Dog/Cat Food Recall - Menu Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
Please see if your pet food is on this list.

Recalled Dog Product Information
Recall Information 1-866-895-2708

Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
Authority
Award
Best Choice
Big Bet
Big Red
Bloom
Bruiser
Cadillac
Companion
Demoulas Market Basket
Eukanuba
Food Lion
Giant Companion
Great Choice
Hannaford
Hill Country Fare
Hy-Vee
Iams
Laura Lynn
Loving Meals
Meijers Main Choice
Mighty Dog Pouch
Mixables
Nutriplan
Nutro Max
Nutro Natural Choice
Nutro Ultra
Nutro
Ol'Roy Canada
Ol'Roy US
Paws
Pet Essentials
Pet Pride - Good n Meaty
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority
Publix
Roche Bros
Save-A-Lot
Schnucks
Shep Dog
Springsfield Prize
Sprout
Stater Bros
Total Pet
Western Family
White Rose
Winn Dixie
Your Pet

Please note that for both cats and dogs, this is only the wet food, usually the "cuts and gravy" kind. I about had a heart attack over the weekend because a kind of food both my and my parents' cats eat was on the list.

If your cat or dog is refusing to eat or acting unlike his/her usual self, please get to the vet! These foods are believed to have caused serious kidney problems and even death in some pets.

Here are the cat food brands:

1. Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
2. Authority
3. Best Choice
4. Companion
5. Compliments
6. Demoulas Market Basket
7. Eukanuba
8. Fine Feline Cat
9. Food Lion
10. Foodtown
11. Giant Companion
12. Hannaford
13. Hill Country Fare
14. Hy-Vee
15. Iams
16. Laura Lynn
17. Li'l Red
18. Loving Meals
19. Meijer's Main Choice
20. Nutriplan
21. Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
22. Nutro Natural Choice
23. Paws
24. Pet Pride
25. Presidents Choice
26. Price Chopper
27. Priority
28. Save-A-Lot
29. Schnucks
30. Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans
31. Sophistacat
32. Special Kitty Canada
33. Special Kitty US
34. Springfield Prize
35. Sprout
36. Total Pet
37. Wegmans
38. Western Family
39. White Rose
40. Winn Dixie

BonoIsMyMuse said:

21. Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
22. Nutro Natural Choice

:mad:

I can't believe Nutro is on that list. Although we normally don't feed our cats the wet food - just occasionally as a treat...

I bought Nutro because I thought it was another brand not affiliated with all those others like Iams and Science Diet. Now I find out that its all one big company... :madspit:

Have to find another brand I guess. Any suggestions which are not on the above list?

elevated_u2_fan said:

:mad:

I can't believe Nutro is on that list. Although we normally don't feed our cats the wet food - just occasionally as a treat...

That's one of the brands of dry food that my and my parents' cats eat as a treat, so I was really worried.

My cat doesn't usually eat wet food, but he had an antibiotic recently that needed to be mixed with wet food. He liked the Meow Mix Market Selects and the Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys. They were a little expensive (the FF was 75 cents a can), but if you're just using them as a treat, it should be okay.

Last edited:
One of my mom's cat eats some of the recalled stuff. :( He has bad teeth, so he likes to eat food with gravy so he can lick all the gravy up. He seems like he is all right, but she's really worried. :(

elevated_u2_fan said:

I can't believe Nutro is on that list.

I couldnt believe it was on the list as well :|

I used to feed my cats Nutro because it has no by-products and its a great food.

Well now they are both on vet RX diets so at least I dont have to worry about the recall stuff but that is really depressing.

My cats eat a mixture of Iams kitten (Marijke), Authority and Science Diet - the Authority Indoor Adult is nearly scent-less and has REALLY helped control the smell of multiple litter boxes in a little apartment, but eating that alone they are always hungry so the Science Diet is what they enjoy and has kept them all at a good weight.

Luckily, none of them ever get wet food unless it's the free stuff that comes in the litter buckets, so they should be safe.

However, my mom told me her friend's dog died of kidney failure unexpectedly, just days after she'd seen a vet and been given a perfect bill of health. Hmm....

elevated_u2_fan said:

Hmm, I've seen this stuff before. Does anyone else give this to their cats? It seems a little $$ so I want to make sure it's worth it...

Just the fact that it's all human grade and is all meat based with no corn or fillers is enough for me. I check the ingredients on her food just like I do mine now. If I won't eat the stuff it's made of I won't give it to her. My dog eats better than I do, that's for sure.

Liesje said:
However, my mom told me her friend's dog died of kidney failure unexpectedly, just days after she'd seen a vet and been given a perfect bill of health. Hmm....

:(

It sounds like the problems caused by these foods have been very quick moving. Food recalls for humans are a little less worrisome in my mind, because people can tell when they need to see a doctor. Even children can cry or somehow indicate that something is wrong. With pets, they may be acting fine until they're very, very sick.

It amazes me that so many different brands are all made by the same company, from store brands all the way up through some of the highly regarded brand names.

It's scary that there have been so many problems recently with both people and pet foods. You'd think that health and safety would be among the highest concern for companies, but I worry that some cut corners when they think they can get away with it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005...planet/main1172326.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Here's one of the articles about the recall. This has to do with a fungus that is found on corn and other crops. Corn is a common ingredient in most commercial pet foods. In my opinion, not exactly the natural diet of carnivorous animals (and yes I know some consider certain species omnivorous). At any rate, this is part of why I feed a meat based food.

clarityat3am said:
I feed my dog Wellness, canned and dry. It's one of the best foods out there, in my opinion.

I started feeding my dog Wellness and it didn't agree with his poor tummy.

After a few other "organic" foods, he was finally able to tolerate Pedigree dry crunchy, after awhile he wasn't to fond of it so I started mixing a half of can of Alpo select cuts with the dry and now he eats his whole bowl!!!

I haven't seen these on any list and I checked my packages, I hope its okay.

Last edited:
The best food is Royal Canin or Eukanuba, but they're very expensive... I feed my dog with a supermarket food and she never had problems... But anyway, try not to give them thoso colourful foods...

MrsSpringsteen said:
My dog eats dry food from the vet, but it is still so scary. How do you ever know for sure what's really in it and that it's not contaminated somehow?

I don't think we'll ever really know what's in some of them.

annie_vox said:
The best food is Royal Canin or Eukanuba, but they're very expensive... I feed my dog with a supermarket food and she never had problems... But anyway, try not to give them thoso colourful foods...

I was reading some threads on dog food at a dog forum I belong to. I don't have a dog, so I have no experience with foods, but several people posted saying they had switched to high quality brands and were saving money because they were feeding their dogs far less since the better brands have more nutrients and no by-products that just leave the dog still hungry. It's pretty much a trade-off.

With my cats I try to compromise by mixing a medium-priced brand with something that is more nutritious. Better for the cats and better on my wallet!

^^ Every dry food is better than all the rest... You will avoid a lot of digestive problems and tooth problems like that. Of course there are some brands better then others but that doesn't mean you have to buy them all the time, especially because they're very expensive... I'm sure that mix suits just fine for your cats;)

BonoIsMyMuse said:

It amazes me that so many different brands are all made by the same company, from store brands all the way up through some of the highly regarded brand names.

Well, I think it's interesting to see that such a long list of pet food could even exist without including Master Foods.

Here in Germany, and I think in whole Europe, they are more or less a monopoly.

You have Snickers, Twix, Balisto, Mars, Milky Way... for humans, Pedigree, Caesar, Whiskas, Sheba, Trill... for animals and, more in the US but getting to Europe, vendors for humans as well.

annie_vox said:
^^ Every dry food is better than all the rest... You will avoid a lot of digestive problems and tooth problems like that. Of course there are some brands better then others but that doesn't mean you have to buy them all the time, especially because they're very expensive... I'm sure that mix suits just fine for your cats;)

Yep. If anyone thinks less of anyone else for the pet food they choose, just remember there are plenty of great (human) mothers in third world countries! :wink:

I also prefer dry kibble. I've got one cat with tooth problems already, so I like him to be crunching as much as possible.

Did that Greenie treats for dogs ever get re-called back? because I remember like many dogs on the news were dying because the stuff is very hard to digest...

like a month later I stilled found that stuff at Petco...

tpsreports2424 said:
Did that Greenie treats for dogs ever get re-called back? because I remember like many dogs on the news were dying because the stuff is very hard to digest...

like a month later I stilled found that stuff at Petco...

The main problem with Greenies is that any dog needs to be supervised with chew treats, even rubber or rope ones. If a dog can chew off a large chunk they'll just swallow it b/c they don't know any better. It's mostly the large chunks that are what is indigestible; the ingredients themselves aren't inherently good or bad. Any dog should always be supervised with chew treats of any brand.

I hope the company can quickly determine what happened...it’s so sad that a number of pets may have died because of this...I give my dog Iams, but it’s the dry mix, fortunately.

clarityat3am said:
Just the fact that it's all human grade and is all meat based with no corn or fillers is enough for me. I check the ingredients on her food just like I do mine now. If I won't eat the stuff it's made of I won't give it to her. My dog eats better than I do, that's for sure.

When these kinds of stories happen, it’s always easy to attack the methods that lead to potential tainting, but I’ve always been rather skeptical of the nutritional value of pet food. Part of this may be due to the fact that I’m guilty of treating my dog like a human at times. For example, if I’m eating a turkey sandwich, she’ll be right at my feet, staring up at me with her hopeless and beady little eyes. It’s impossible to deny her! :wink:

Most of the time, she does eat her mountain of kibbles…despite my corrupting. But, I sometimes wonder if I should be preparing her food, instead of trusting a faceless corporation to do it for me.

angelordevil said:

Most of the time, she does eat her mountain of kibbles…despite my corrupting. But, I sometimes wonder if I should be preparing her food, instead of trusting a faceless corporation to do it for me.

I was surprised to learn how many dog owners do prepare their dog's food. I can't even prepare healthy food for myself, so I'd probably kill a dog, but there are many who do. I imagine it takes some time and consultations with the vet to determine the right balance for the particular dog, but it can only make the dog healthier.

tpsreports2424 said:
Well yes of course, but I thought it saying that not of how much goes into the body, but the ingredients in it.

Everything I've read only talks about the big chunks breaking off and causing esophageal obstructions. The ingredients themselves are digestible. They're the most popular dog treat, so the number of incidences (because the dog swallowed too big a chunk) is actually relatively low relative to how many sell.

Back
Top Bottom