Donations for New Server are needed! Please Read.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
As many of you know, the Interference.com forum/site has been quite slower than normal and at times offline for short spans of time.

Basically, we've out grown the main server the site is currently using and we MUST purchase a new one. If a new server is not purchased ASAP, the site will continue to slow down and become even less accessible.

Currently the Premium Membership and minimal advertising cover the montly operating costs of multiple servers which operate the entire scope of Interference.com. These membership fees were not created to fund a new server, as I was trying to keep the cost of membership at a minimum.

I am hoping that we can raise $2500, which will cover the cost of a new server that meets our needs, as well as the tax and shipping costs.

If you'd like to help make this happen and keep things running please consider making a donation.

To donate via PayPal use this link (this is the preferred method as it has the least merchant fees):
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/busin...Feedback&no_shipping=1&cn=Comments+(optional)

To donate via Amazon.com use this link (Please only use this if you can't donate via PayPal or by postal mail):
http://www.amazon.com/paypage/P22PPV3T5I2AA8

If you'd prefer to send a check or money order, please email me at donate@interference.com and ask for the mailing address.

I appreciate your support for the site, and as soon as donations start coming in I will post a tally on the site.

Thanks so much,

Joel Tanner

As a prospective investor with some useful disposable income, I'd like to inform you that I'm interested in your product. However, being market-sensible, I would like to see how my funds would be allocated, in a manner more specific than part of an arbitrary total in a fundraiser. Of course, this is a privately run site so the money may be filtered in any way the administrator chooses... but in my experience I've found that most reputable businessmen are forthcoming with their numbers. Response to my post isn't necessary, yet humouring my questions may bear fruit for your collection drive.

Actually, it all boils down to one issue... What server has been chosen by the administrators? And if the leadership wouldn't mind disclosing a link or product description, it would be seen as quite helpful in my (and others) decision-making. After all, we're here to serve the site and its membership.

Sincerely yours,

cujo

Last edited:
Cujo.

I'm acutally looking at a variety of custom configurations of tower and rack (1u) servers by Dell. How much we raise depends on what will be purchased, as well as what promotions are going on at the time... right now Dell has some AMAZING deals, like $500 of some of the 1U rack mounts. I'm also trying to find an affordable place to co-locate this puppy, which could easily cost 2400$+ a year (and that would be a good deal).

Basically, the goal is to have as fast as processor(s), as much memory, and as large as fast disks (RAID 0 or RAID 1), as possible. I'd like to be able to have redundant power supplies as well... but thats like another $300.

Last night I actually priced out my 'dream' server for Interference... and it came to about $3600. Obviously thats A LOT of money... much more than I'm sure we'll raise.

Elvis said:
Last night I actually priced out my 'dream' server for Interference... and it came to about $3600. Obviously thats A LOT of money... much more than I'm sure we'll raise.

Be sure to inform us when you've narrowed down the choice.

Thanks.

:up:

I wont have narrowed down the choice until we've raised the money nad actually place an order.

Again, it depends on what promotions are going on at the time, and of course.. how much we actually end up raising... and where I find a place for co-location.. which will decide if we're getting a tower or rackmount 1u. It's not as simple as ordering a specific model #, this will be a custom order.

Elvis said:

That doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount to raise for a board with a membership of over 20,000 (although I realize many of those are not very active and others cannot donate). It wouldn't take all that many people chipping in $10 to $50 (USD) each to get to that figure.

indra said:

That doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount to raise for a board with a membership of over 20,000 (although I realize many of those are not very active and others cannot donate). It wouldn't take all that many people chipping in $10 to $50 (USD) each to get to that figure.

Let me know when you get a donation from Ace or Gary. :wink:

I'm extremely anal, so I added 5 cents to my payment so we can have a round number.

Back
Top Bottom