Dominican Republic Superthread - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #466
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
i wasn't in fym during the days of nbcrusader, so i missed out on that, but i heard he was great too.
nbc was a good guy. I lurked during the end of his time. I respected him and I wish he'd come back to offset diamond, AchtungBono, et al.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #467
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:43 AM
He tried to summarize his arguments in a recent thread, and it was almost painful to watch. Really stupid. For the most part, I like his views and think he puts American conservatives to shame, but .... wow.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #468
Blue Crack Supplier

I always hear good things about NBC. Shame I missed out on him.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #469
Vocal parasite

Quote:

southern baptist in tennessee??? holy shit man.
Apparently this church was Southern Baptist by convenience and is about as liberal as they come. They'd thought about going independent but it was easier not to.

Which just made me even more terrified of what the seriously dedicated Southern Baptists must be like.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #470
Blue Crack Addict

i've tried to not post in FYM anymore. this election has me jaded and disappointed, and i'm sure spinning in circles with that forum will just magnify that. i try to stay away from those threads now.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #471
Blue Crack Supplier

And with that, I'm off to church.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #472
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

He's 19 or 20.

AchtungBono isn't American, and doesn't understand the concept of our country, in all honesty.
Dear God.

AchtungBono is just an extremist nut. I've said as much to her. She is to politics as trolls are to messageboards. I pointblank will not interact with her any more. She needs help.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #473
Vocal parasite

Quote:

same here. i guess that's "growing up". i kinda miss having something to believe in though.
For me, not believing in anything felt like a massive weight lifted off my shoulders. When I finally posted on my blog that I'm an agnostic, I'd essentially been an agnostic for at least 18 months with a veneer of theism, and it just felt so good to not have to play games any more, even though I was terrified what certain people I highly respect would think.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #474
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Apparently this church was Southern Baptist by convenience and is about as liberal as they come. They'd thought about going independent but it was easier not to.

Which just made me even more terrified of what the seriously dedicated Southern Baptists must be like.

i went to one when i was in blacksburg and i felt really awkward. i didn't like how they needed to know all my contact information. i had to wear a nametag and it was obvious i was new. i only went to accompany my friend, who was having a rough time.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #475
Blue Crack Addict

bye philly!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #476
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
And with that, I'm off to church.
See you later, PFan!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #477
Vocal parasite

Quote:

i went to one when i was in blacksburg and i felt really awkward. i didn't like how they needed to know all my contact information. i had to wear a nametag and it was obvious i was new. i only went to accompany my friend, who was having a rough time.
Wow, really? That would be extraordinarily uncomfortable. I'd have probably just walked out. Luckily this place didn't do anything like that. It had about 3,000 people and I could at least disappear into the crowd ... and wonder how the fuck so many crazy people could exist. I was pale when I left. And, well, you know I'm albino. It's not easy for me to look any more pale!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #478
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

For me, not believing in anything felt like a massive weight lifted off my shoulders. When I finally posted on my blog that I'm an agnostic, I'd essentially been an agnostic for at least 18 months with a veneer of theism, and it just felt so good to not have to play games any more, even though I was terrified what certain people I highly respect would think.

see for me...it's not really the same. i don't even feel comfortable saying i'm agnostic. it has nothing to do with what others think. it's what i feel. i used to feel so connected. my spiritual experience was solid and very internal. i used to meditate daily. i felt something, i really did. otherwise i wouldn't have stuck with it. so i just say "i don't kknow what to believe anymore." because i really don't. and i don't want to keep feeling like this either. i just want whatever it was i had back.

i used to feel like i had a place in this world, a purpose in the lives of others. now i just feel lost and detached.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #479
Vocal parasite

Quote:
see for me...it's not really the same. i don't even feel comfortable saying i'm agnostic. it has nothing to do with what others think. it's what i feel. i used to feel so connected. my spiritual experience was solid and very internal. i used to meditate daily. i felt something, i really did. otherwise i wouldn't have stuck with it. so i just say "i don't kknow what to believe anymore." because i really don't. and i don't want to keep feeling like this either. i just want whatever it was i had back.

i used to feel like i had a place in this world, a purpose in the lives of others. now i just feel lost and detached.
I admit, I find that so hard to relate to, because for the brief time I was religious, I was embarrassed. I actually feel uncomfortable saying the words "Jesus" and "Christian" and whatnot. I was raised non-religious and my first religious identification was as an atheist - it was all rather weird how I became religious really. I don't think it ever suited me, and I never managed to fit in with the community.

I know what you mean about feeling something, though. As I reverted to non-belief, there were some things I wanted to cling to. That's why it was a long term process. But finally I realised I was happier letting go of them. I finally feel like I'm actually connecting with theology. When I was Christian, I felt I wanted specific answers - I wanted to justify what I believed. I usually just ended up with more questions. Now I feel like I connect with those questions and can immerse myself in knowledge, without being obliged to reach conclusions or affirm any religion's creed. Intellectual freedom is really the centre of my life, and I think agnosticism gives me that.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #480
Blue Crack Addict

i personally never understood how my parents could find solace in doctrine. but they abide by it. their response is to not question things, which i think is ignorant. i guess it has to do with a difference in cognitive development. no church could ever really provide me all the answers in the world. and any one that claims to is lying.

i guess the source for my "belief" was what i felt inside. it's difficult to explain. but when i would retreat into myself, and drown out the world around me, i felt it right there. right there inside me!

it's hard to go back to something like that because it takes a lot of filtering to get to the innermost depths. a lot of revisiting of thoughts/fears that i'm just not prepared to confront right now.

i'm glad you're happy though!

Tags
superthread