Dog food recall alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
As an animal lover I'm posting this to make sure the word spreads any way I can. There has been a recall of dog food that has been killing dogs with liver failure and sadly the news has spread so slow it's still happening. Please do not buy or feed you dogs:

Diamond
Country Value
Professional

dog food brands, they are being recalled and have a poison in them:(

23 dogs killed by toxic dog food
Dog food sold in 23 states

Friday, December 30, 2005; Posted: 9:18 p.m. EST (02:18 GMT)

Digger, a 10-year-old golden retriever, is hooked up to an IV after eating a batch of the contaminated dog food.

WHERE THE FOOD WAS SOLD
Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Vermont, and Virginia.
WASHINGTON, D.C. (AP) -- Contaminated dog food which was sold in 23 states killed nearly two dozen dogs and sickened 18 more, the Food and Drug Administration said Friday.

The deaths and illnesses sparked an FDA investigation into the pet food made by the Diamond Pet Food Company at its Gaston, South Carolina, manufacturing plant. The FDA said so far 23 animal deaths have been linked to the pet food.

The company, based in Meta, Missouri, issued a recall of 19 varieties of dog and cat food on December 21 because some of the pet food made at the Gaston facility was discovered to contain aflatoxin.

Aflatoxin, a naturally occurring chemical that comes from a fungus sometimes found on corn and other crops, can cause severe liver damage. Aflatoxin poisoning can cause sluggishness, a lack of appetite and in severe cases severe vomiting, fever and jaundice.

The recalled pet food was sold in 23 states under the brand names Diamond, Country Value and Professional, and bears the date codes of March 1, 2007, through June 11, 2007. Consumers are asked to immediately stop using the product.

Last week, Tony Caver, the state veterinarian in South Carolina, said that state has five presumed cases linked to aflatoxin, including three fatalities.

Seven dogs from the Rochester, New York, area were being treated at Cornell University Hospital for Animals for liver disease and failure after eating contaminated food, said university spokeswoman Sabina Lee. An area veterinarian discovered the link after three dogs died in the area, she said.

In a December 20 press release, the company said it had notified distributors to hold up the further sale of Diamond pet food that had used corn. The next day it ordered the recall.

"To ensure we got all the affected product or potential to be affected, we cast a very wide net with the recall," Diamond spokesman Jim Fallon said Friday. He said the company is conducting tests and has set up a consumer information center, open seven days a week, to handle consumer questions.

"We are working with customers and their vets to confirm a link between the pet food and the pet's illnesses," he said. "Our whole focus is saving pets' lives and doing the right thing."

The company said it was analyzing retained samples of all of the affected pet food products in Gaston in an attempt to isolate specific lot numbers that were impacted and provide the information to distributors, retailers and customers.

According to the company, the pet food was distributed to stores in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Vermont, and Virginia.

The FDA said some of the recalled product had been exported to at least 29 countries, including several in the European Union. Those countries have been notified, the agency said.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

OMG that is so horrible! Thank GOD none are my brands! Thanks so much for this, Sicy.....I will pass this on to my pet loving but non-Interference people.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Cat food too eh? Glad Michigan's not on the list!

Michigan IS on the list.

Fortunately I have to buy special dog food from my dogs Vet because she has allergies of all things and is allergic to alot of over the counter brands.

Blue Room said:

Michigan IS on the list.

Fortunately I have to buy special dog food from my dogs Vet because she has allergies of all things and is allergic to alot of over the counter brands.

oops. WTF? At the top, MI is on the list, but at the bottom is says where the food was sdistributed and MI is not. :huh:

I'll go check and see what brand Melissa has been buying...

Cat food too, and in VA? I didn't know that, thanks Sicy! I have never seen any of those brands anywhere I shop, but I'm spreading the word to all pet owners I know anyway.

Back
Top Bottom