Dominican Republic Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No spoken words said:

You comment about baseball fans was dead on. A lot of people claim to know the game well, but, when you talk strategy and such, they get exposed. I don't lose any sleep over it, who really cares, but it's true. Even at my old job, where we televised baseball out the ass, there was a distinct lack of knowledge beyond stats and standings.

The best is going to a game and listening to the pedantic fans try to "explain" the game to their less knowledgeable friends "Ok, that was a suicide squeeze.....a good time for a squeeze is with the bases loaded and nobody out"

I love those people for occasional comments but when they keep a running commentary I want to punch them. I also love people who cheer wildly from the bleachers as a foul ball or ball right out of the infield dirt gets hit. And people who say "sac fly!" on a 2 out fly ball.

No spoken words said:
You comment about baseball fans was dead on. A lot of people claim to know the game well, but, when you talk strategy and such, they get exposed. I don't lose any sleep over it, who really cares, but it's true. Even at my old job, where we televised baseball out the ass, there was a distinct lack of knowledge beyond stats and standings.

The best is going to a game and listening to the pedantic fans try to "explain" the game to their less knowledgeable friends "Ok, that was a suicide squeeze.....a good time for a squeeze is with the bases loaded and nobody out"

Nor do I lose any sleep over it, I was just giving Axver context of the joke I made. I think that's true in a lot of sports, especially American Football, where half the coaches don't even understand strategy.

Fans trying to pretend they understand is high on my unintentional comedy scale.

Dalton said:

I know everyone always wants to talk about Harry Carrey, but if God has a voice I bet he sounds just like Ernie Harwell.

Did you ever get a chance to hear him call a game?

Caray was a lovable figure, but, not exactly the gold standard for broadcasting.

I'd heard Harwell more than once.

Scully is my favorite of all-time, though. He's losing his fastball now, but, when I first got to LA it was a real treat to listen to him do 9 innings, by himself.

Remy/Orsillo are one of the better color/pxp teams in the Regional Sports business.

Dalton said:

I know everyone always wants to talk about Harry Carrey, but if God has a voice I bet he sounds just like Ernie Harwell.

Did you ever get a chance to hear him call a game?

Harry Kalas, man. Hometown as it may sound, his voice is it.

No spoken words said:

I just watched ep #9 of Season 5 and it kicked my ass....alternately intense and moving. I'll miss this show badly, glad you finally got into it, prick.

Yeah I'm about to watch 9. I am confused about if I've seen 8 though, cause they changed the numbering after the DVD sent to reviewers leaked. I also haven't seen an ep since January when I watched all the leaked episodes.

I'm gonna miss it so much too, but it's not a show that'll get old to watch again.

Screwtape2 said:
I was wondering what your opinion on Outsider and Earthling were?

Haven't gotten there yet.I've gone in this order so far:

Ziggy Stardust
Hunky Dory
Aladdin Sane
Station to Station
Low

I'm on Low now. It gets better with each listen. :up:

People, you're all wrong about commentary. It's either Richie Benaud or the mute button.

Varitek said:

Yeah I'm about to watch 9. I am confused about if I've seen 8 though, cause they changed the numbering after the DVD sent to reviewers leaked. I also haven't seen an ep since January when I watched all the leaked episodes.

I'm gonna miss it so much too, but it's not a show that'll get old to watch again.

Is it over at the end of season 5?

in other news I :heart: my new jeans!! not as enthused about my new bras. Lovin' the new sweater. New shoes too. Not lovin' the dent in $.

Varitek said:

The Final episode of Season 4 was the best episode of television I've ever seen. Just amazing.

And, yes, it will be re-watchable, but, I'll want to give it time before I break it back out.

Dalton said:

Is it over at the end of season 5?

Yup. Next Sunday's episode is 95 minutes, and then they're done. David Simon's next project for HBO is about the Iraqi War.

HBO has a miniseries on John Adams starting on 3/16, with Paul Giamatti as the lead.....hope it's good.

No spoken words said:

He does have amazing pipes.

Baseball for the mother fucking WIN, take that Crugby or Ricket or New Zealand rules soccer and shove it.

:)

Philly's had some great announcers. Kalas has a great voice, though he's starting to show his age in his comments these days. Whitey Ashburn was the best as Harry's partner, and, unfortunately, no one since then has come close to matching his color.

Merrill Reese, the Eagles radio announcer, is the funniest announcer I've ever heard. Blatantly hometown, but hilarious in his excitement and refereeing critiques.

And of course, we had Gene Hart.

Screwtape2 said:
I'm sort of pissed I wasn't mentioned by him. Is that wrong of me to think? :)

I can call you a pompous assclown if you want. In size seven font even. :wink:

YES!!!!!! my life is complete, I've been waiting for somebody to call me a pompous assclown on the interwebs. Now I can die happy.

Varitek said:
in other news I :heart: my new jeans!! not as enthused about my new bras. Lovin' the new sweater. New shoes too. Not lovin' the dent in $.

shopping today? ugh i hate bra shopping. there is nothing more frustrating. i'm picky, and convinced that they don't make what i prefer anymore. i wish american apparel had more cushion to hide the nips when it gets cold. i love how they just slip right on and off without hooks and you feel like you're not wearing anything.

phillyfan26 said:

Philly's had some great announcers. Kalas has a great voice, though he's starting to show his age in his comments these days. Whitey Ashburn was the best as Harry's partner, and, unfortunately, no one since then has come close to matching his color.

Merrill Reese, the Eagles radio announcer, is the funniest announcer I've ever heard. Blatantly hometown, but hilarious in his excitement and refereeing critiques.

And of course, we had Gene Hart.

The current Yankee broadcasters are a mixed bag. Michael Kay is horrid, but, Al Leiter is pretty decent...smart, insightful and does not give you the usual bullshit. John Flaherty is solid. Singleton was a lot better with Jim Kaat around. For all the $$$ YES spends on Yankee telecasts, you'd think they could have a better pxp guy than Kay. It's sad that I'd rather listen to Remy/Orsillo on NESN when the Yanks and Sox play.

Varitek said:
YES!!!!!! my life is complete, I've been waiting for somebody to call me a pompous assclown on the interwebs. Now I can die happy.

:hi5:

Apparently I think I own the place too.

I'm changing my location to "The Assver-Hole."

Varitek said:
:ohmy: that comment thread got long. Dude get a life.

My postwhoring is being seriously inhibited by how slow my computer has been.

I can't believe he kept coming back. It's not as if he was getting e-mail notification of comments. He was actually frequently returning to see if we'd replied. What a miserable prat. :laugh:

OOOOH that's where assver came from.

2 men want to know about my shoe shopping, though I suspect they really want to know about the bras.

I bought a pair of $75 winter boots for like $20, they are black and cute and have a slight heal but nothing uncomfortable and knit legging that goes to mid-calf with fake fur on the top. wow that sounds tacky...but they aren't.

and a pair of black sketchers, the kind without laces, to replace 2 pairs of sneakers that were falling apart: the same sketchers in white and a pair of black esprits that are nearly 4 years old and literally disintegrating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom