Dog/Cat Food Recall - Menu Foods - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:32 PM
That's what I'm worried too. That, or they will extend the list to kibbles. My gets get 50% Authority kibble b/c they love it and it's one of the few Beckham will keep down (he's a puker). It's not that great of quality, but it works for us. Some of the wet foods are on the list. I went to Petsmart last night to see what they had and it was either shitty food, and/or food from companies that are on the list. I tried switching to a better quality and Beckham threw up two meals.

I'm ready to start thawing the venison cuts I have in the freezer...

Marijke has to go to the vet on Friday so I'll ask them what they recommend. It's in a rural, agricultural area so maybe there's a feed store where I can stock up on a decent brand. Here in town 90% of the cat food on supermarket shelves is terrible.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Thanks for that info, Liesje

I think the big lesson is that it's just as important to be educated about a pet's diet as it is about our own.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder if this is a criminal case

ALBANY, New York (AP) -- Rodent poison has been found in pet food blamed for the deaths of at least 16 cats and dogs, a spokeswoman for the State Department of Agriculture and Markets said Friday.

Spokeswoman Jessica Chittenden would not identify the chemical or its source beyond saying it was a rodent poison.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070323/...et_food_recall

Rat poison? This is disturbing. Did some sick bastard to this to hurt the animals on purpose? And would he do it to humans too? What an asshole, I can't stand it. This makes me so

and
Old 03-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #50
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:32 AM
I heard the food was coming from China or something
Old 03-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think someone actually put rat poisoning into food. I think the toxin they believe to be at fault is the same toxin that some countries use as a rodent poison (it's not used as rat poison in the US, but is being used to treat cancer). I read on another board that they were thinking the wheat gluten is the poisoned substance and I believe that part comes from China, but based on the following article it sounds like they're really not sure yet...

Quote:
Pet Food Maker to Take Financial Responsibility for Pet Deaths From Poisoning

By DAVID KERLEY and DAN CHILDS

March 23, 2007 — The president of pet food maker Menu Foods, which last week issued a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food after a rash of animal sickness and death, said today that the company would reimburse pet owners who can trace their pets' illnesses to the company's products.

Earlier today, New York State veterinary health investigators announced that the pet food responsible for pet deaths around the country was contaminated with the rodent poison aminopterin.

Watch "World News With Charles Gibson" for full details on the extent of the poisoning.

"A pet is an important part of any family," Paul Henderson, the president and CEO of Menu Foods, said at a Toronto press conference. "We understand what pet ownership is."

While Henderson described himself as "angry" over the massive recall and the impact it has had on hundreds of pets, he also said the company has not stopped manufacturing at the two plants believed to have produced the contaminated pet food.

Instead, he said the company, which manufactures nearly 100 brands of dog and cat food, will immediately begin testing any "suspect raw materials" to identify any additional contaminated products.

"We have the support of our customers, we have the support of our employees," Henderson said. "We're confident in the future and we remain confident we can put this behind us."

Investigators, meanwhile, are looking into whether the rat poison came into the United States on an ingredient used in the recalled food. ABC News has learned that Menu Foods bought wheat gluten, the only ingredient changed in its plants, from China. That possibility raises questions about the safety of pet and other food products in the United States.

The chemical can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats, said Donald Smith, dean of Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine, during the conference.

Scientists at the state's food laboratory in Albany, N.Y., made the discovery a week after Menu Foods issued its recall.

"This is one step in a long process that will lead us to know what has happened and how it has happened," Smith said.

Aminopterin is not registered for use as a pesticide in the United States, and it has been known as a potential source of birth defects in humans.

Interestingly, trials are under way to test the chemical's effectiveness in the treatment of certain types of cancer.

ABC News first reported that the rodenticide may have been present in the wheat that was imported from China and used by Menu Foods, according to a source close to the investigation.

Some Vets Remain Skeptical

Some veterinary experts say they are still skeptical as to whether the chemical is responsible for the kidney damage the pets endured.

"With the information that we have, none of us feel that this product fits the lesions we are seeing, but there may be information we don't know yet," said Lawrence McGill, a veterinary pathologist in Salt Lake City. "The feeling is that there are more questions than answers with this product."

"Renal failure is not the expected response to these drugs," said Susan Weinstein, executive director of the Massachusetts Veterinary Medical Association. She added that most rodent poisons work as severe anticoagulants — meaning they cause the rats that ingest them to bleed to death.

"Whether this particular toxin in this case can create renal failure depends on how this drug works in the body, which may be an entirely different pathway than the anticoagulants," Weinstein said. "Because we aren't yet familiar with this toxin, we can't be confident of the causation link."

Investigators also have not yet determined whether aminopterin is the only contaminant in all the recalled food.

"If it is not the only culprit, as I suspect, the problem isn't over," McGill said, adding that it is also uncertain as to whether the finding will be much help to veterinarians.

According to McGill, even if the aminopterin is the culprit, "most veterinarians have never heard of this product. There will need to be more information put out to suggest therapeutic regimens."

Concerns May Spur Regulatory Response

With the widespread notoriety of the deaths associated with the contaminated pet food, some are beginning to speculate whether the result could be greater regulation of pet food safety.

"Certainly, finding something like this would have everyone step back and say, 'How do we make sure this never happens again?'" said Sandy Wellis, communications chair of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine.

"Knowing our public, they would probably like more regulation, and it may occur, but it hasn't happened with previous situations like this," McGill said. "There is a call for it, but will the public pay for it because it will make pet food more expensive."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=29...page=1&US=true
Old 03-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Sooooo terrible.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

This is something I received in my e-mail and I thought I would pass it on.
Quote:
P&G Pet Care Update
March 21, 2007

We want to provide an update on the recent recall of "wet" pet foods produced by Menu Foods, Inc.

We are deeply saddened by this situation. We know it has caused a lot of concern and has touched pet lovers throughout North America, including our own employees. We've received a lot of questions, so we want to give you the latest information.

First, we want to assure you that this recall affects only a small portion of our "wet" pet food products manufactured at the Menu Foods plant in Emporia, Kansas. We have a variety of canned wet food products that are currently available on store shelves that are not affected in any way by this recall.

We also want to assure you that our Iams and Eukanuba dry foods are safe for your pet to eat and are readily available in stores. These foods are not part of the recall - there are no concerns at all about dry food. P&G manufactures Iams and Eukanuba dry foods at our own plants, not at Menu Foods.

You may wonder why some "wet" food was produced at Menu Foods. In fact, virtually every pet food company commonly uses outside partners for special or small volume items. Nonetheless, the different branded products made by Menu are not "the same". Our Iams and Eukanuba pet foods have unique recipes and important ingredient differences that distinguish them from other pet food brands.

Because of our concern for pets and their well-being, we took immediate action to voluntarily participate in Menu Foods' "wet" food product recall and to work with retailers to get the small portion of our "wet" products affected by the recall off all store shelves in the U.S. and Canada.

Until the root cause of this pet health issue is found, we will not produce any more of these products at the Emporia plant. We'll keep you updated when we have more information on this.

Pets are an important part of all of our families. P&G Pet Care employees share your concerns and are firmly committed to you and the health of your pet. We are working hard to respond to your questions, and provide the information and help you need.

We value your trust and confidence during this extremely difficult time.

P&G Pet Care
Old 03-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Yep it was China. They're terrible, WHY do they have most favored nation status? Their record of animal and human rights is an international disgrace!

A friend on a cat mailing list I'm on posted this and I agree:

My outlook on the issue, yet ONE MORE reason to stop ALL TRADE with
China!
First it's boiling cats ALIVE to make SOUP, then it's illegal DOG and
CAT
FUR being imported into our country with misrepresented labels (they
are
often skinned ALIVE), then it's toxic pet food ingredients. It's like
China
isn't content with keeping their killing of pets to their OWN country,
they
have to bring it to OURS too! The answer... no trade with CHINA! Write
your
representatives! I wont even mention the atrocities in Tibet...

or the brutal mostly clubbing deaths of tens of thousands of dogs , even pets in front of their owners, in some cities because there were FOUR rabies cases in 3 years.

and everyone seems to forget all about Tiananmen Square
Old 03-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Rat poison, toxins...this whole episode is rather sad. The only ‘good’ thing that might come from the fallout is an overall public demand for better pet food with less crap. I can see this happening for all brands, or at least the smarter ones. It would be a win-win situation for everyone.

I actually feel sorry for the pets...they need a voice now more than ever, a union of some kind.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:09 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

This makes me so nervous

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- Animal rights advocates are calling on federal food safety regulators and pet food companies to expand a nationwide recall of dog and cat food to include dry varieties, claiming they make pets sick.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Thursday it had no plans to suggest a wider recall to pet food companies, and veterinarians said they have not seen a trend of animals becoming ill after eating dry pet food.

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals plans to make the appeal Friday in Washington after it said it received complaints from pet owners who claim their animals suffered kidney failure after eating dry pet food.

Norfolk, Virginia-based PETA wants the FDA and the companies to extend the recall to foods that have received complaints, chemically test it and perform necropsies on the animals involved. It also wants companies prosecuted if the FDA's probe turns up wrongdoing.

FDA spokeswoman Julie Zawisza said she did not know how many of the more than 7,000 complaints the agency has received have concerned dry pet food. The FDA plans to release preliminary results from its investigation into the recall Friday.

Officials at Ontario, Canada-based Menu Foods, which made the recalled pet food, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Nearly 100 brands of pet food were recalled after animals suffered kidney failure. The recall involved "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. The recall covered products carrying names of major brands including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba.

New York state's food laboratory last week identified aminopterin as the likely culprit in the recall. Aminopterin is a derivative of folic acid that was once used to induce abortions and is now banned as a rodent poison in the United States. It can cause kidney damage in dogs and cats.

Veterinarians aren't seeing a trend of pets getting sick off dry food, said Paul Pion, founder of the Veterinarian Information Network. He said since so many people use dry food, you would expect to see many more ill pets if the food was tainted.

"I wouldn't put much credence in it, but it's not out of the realm of possibility," Pion said.

The Veterinary Information Network reported Tuesday that at least 471 cases of pet kidney failure have been reported since the recall, and more than 100 pets have died.Menu Foods has confirmed 16 pet deaths.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:55 AM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

I knew they were going to start talking about dry food too!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 03:32 PM
I haven't kept completely up to date on everything, but on the news up here when they were talking about it, I was left with the distinct impression that a factory just outside of Toronto was involved...especially since the head of said factory was giving the press release..(ie nothing to do with China what so ever).
Which is true??
Or are multiple factories involved?

I hope it doesn start applying to dry food too.

Also, I just came across this earlier...
http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...tml&frame=true

And the pic of Pebbles....poor puppy.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm really hoping that it doesn't begin applying to dry food.

This is pretty scary stuff.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 03:32 PM
Did you know there are no regulations on pet foods?
It's only up to the companies to self-regulate. At least in ON....