Dog/Cat Food Recall - Menu Foods - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2007, 12:09 AM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Oh no that's horrible, and really disturbing. I would die if anything happened to our Riley. It was a year ago that our other dog Yankee bit my son. My kids can't go through another heart break right after that. I am giving my dog pedigree but I am still heading for Natures Balance. After reading the web site I feel a little better in giving him that instead of the Pedigree which was safe but you never know.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:02 PM
All my critters are doing well and I didn't feed any of the recalled foods. However, wheat gluten is used as a meat substitute, so if that's where the problem is, I probably have more risk of complications than my pets.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER
Oh no that's horrible, and really disturbing. I would die if anything happened to our Riley. It was a year ago that our other dog Yankee bit my son. My kids can't go through another heart break right after that. I am giving my dog pedigree but I am still heading for Natures Balance. After reading the web site I feel a little better in giving him that instead of the Pedigree which was safe but you never know.
Sorry to hear of the dog bite. My uncle's first dog bit my cousin (who was about 18 mos at the time) multiple times. They are very hard situations to deal with.

As for the food, you mean Natural Balance? If so, IMO that's one of the BEST dog foods available, definitely premium quality, maybe super-premium even. If I had a dog, I'd try Natural Balance kibble as my first choice. Pedigree is near the bottom of the list as far as quality.

For dogs, the simplest indicator of quality is the ingredient list. You always want to see a meat listed first, and preferably not a "meal" and definitely not a "by-product". Also, wheat, soy, and corn are not good grains for dogs. Rice, barley, and oatmeal are better.

Pedigree Large Breed Dog Food:
"Ground Whole Corn, Meat and Bone Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal..."

Natural Balance Dry Dog Food:
"Chicken, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Duck Meal, Potatoes, Carrots...."

No by-products, corn, or wheat in NB....good stuff!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes, I meant Natural Balance. He seems to like it so we are on our way to switching. He especially likes the treats! This scare of food has me so paranoid, I have even had a few bad dreams about it. Weird huh?

I'll post an updated picture of Riley later.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

JC, I'd like to try Natural Balance cat formula if I can find a retailer here that carries it.

I got a packet in the mail today from my vet and assumed it would be info about the recall, but it's just a promo for a heartworm preventative.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

I know Petco carries it and if you look on their website they have free shipping sometimes.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Cool, I think we have a Petco around here somewhere because I have their card on my keychain.

Today I made the decision to apply to the Michigan German Shepherd Dog Rescue and our app was accepted into their pool!! They rehome over 300 purebred GDSs every year, so even if I'm picky (I have preferences for coat length, body structure, and some patterning preferences), something should come along by the time we have a yard.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

My dog used to eat Royal Canin from the vet until he switched her to something else

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The pet food recall expanded further Tuesday to include products made at a Canadian factory recently found to have used an ingredient tainted by an industrial chemical.

Menu Foods previously had recalled only cat and dog food made at its plants in New Jersey and Kansas, saying they were its only facilities to have taken delivery of imported wheat gluten later found contaminated with melamine.

However, Menu Foods discovered Monday that some of the tainted wheat gluten had made it to Canada. It was prompted to account for the ingredient by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which told the company that tests had detected the chemical in pet foods made at its Streetsville, Ontario, plant.

Menu spokesman Sam Bornstein said the amount accounted for just 1 percent of the adulterated Chinese wheat gluten purchased by Menu Foods. It was used in pet foods made in December and January.

Among the products covered by the expanded recall is Royal Canin Canada's Medi-Cal Feline Dissolution Formula canned diet, made by Menu Foods and sold only through veterinarians. A single production lot contained the contaminated wheat gluten, the company said.

"After being repeatedly reassured by Menu Foods, as reinforced by FDA public statements, that none of the contaminated wheat gluten had made its way to Canada, we were completely shocked to learn yesterday that this was not the case," Xavier Unkovic, Royal Canin Canada's chief executive officer, said in a statement.

Menu Foods was the first of at least six companies to recall pet food and treats made with the tainted Chinese wheat gluten. It alone has recalled 100 brands of pet foods, sold throughout North America under its private and major labels. It posted Tuesday an updated list of recalled products on its Web site, http://menufoods.com/recall/.

The FDA has blocked wheat gluten imports from a Chinese company while it investigates how melamine could have contaminated the vegetable protein. (Details on recall)

This week, a large veterinary hospital chain says it recorded a 30 percent increase in kidney failure among cats during the three months that pet food contaminated with melamine was sold.

Those results were reported Monday by Banfield, The Pet Hospital, based upon an analysis of records collected by its more than 615 veterinary clinics.

The analysis suggests that out of every 10,000 cats and dogs seen in Banfield clinics, three developed kidney failure during the time pet food contaminated with melamine, a chemical used to make plastic kitchenware, countertops, fertilizers and flame retardants, was on the market. The chemical appears to have been more toxic to cats than to dogs.

Here's the list

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Pres...2007Canada.htm
Old 04-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Awwwwe come on now. I am going to need severe therapy when this is all over with.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #85
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:02 PM
i say we just recall everything and ban wheat gluten extreme? yes, but who cares.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #86
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Great I got to freak out again because Saki is on Royal Canin urinary S/O but its not the recalled one. Checked my cans at home and they dont have wheat gluten in it thankfully.

However my friend is feeding her cat PurinaOne that has wheat gluten in it but it is not on the recall list and there is a detailed FAQs sheet on the Purina website that is a bit comforting. I guess they dont get their wheat gluten from China/menu foods.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
i say we just recall everything and ban wheat gluten extreme? yes, but who cares.
I agree. Wheat gluten isn't a proper source of anything anyway.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #88
Refugee

Local Time: 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

I agree. Wheat gluten isn't a proper source of anything anyway.
Yes that's for caws not cats or dogs...

Sometimes they use such strange things on dog and cat foods... You have no idea... When I had Animal Nutrition, our professor told us that they use almost everything that people usualy don't like to eat, I mean lungs and stuff like that... there's nothing wrong with that, but when you think about it... As long as it has the essential amino acids and other nutrients there's no problem. and the best food are the ones that are not colourful

It's worse when it comes to food for pigs...
Old 04-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

OKAY-

NATURES BALANCE HAS JUST RECALLED THEIR FOOD TOO:

BROWN RICE AND VENISON- DRY FOOD
WONDERFUL THATS WHAT I'VE BEEN SWITCHING MY DOG OVER TOO.

I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN
Old 04-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #90
Blue Crack Distributor

I think at this point I'm going to start making Mia's food. I had to buy her food this weekend and the Purina Cat Chow is ok - for now.