Dominican Republic Superthread - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #406
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

G'day! We're now dragging this thread into intellectual territory.
Yes, and oddly enough I'm not included! And its getting towards my bedtime. I reckon i'll be out in 15.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:45 AM   #407
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:

LET'S DO IT.

Unfortunately, his birthday's in December.
Unbirthday present? Alice in Wonderland style?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #408
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic

i love unbirthdays!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #409
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Ax: I was wrong, it wasn't an entire essay unfortunately, but here's the important bit:

I can tell you, I wasn't a very popular person with a couple of the more evangelical spiritual types after reading that out loud in a study...
Ooh, that's very good. It's an interesting study in nation-building. The parallels between that and some of what went on in the 19th century would be extremely interesting to explore.

Furthermore, I feel it fits comfortably within a historical pattern of human behaviour and complements my argument of the Old Testament having entirely human origins. I believe it reveals nothing of divine behaviour, just humans being humans. It's like two kids bickering in the street. "If you don't give me that ice cream, my Dad will beat you up!" Well, no, he probably won't, but the other kid has been told that the father in question is a big 6'5" bloke named Daniel, so he fearfully gives bono_man2022 the ice cream.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #410
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man2002

Yes, and oddly enough I'm not included! And its getting towards my bedtime. I reckon i'll be out in 15.
You could always join in on our theologising.

Theologising? Did I just make up a word there?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #411
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I'm so down with this.

Though maybe Vazza or Jen will appreciate it a bit more.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #412
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Ooh, that's very good. It's an interesting study in nation-building. The parallels between that and some of what went on in the 19th century would be extremely interesting to explore.

Furthermore, I feel it fits comfortably within a historical pattern of human behaviour and complements my argument of the Old Testament having entirely human origins. I believe it reveals nothing of divine behaviour, just humans being humans. It's like two kids bickering in the street. "If you don't give me that ice cream, my Dad will beat you up!" Well, no, he probably won't, but the other kid has been told that the father in question is a big 6'5" bloke named Daniel, so he fearfully gives bono_man2022 the ice cream.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #413
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

You could always join in on our theologising.

Theologising? Did I just make up a word there?
I'll say you did, cause I've never heard of it before!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #414
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Exactly. Although, I do believe that you can find God in there somehow amidst the mess that the humans create. I just don't know how to explain it yet.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #415
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Fair enough. I would argue that you can apply a lot of the New Testament to contemporary life though, as long as you interpret correctly and within context - hence, "the Living Word".

And, let's be honest, this is pulling the thread up out of its depths. Also if this was posted in FYM, we'd just be flamed by redneck southern extremist Bible-bashers.
I think some of the ethical teachings certainly still have applicability. Like I said, my pacifism was originally derived from the Sermon on the Mount - it has stuck with me, even if the theism has not. However, I believe the central themes of the religion do not satisfy certain scholarly standards, and I am definitely not aware of any persuasive evidence for theism, nor do I accept the argument that I should "just have faith".

Yeah, this would be kind of scary in FYM.

I get the feeling you and I are going to have some bloody long theological conversations. Which is fantastic, because I've been dying for somebody to converse with on the topic. My religious friends on the Gold Coast just say "you gotta read Lee Strobel". No, piss off.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #416
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I thought you'd appreciate that.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #417
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:45 PM
i''ve never heard of lee strobel. what are they telling you to read?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #418
Blue Crack Addict

I'm outta here folks.

Shoulda gone a long time ago.

Have a great night/day!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #419
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
i''ve never heard of lee strobel. what are they telling you to read?
Strobel is a pop theologian. He offers very simplistic arguments. His book The Case For Christ enjoys a strong popularity amongst evangelical types.

I feel like the difference between Strobel and, say, Søren Kierkegaard or Paul Tillich is the same as between "My Big Book of Science" and Stephen Hawking.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #420
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I'm outta here folks.

Shoulda gone a long time ago.

Have a great night/day!

See ya! Great talking cricket!

Tags