Doesn't ANYONE care about the Kentucky Derby??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
I watched it yesterday, which I have not done in years. There was a time years ago when I was just fascinated by anything to do with horses and watched quite a few of the bigger races. Unfortunately, it seemed like around that time there were a lot of mishaps in those races where horses broke their legs and had to be put down, which is particularly awful if you're a 13 year old horse nut. So I mostly gave up on racing and only watch a race very occasionally.

But yesterday's Derby was pretty cool. The same horse, War Emblem, led from start to finish, which last happened 14 years ago. He really pulled away at the end, too. I was fully expecting him to fade but he didn't.

I seriously doubt that anyone who reads this will know, but just in case--does anyone know if War Emblem is a descendant of the great Man O'War? With a name like that I would have thought it probable, but no one mentioned it and all I could find on the Internet was that the sire's name was Lord of War.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

ACK! Oh my gawd, Ive found one! An Interferencer who is also a racing fan!
I saw the Derby, was gonna post about it, but i finally figured i shouldnt bother, as i have posted a racing thread here before, but no one replied
frown.gif

Oh, I had a thread in Lemonade Stand about Man O War!! Some awesome pix!! I'll check and see if its still there.
I LOVE War Emblem, and i was wondering about his pedigree myself. he is a beaut, almost black, and very spirited. he won by a large margin, and i like the way he looked.
I also liked Came Home(he won the Santa Anita Derby, thats the track i always go to), Proud Citizen, and Johanesburg. Too bad he and Came Home finished poorly, they are really nice horses. Johanesburg is from Ireland!!!
smile.gif

I'll do some checking on War Emblems pedigree, should be easy enough to figure out. He is so nice, and he has a name fitting of a Triple Crown winner! Lets hope!
wink.gif

Ahh, here's the thread!
smile.gif
http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum12/HTML/001148.html
------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 05-05-2002).]

Ok, War Emblem is by Our Emblem(by Mr Prospector) out of Sweetest lady(by Lord at War).
I think, though i'm NOT certain, that Lord at War is related to Man O War, and Mr Prospector may be as well. I dont think this colt is all that closely related to Big Red though. Unlike Easy Goer, who finished 2nd in the derby and preakness in 1989, and won the Belmont. He looked like Man O War and Secretariat, too!
smile.gif

http://www.drf.com
Lots of info on the runners there.
Also try http://www.bloodhorse.com
I found out that War Emblems grandma on his sires side is Personal Ensign, a mare that raced in the late '80s...she won a lot of major races and was never beaten!

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 05-05-2002).]

Ok, last bit on info that i've been able to dig up before i have to leave for the day, is that Lord At War is an Argentina bred,a nd most of the horses listed in his immediate family are also foreign. However, i did recognise a few of the names, so its possible one or more of them could be linked back to Man O War.
HOWEVER....Mr Prospector is indeed realted to Big Red, via Man O Wars son, American Flag! Yayyyy!!!!!
Count Fleet is also there, and Nasrullah, and there may be more Man O War links as well. Whew! LOL!
wink.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

Wow, thanks for looking all that up! I was wrong, I thought Lord at War was actually War Emblem's sire. Good to know there's a Big Red connection! By the way, I just posted something in your Big Red thread back in the Lemonade Stand. I've only been to a few horse races in my life and they were just pathetic little local ones. Fun anyway, except for the people ripping up their tickets and swearing
eek.gif
(I don't gamble.) I took riding lessons for several years and mostly enjoyed it a lot, but in a way I think I love horses most in a romantic way--"Oh, they're so beautiful!". War Emblem is certainly purty, practically black! Wonder if he can pull it off in the other Triple Crown races. Hmm. The last Triple Crown winner was the year before I was born
eek.gif

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

Came Home cost me $$$, just at the point where he should have kicked, he faded finishing 6th.
War Emblem ran a great race, but something tells me his Triple Crown cahnces are slight, cause no way does the Preakness have as slow a pace early, and likely he'll be forced to expend more energy early.

I was at the museum at Churchill Downs over Christmas (my father-in-law lives there in Louisville)..and they have a wall dedicated to the blood lines of several of the Derby winners...fascinating.

War Emblem ran a great race...

[This message has been edited by dream wanderer (edited 05-07-2002).]

war emblem ran an amazing race..I'm Irish so i know a bit about Johannesburg+Castle Gandolfo..Johannesburg may be only 3 but he is past his best..However Aiden O'Brien is still a genious and come the Breeder's Cup he will beat the yanks on their own sand

Back
Top Bottom