Dog/Cat Food Recall - Menu Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good to me.

BTW, DVP's Natural Balance is recalling the venison cat food (dry). It contains NO wheat gluten and is likely unrelated to the current Menu Foods recall, but someone reported a cat getting sick so they're not taking chances.

Organic food is expensive, but you need to feed less so it evens out. I already see so much improvement in my dog's coat, her eyes, and her bms :wink: She is older so she needs the glucosamine/chondroitin and the fish oil of her vet's food-both of which are in the Organix that she has now. She weighs 60 something lbs and only needs 2 cups a day of the organic adcdg to the recommendation on the bag. She has that much and seems very satisfied.

She's a good eater but she's also finicky-and so far she loves the organic. When she gets tired of it she can switch to another organic.

Here is the press release for the Natural Balance recall. I feed my baby this brand, (not this particular formula) so of course I am very concerned.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/press_release.html

The ingredient that is contaminated in the Natural Balance recall of their Venison formula is Rice Protein concentrate. They found traces of melamine, the same chemical as found in the wheat gluten in Menu foods.

NB does not use wheat gluten, and their rice protein is a new addition to the venison formula. It's very perplexing. I am looking into making my dog his own food. I don't trust anyone anymore.

JCOSTER said:
OKAY-

NATURES BALANCE HAS JUST RECALLED THEIR FOOD TOO:

BROWN RICE AND VENISON- DRY FOOD
WONDERFUL THATS WHAT I'VE BEEN SWITCHING MY DOG OVER TOO.

I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN :mad:

I read on their website that it is only this formula. Their other formulas do not contain the ingredient rice protein concentrate. I have been feeding my dog NB for several years and I have been nothing but happy with their foods for my dog. He loves it and is a very healthy 11 y.o Bichon.

However, it is very concerning that this is happening to a food outside of Menu. How??? What other additives (like Rice Protein concentrate) are in foods that this could potentially happen to?

My parents refuse to feed our dog any canned dog food and will only give him very little kibble. They cook for him (I'm not joking), and he gets things like brown rice, olive oil, salmon, etc. Healthiest dog you've ever seen.

Well I was planning on feeding Chop DVP's Natural Balance when I get her, but it looks like Eagle Pack Holistic it will be (unless the recall expands to them too).

My dog love this food now, he especially liked the roll of food which I cut up for treats.

I realized the dry formula I was giving him was not the Venison. But I did however have 3 cans with the sku# that was recalled. I had only given him one can.

Thank God!

elevated_u2_fan said:
The Mrs and I have decided to switch to Newman's Own Organics:

http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pet/home/

All organic, no "mystery meat", no wheat gluten, it’s expensive as hell but these are our children so...

I'll let you guys know what the kids think of it...

I didn't know Paul Newman made pet food too.

I don't know if this has been posted, but MSNBC has an easy to read list of updated recalled food brands:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17689821/

Blue Buffalo and Royal Canin are now running select voluntary recalls.

Fucking hell! I just SWITCHED to Blue Buffalo because it was the only cat kibble left around here that a) does not totally suck in the first place and b) was not affected by the recall.

^ I don't freakin believe it. Didn't we discuss this a few pages back that this was going to happen.

I am bringing back all the cans that NB uses the brown rice in it. They just said the Venison and Brown rice but there were quite a few others that had the brown rice in it too so wouldn't it effect them as well?

This really stinks!!!

I'm staying with the Pedigree and using the NB beef and chicken, duck and potatos. The stuff in the roll my dog loves as a treat!

Where did you get this info from? Just curious.

I got it from a dog forum. The brand's sites should also have more specific info. I don't have any links, I just read through people's posts since there's a lot of professional nutritionists there and I like reading what they say rather than an AP article that makes it more confusing. :huh:

The problem ingredients are wheat gluten, rice protein, and now corn gluten. If you want to be 100% careful, I'd steer clear of these ingredients in ANY of the affected brands, not just the specific product lines currently recalled. At the rate they are recalling and given the breadth of the recall, it seems they recall once incidents have been reported. These ingredients could likely contain melamine and be found in other products. Pedigree does contain wheat and corn gluten (and a ton of other useless crap), but so far have not been affected by the recall.

If I had a dog, right now I'd be switching to Eagle Pack....

Gotta keep tabs on this since I'm getting a dog!

I'm at a loss for what to do with the cats since I just switched TO Blue Buffalo. I went to every area pet store earlier this week and there are no other things left to try that aren't part of the recall or aren't the shittiest cat food I wouldn't feed my cats if it was free.

Jack eats Friskies Dental Diet. Up until now, Friskies has not been recalled at all, but it contains corn gluten, which there's now some speculation may also be affected. I of course want to keep Jack safe, but I don't want to buy different food unless I plan to switch him over to it entirely, since he can be finicky sometimes.

JCOSTER said:
I did the same thing and thought I was safe with the NB. My dog was eating the Pedigree for a year now.

Eagle Pack is by what brand/ Innova?

I think it's its own brand?

http://www.eaglepack.com/

I know a lot of people like the "holistic" stuff.

I'll let the cats eat the Blue Buffalo (affected brand, but not an affected product line at this point) and then try to find Eagle Pack. Unless Eagle Pack gets recalled.... :huh:

FYI, now additional recalls on:

- Blue Buffalo canned dog and cat food, Spa Select cat food

- Chicken Soup canned food

For the conspiracy theorists out there, have a look through this thread:

http://forum.dog.com/asp/tm.asp?m=338876

Particularly
To me, the logic doesn't make sense. Melamine is not digestable, it's barely soluble. It has zero nutitional value. The only use it has outside of plastics is as a fertilizer, but even at that it's not very good. The US has banned it as a fertilizer. To say they (whoever they is) were testing it to feed it implies that they would be condoning its use to dupe our own food companies into thinking they were making food with higher protein levels. The only other possible use is in cattle feed. Urea is commonly added to cattle feed. Melamine could possibly be seen as a substitute but it's very low solubility suggests it wouldn't work at all, and at that it would only apply to ruminants which can "digest" the urea.

I can't say I agree/disagree with the accusations and inferences there, but they do raise some interesting points/questions...

I forgot to report back about the new food...

The kids LOVE the new food, it's like the second coming or something, they all push their heads into the food bowl at once...

I'm not sure if we are going to continue with this though, my wife was speaking to a friend who is a vet who said that it is not a good idea to switch cats (especially males) from one food to another because the PH levels are different and this causes crystals in the urine and urinary tract problems. Apparently this is the most common cause of urinary tract problems and it happens often...

Has anyone else heard of this? I don't want to keep feeding the kids Nutro if the company is so shady but I also don't want to switch to another food and do them harm... We have been mixing the new food with the old stuff so hopefully the switch is not so abrubt but still... I'm kind of stuck as to what to do... :huh:

Just to pipe in on the crystals and the UTI in pets, my baby had 7 kidney stones out yesterday. It's NOT fun surgery for him. Before you switch your dog to a food that is higher in protein or that will raise his/her chances to developing kidney stones/crystalization check with your vet to determine the best types of food to avoid this. Do some research on Nutro because I think it is sometimes recommended for prevention of kidney stones. Are all Nutro's products on the recall list?

My dog is fed Natural Balance. Only one of their products was on the recall list. The one with rice protein concentrate as the ingredient. The other products they offer do not contain that ingredient or any gluten products.

oktobergirl said:
Just to pipe in on the crystals and the UTI in pets, my baby had 7 kidney stones out yesterday. It's NOT fun surgery for him. Before you switch your dog to a food that is higher in protein or that will raise his/her chances to developing kidney stones/crystalization check with your vet to determine the best types of food to avoid this. Do some research on Nutro because I think it is sometimes recommended for prevention of kidney stones. Are all Nutro's products on the recall list?

My dog is fed Natural Balance. Only one of their products was on the recall list. The one with rice protein concentrate as the ingredient. The other products they offer do not contain that ingredient or any gluten products.

The poor baby. :( :hug:

You know, I never explored the food allergy theory of Mia's skin problems, I ought to switch her to more natural foods and see if that helps her at all.

our kitties are on dry food, and once a week wet, the Dick Van Patten Natural Balance line of wet food, which until recently one 1, venison was on recall list, now I hear ocean fish was added because of the gluten it contained. We are crossign out fingers that nothing else gets added. Our kitties actually eat the ocean fish, which now that its on the list we were watching kitties closely, so far so good, hopefully remains that way. After first recall we checked all ingredients for the gluten that was being recalled and we've been lucky so far.

what is scary is the idea that your pets continue eating what is remaining on the shelves and then a week later it gets recalled, just real scary but hopefully keeping on top of the ingredient recall will keep us safe from all that nasty stuff. Sister in law is getting her suit together for one of her kitties, that got pancreatitus as result of the food recall both she and the vet believe, so she is suing them.

fun fun fun

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

You know, I never explored the food allergy theory of Mia's skin problems, I ought to switch her to more natural foods and see if that helps her at all.

Unfortunately, I know far less about cats and cat nutrition than dogs, but I do know that food is often THE factor in dogs with random symptoms and weird allergic reactions. It sounds weird, but many dogs are allergic to beef and poultry so when they go on a duck and potato diet with no grains (corn, wheat), they do much better. Maybe the same is true for cats, or there's a similar allergy/food correlation? You could try switching her to a food with totally different ingredients, like if her current food is chicken/chicken meal, try something fish based? I would imagine something like this would work with cats, I'm just not sure which ingredients they're usually allergic to.

The Duck variety is kinda of smelly in the can, you have to watch with the fish varieties because the dogs can start to smell fishy too! Riley really loves the Wellness duck. It sat with him just fine.

Back
Top Bottom