Donnie Darko director's cut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
I just finished watching the Director's Cut of Donnie Darko and was disappointed.

1. The sound mix was awful. Too much over dub and reverb.
2. Song replacement in the beginning was a bad choice.
3. Not enough Frank Shots.
4. Addition of un-necessary scenes and deletion of necessary scenes.
5. Reverb on the "Mad World" track at the end.
6. Original Score replaced and or deleted.
7. The Director's Cut moves slower in terms of story line.
8. More unanswered questions and confusion.
9. Awful dialog replacement.

Thank god I rented it before I bought it at A&B Sound. There is a disc 2 which contains the on-set production documentary which will be worth watching I'm sure.

I haven't seen it yet, but now I'm pissed as I hear that "The Killing Moon" which had been at the beginning got moved to the party scene where "Under The Milky Way" had been before (and was perfect there, according to what I've heard). Love both songs, but the director's cut doesn't do either justice from what I understand.

Thanks for writing about this! Now I can save my money!!

And I totally agree with you indra - I love the placement of "Under the Milky Way" during the party scene.

Can someone summarize the basic meaning/message/point of Donnie? I just saw it the other night for the first time. I loved it, but I'm not sure why. I know I need to see it again, but give me your opinion on what's really going on here and what's really being said.

Thanks

JeffD

show your soul

I think i'm the only person i've ever met who didn't like Donnie Darko one little bit. I'm hoping watching it again might make me realise what i'm missing out on.

I have watched it numerous times including when drunk and I don't think it was great, maybe 2/5 or 3/5 ~ it just feels self-conscious, or something to that effect.

It has "The Killing Moon" and "Under The Milky Way" in it. It could suck donkey balls for all I care and I'd still speak well of it. OK, I haven't actually watched it yet, but damn! Songs by both Echo and The Bunnymen and The Church.... :drool:

I didn't like it either the 3 times I attempted to watch it. It felt like it was trying too hard to tell the story.

i first saw this couple years back (thanks to a teacher who let me borrow it for no reason) and fell in awe with the storyline and pyschological type of analysis, i have yet to see the director's cut but the original made me think and that's one of its strength. i love the ending, i know people who watched it and didnt like it same with amores perros...people didnt like the open ending, they find it unpleasant to have to be creative or analytical, i think this element is missing in many movies that come out today.

the entire movie was filmed at my school! (Loyola High School in Los Angeles) i haven't seen the whole thing but its cool to see your school in an entire movie.

I never saw the original, just watched the director's cut. My hubby saw both and said the director's cut made the movie much less confusing - but I guess I just don't get it. I don't understand what the big fuss is about :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom