Dog/Cat Food Recall - Menu Foods - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ~BrightestStar~
I haven't kept completely up to date on everything, but on the news up here when they were talking about it, I was left with the distinct impression that a factory just outside of Toronto was involved...especially since the head of said factory was giving the press release..(ie nothing to do with China what so ever).
Which is true??
Or are multiple factories involved?

I hope it doesn start applying to dry food too.

And the pic of Pebbles....poor puppy.

Poor Pebbles.

Apparently, the same wheat gluten from China has been shipped to other (dry) pet food manufacturers, but they're not releasing any information at this point. I’m wondering if it’s the brand my dog eats, which is slightly more expensive than some brands (yet it seems to be the premium brands that are most affected).

Hopefully this whole thing will underscore the importance of some kind of pet food regulation. I can’t believe there’s nothing. Canada should take the lead on this.

Also, why can’t wheat gluten come from our local companies? Nothing against China, but if we pride ourselves on being so proactive with our own human health in North America, why can’t we be the same way with our pets?

Coco is staring at her bowl of kibbles and giving me the evil eye. I think she's been reading the newspaper again...maybe I’ll take her out for pizza.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:15 AM   #62
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:35 AM
The dry food that was recalled is made by Hills, a prescription diet called m/d. We did have a cat last week that was eating this that had sudden kidney failure and had to be euthanized because he was not responding to aggressive treatment - though we had no reason to think it was the food that was the culprit at the time. We're trying to prevent the same from happening with his sister housemate.

Of course this is great that the announce this at the end of the day on Fri when most hospitals are closed on the weekend. We are open all day Sat and Sun so I'm sure we'll be swamped

Old 03-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

My dog eats Prescription Hills J/D. Even though the Hills web site says that one cat food is the only possible one affected, I am afraid to give it to her. We are going to contact her vet and I would like her kidney function checked too.

She is going on organic food asap-either Newman's Own or another brand. I know organic isn't 100 % safe either but it would be much more peace of mind for me. That is if I can even find any in stores considering what is happening. There's always online.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

So it's only a certain Hill's cat prescription being recalled, kibble-wise?

This whole thing is just so sad. And if wheat gluten is the culprit, it's even more sad. Wheat gluten is not even good for dogs, it's just a filler.

The only good thing that may come out of this massive recall is people paying more attention to pet foods and considering premium or super-premium brands (or home cooked). Not that premium brands have not had their own recalls in the past, but they don't seem to be a part of this one. I don't think any of the recalled foods are premium brands, at least not on the dog side (I don't know as much about cat foods). No pet food food containing wheat gluten is premium quality. The crappy thing is that most of the premium and super-prem foods are not available in super markets or larger chain pet stores. Pet owners make the assumption that a food that seems popular and is advertised on TV = good food. For example, Purina has tons of commercials in conjunction with AKC events, and this is one of the worst possible foods for a dog. Premium foods are harder to find and sometimes have to be special ordered.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #65
Refugee

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Well I went out earlier this week and brought food for our pets since they were running out. They eat Hill's Science Diet Nature's Best pet food. Now that Hill's has decided to recall one of their Prescription dry cat food, I don't want to give them any of the Hill's pet food. I may sound like I'm over reacting but I'm nervous giving my dog and cats this food. I'm letting them finish out what they have left of their old food since I know that it is okay.

I'm like you MrsSpringsteen, I'm going to our all natural/organic store here and getting them some food from there. I'm just afraid of feeding them this food and if something happened I would never forgive myself.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

^ I don't think your crazy at all. Try checking out Natures Balance
Just a suggestion.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Del Monte Foods has confirmed that the melamine-tainted wheat gluten used in several of its recalled pet food products was supplied as a “food grade” additive, raising the likelihood that contaminated wheat gluten might have entered the human food supply.

“Yes, it is food grade,” Del Monte spokesperson Melissa Murphy-Brown wrote in reply to an e-mail query. Del Monte issued a voluntary recall Saturday for several products under the Gravy Train, Jerky Treats, Pounce, Ol’ Roy, Dollar General and Happy Trails brands.

Wheat gluten is sold in both “food grade” and “feed grade” varieties. Either may be used in pet food, but only “food grade” gluten may be used in the manufacture of products meant for human consumption. Published reports have thus far focused on tainted pet food, but if the gluten in question entered the human food supply through a major food products supplier and processor, it could potentially contaminate thousands of products and hundreds of millions of units nationwide.

Anyone who is looking for organic pet food-Petco sells it and stores like Whole Foods/Wild Oats. etc. My dog is eating Organix (dry) and so far she loves it. I want her to have organic treats too, I am worried about what could be in those. She has Paul Newman but she also has other types of treats sometimes- until this blows over I am extremely cautious.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #68
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:35 PM
This might be helpful. A list of foods NOT on the recall list.

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:35 PM
My dog eats Pedigree Kibbles.

"Those Damn Chinese, Is this a 24 conspiracy?" (kidding)
Old 04-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

I've been gradually switching over to Natural Balance dry & wet.
I don't trust the pet foods.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

At this point, if there is anything with wheat gluten in it I am not giving it to my puppy, whether it is on the list or not. It seems everyday that list gets longer. My puppy got sick this week, and while it thankfully (?) turned out to just be a bladder infection I was so scared!

My uncle makes his own food for his dog and it's all organic. I'm going to start doing the same, I am wary of where food for my pup is coming from now.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #72
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
The dry food that was recalled is made by Hills, a prescription diet called m/d. We did have a cat last week that was eating this that had sudden kidney failure and had to be euthanized because he was not responding to aggressive treatment - though we had no reason to think it was the food that was the culprit at the time. We're trying to prevent the same from happening with his sister housemate.
just a couple months ago, my vet recommended we start one of my cats on this exact type of food. she's really overweight and while she's not diabetic now, our vet's worried she might develop it or heart problems later down the road if she stays so heavy.

we thought it was kinda pricey, but doable. i can't remember why, but we just never got around to buying any of the food. i'm glad now we didn't.

i feel terrible for all the pet owners out there who've had a pet die because of all this. i also feel bad for those whose pets survived, but now they're left with thousands of dollars in medical bills.

this whole thing is messed up and it pisses me off. it's enough to make me want to sit down with my vet and see about preparing food for my cats myself, except one of my cats is super finicky about "people food" (basically anything other than dry cat food or dry cat treats), and another cat won't eat any of it at all.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Del Monte Foods has confirmed that the melamine-tainted wheat gluten used in several of its recalled pet food products was supplied as a “food grade” additive, raising the likelihood that contaminated wheat gluten might have entered the human food supply.

“Yes, it is food grade,” Del Monte spokesperson Melissa Murphy-Brown wrote in reply to an e-mail query. Del Monte issued a voluntary recall Saturday for several products under the Gravy Train, Jerky Treats, Pounce, Ol’ Roy, Dollar General and Happy Trails brands.

Wheat gluten is sold in both “food grade” and “feed grade” varieties. Either may be used in pet food, but only “food grade” gluten may be used in the manufacture of products meant for human consumption. Published reports have thus far focused on tainted pet food, but if the gluten in question entered the human food supply through a major food products supplier and processor, it could potentially contaminate thousands of products and hundreds of millions of units nationwide.

Anyone who is looking for organic pet food-Petco sells it and stores like Whole Foods/Wild Oats. etc. My dog is eating Organix (dry) and so far she loves it. I want her to have organic treats too, I am worried about what could be in those. She has Paul Newman but she also has other types of treats sometimes- until this blows over I am extremely cautious.
I'm seriously hoping that the dry food is fine and will continue to be fine. I've been feeding Chloe Meow Mix.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:10 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Anything I've been told, we even called our vet, has said that only that one Hill's Prescription M/D kitty food has been recalled. And that is was purely voluntary.
However, I could have sworn when this all started, and I went to check the Hill's website, it said something different..that they had not been effected by the recall, but were voluntarily calling back some other kitty pet food.

Anyway, my pup is a picky eater, and is eating Science Diet kibble right now, so hopefully it stays safe.
And I hope everyone else's pets stay safe as well.

And if I ever find out any of the Hill's prescription m/d dog food was contaminated - let's justt say things will not be pretty.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Wow, there's an article over on Yahoo now saying that as many as 39,000 were sicked or died from the tainted food

Thanks for posting that link, Sicy. Jack loves his Friskies Dental Diet, so I was relieved to see that Friskies wasn't one of the affected brands.