry:

zoney! said:

What is even geekier....wearing "retro" concert t-shirts you have picked up at Wal Mart and wearing them to a concert (like you were EVER old enought to see Floyd in concert).

One of my columns from newspaper senior year was about how people are wearing shirts like that and don't even know the music they're showing off. Maybe if I get the time, I can type it up on here. People seemed to enjoy it

Back
Top Bottom