Dog/Cat Food Recall - Menu Foods - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by clarityat3am
I feed my dog Wellness, canned and dry. It's one of the best foods out there, in my opinion.
I started feeding my dog Wellness and it didn't agree with his poor tummy.

After a few other "organic" foods, he was finally able to tolerate Pedigree dry crunchy, after awhile he wasn't to fond of it so I started mixing a half of can of Alpo select cuts with the dry and now he eats his whole bowl!!!

I haven't seen these on any list and I checked my packages, I hope its okay.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 12:54 AM
The best food is Royal Canin or Eukanuba, but they're very expensive... I feed my dog with a supermarket food and she never had problems... But anyway, try not to give them thoso colourful foods...

Old 03-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #18
I Serve Larry's Stick

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
My dog eats dry food from the vet, but it is still so scary. How do you ever know for sure what's really in it and that it's not contaminated somehow?
I don't think we'll ever really know what's in some of them.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #19
I Serve Larry's Stick

Here are a few links I looked up.

http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1

http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/Pe...oodlabels3.cfm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_food Clicking on the links under Contents is a good read
Old 03-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by annie_vox
The best food is Royal Canin or Eukanuba, but they're very expensive... I feed my dog with a supermarket food and she never had problems... But anyway, try not to give them thoso colourful foods...
I was reading some threads on dog food at a dog forum I belong to. I don't have a dog, so I have no experience with foods, but several people posted saying they had switched to high quality brands and were saving money because they were feeding their dogs far less since the better brands have more nutrients and no by-products that just leave the dog still hungry. It's pretty much a trade-off.

With my cats I try to compromise by mixing a medium-priced brand with something that is more nutritious. Better for the cats and better on my wallet!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:58 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 12:54 AM
^^ Every dry food is better than all the rest... You will avoid a lot of digestive problems and tooth problems like that. Of course there are some brands better then others but that doesn't mean you have to buy them all the time, especially because they're very expensive... I'm sure that mix suits just fine for your cats
Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse

It amazes me that so many different brands are all made by the same company, from store brands all the way up through some of the highly regarded brand names.
Well, I think it's interesting to see that such a long list of pet food could even exist without including Master Foods.

Here in Germany, and I think in whole Europe, they are more or less a monopoly.

You have Snickers, Twix, Balisto, Mars, Milky Way... for humans, Pedigree, Caesar, Whiskas, Sheba, Trill... for animals and, more in the US but getting to Europe, vendors for humans as well.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by annie_vox
^^ Every dry food is better than all the rest... You will avoid a lot of digestive problems and tooth problems like that. Of course there are some brands better then others but that doesn't mean you have to buy them all the time, especially because they're very expensive... I'm sure that mix suits just fine for your cats
Yep. If anyone thinks less of anyone else for the pet food they choose, just remember there are plenty of great (human) mothers in third world countries!

I also prefer dry kibble. I've got one cat with tooth problems already, so I like him to be crunching as much as possible.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #24
War Child

Quote:
I feed my dog Wellness, canned and dry. It's one of the best foods out there, in my opinion.
I share your opinion!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Did that Greenie treats for dogs ever get re-called back? because I remember like many dogs on the news were dying because the stuff is very hard to digest...

like a month later I stilled found that stuff at Petco...
Old 03-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by tpsreports2424
Did that Greenie treats for dogs ever get re-called back? because I remember like many dogs on the news were dying because the stuff is very hard to digest...

like a month later I stilled found that stuff at Petco...
The main problem with Greenies is that any dog needs to be supervised with chew treats, even rubber or rope ones. If a dog can chew off a large chunk they'll just swallow it b/c they don't know any better. It's mostly the large chunks that are what is indigestible; the ingredients themselves aren't inherently good or bad. Any dog should always be supervised with chew treats of any brand.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Well yes of course, but I thought it saying that not of how much goes into the body, but the ingredients in it.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:24 PM
I hope the company can quickly determine what happened...it’s so sad that a number of pets may have died because of this...I give my dog Iams, but it’s the dry mix, fortunately.

Quote:
Just the fact that it's all human grade and is all meat based with no corn or fillers is enough for me. I check the ingredients on her food just like I do mine now. If I won't eat the stuff it's made of I won't give it to her. My dog eats better than I do, that's for sure.
When these kinds of stories happen, it’s always easy to attack the methods that lead to potential tainting, but I’ve always been rather skeptical of the nutritional value of pet food. Part of this may be due to the fact that I’m guilty of treating my dog like a human at times. For example, if I’m eating a turkey sandwich, she’ll be right at my feet, staring up at me with her hopeless and beady little eyes. It’s impossible to deny her!

Most of the time, she does eat her mountain of kibbles…despite my corrupting. But, I sometimes wonder if I should be preparing her food, instead of trusting a faceless corporation to do it for me.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

Most of the time, she does eat her mountain of kibbles…despite my corrupting. But, I sometimes wonder if I should be preparing her food, instead of trusting a faceless corporation to do it for me.
I was surprised to learn how many dog owners do prepare their dog's food. I can't even prepare healthy food for myself, so I'd probably kill a dog, but there are many who do. I imagine it takes some time and consultations with the vet to determine the right balance for the particular dog, but it can only make the dog healthier.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by tpsreports2424
Well yes of course, but I thought it saying that not of how much goes into the body, but the ingredients in it.
Everything I've read only talks about the big chunks breaking off and causing esophageal obstructions. The ingredients themselves are digestible. They're the most popular dog treat, so the number of incidences (because the dog swallowed too big a chunk) is actually relatively low relative to how many sell.