Does this make anyone else feel bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Sorry to hear that about your Dad, Diamond.
frown.gif

Anyway, to elaborate: personally, i don't know anyone in a wheel chair (ok, a friend of my Dad is - but i'm ok when around him - guess i got used to it over time. you know? it's not that big a issue. we talk normally, he jokes around etc... - i usually sit down in a seat so we are eye to eye)
And there was this girl at university in a wheelchair. Can't say i knew her very well, (come to think of it, we never talked) i just thought: "Wow. Good for her that she can lead a life like that, get an education etc..." and on the other hand i was thinking if seeing all of us makes it tough - you know, reminding her...it must have been scary.

So technically, i don't have any experiences with a friend going through anything like it. I wonder how i'd react - i mean, sure, it's easy saying "yeah it would go on the same it was before", but who's to say what i'd do if such a thing occured in reality?

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-14-2002).]

When i'm out in the town, and if i see someone in a wheel chair, i dunno...i just feel this guilty conscience in a way, you know, like they must feel terrible being around those of us who can walk. As if we're a mock somehow to their inability...

am i making sense to you?

Yes Maja.
I know exactly how you feel.
Later in my life my Dad had to go into a wheel chair.
It sucked.(at first).

Anyway what I understand is that physically challenged folks to dont want a lot of our pity, just a little empathy.

And when communicating do not bend over to speak but rather kneel down to have an eye to eye contact at their level, and converse w/them. Try and make them feel as comfortable as possible.
I had to learn this.

Diamond
ps-
youre great.

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 04-14-2002).]

i know someone in a wheelchair who goes to school with my friend, shes hilarious, and being in a wheelchair doesnt make her different from other people, she hates ppl pointing it out and making her feel inferior in some way....they are still enjoying life, they dont want ppl to feel sorry for them and i dont think she feels terrible around ppl who can walk, she accepts it

Back
Top Bottom