Dominican Republic Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
Same here. I'm especially interested in its socio-cultural and socio-political expression. It's one thing to adhere to a creed, but I'm most fascinated by how such beliefs motivate people to behave - or, in many cases, how people behave motivates what creeds they are willing to accept. And religion as a political construct is a particular interest of my political scientist side.

:nerd:
... I'll come back to this when my head's not full of snot. :D

Axver said:

:lmao:

500 posts a day over the weekend? That's pretty fucking nuts. Look what you people have done to me. Thank goodness uni starts tomorrow.

Yeah, so now your grades can drop and your posts continue to grow.

:lol:

Axver said:

Same here. I'm especially interested in its socio-cultural and socio-political expression. It's one thing to adhere to a creed, but I'm most fascinated by how such beliefs motivate people to behave - or, in many cases, how people behave motivates what creeds they are willing to accept. And religion as a political construct is a particular interest of my political scientist side.

:nerd:

Religion as a political construct, I concluded myself, is usually a very dangerous thing - it's usually quite bad when people transport their religious beliefs into their politics (because the transition is often crap due to faulty theology)

major_panic said:
:hi5: It's one of the reasons why I really, really love my uni course combination at the moment.
I'd love to learn more about comparitive theology... but I'm pretty much over uni. I'll just have to get around to reading some books on it...

major_panic said:

Religion as a political construct, I concluded myself, is usually a very dangerous thing - it's usually quite bad when people transport their religious beliefs into their politics (because the transition is often crap due to faulty theology)

One of my central arguments against Christianity, and one which I look forward to discussing at length with you, is that much of the Old Testament is sanctified political propaganda. The invokation of Yahweh was a tool of political convenience and a method of the elite exerting control over the masses.

Alisaura said:

I'd love to learn more about comparitive theology... but I'm pretty much over uni. I'll just have to get around to reading some books on it...

Fair enough. I absolutely love it though, that one of the subjects offerred in my theology course is "Understanding Islam" and includes compulsory discussion with an Islamic scholar!

Also how where I'm studying, they don't call it the Old Testament but the Hebrew Bible.

Axver said:

One of my central arguments against Christianity, and one which I look forward to discussing at length with you, is that much of the Old Testament is sanctified political propaganda. The invokation of Yahweh was a tool of political convenience and a method of the elite exerting control over the masses.

I honestly don't know what to make of the Old Testament. I'm still trying to get my head around it. I mean, look at the book of Deuteronomy - there's political control if you ever saw it! (I wrote an essay partly based on that)

Thank God for Jesus, eh? Although I will say that the Old Testament HAS to be somehow reconciled or explained with the New - Christians can't just ignore it.

major_panic said:
Fair enough. I absolutely love it though, that one of the subjects offerred in my theology course is "Understanding Islam" and includes compulsory discussion with an Islamic scholar!
Now that would be awesome!

Alisaura said:

:ohmy:

'grats!

Speech? :wink:

Well, it's been nearly five years. I'd just like to thank all the One fans. I couldn't have done it without arguing with you. Cheers, and please go wax your ears.

:wink:

bono_man2002 said:

Congrats on 8158 too :applaud:

:wink:

We should find some random n00b and all of us congratulate them on their 24th post or something equally random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom