Does the media/industry decide who will be famous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurel Hill

The Fly
I am starting to think there may be something to this. Not in all cases, of course, but here are 2 good examples.

1. Ashlee Simpson- this girl BOMBED on SNL with a broken recording she was lip synching to- live on national TV- this should be, for anyone, the kiss of death for a career and instant jokedom for all eternity. Yet, here she is back, highly touted and people are supposed to accept and respect her. That poor dude from Milli Vanilli was damned for life for the same thing, there was a huge scandal, Grammy taken away, and he finally capped himself. So why is she special? And speaking of that, what's so damn special about her sister? Or her sister's husband? Why are these people famous! Who cares?

2. Mariah Carey- she was big, naturally, then bombed and became a joke. Yet she's 'back', and it seems every magazine I see has a smiling pic of her as if someone is trying to make sure that plastic grin of hers stays in the spotlight. While others run from paparazzi, she seems posed for them!

So I am thinking there must be high ups in the industry and/or the media who are banking on a person's fame so much that they won't allow them to fail, even if they deserve to. They will keep pushing these people in the public's face until they accept them.

Or maybe I fail to see any other reason for their popularity? No, but seriously, in the case of these two ladies mentioned I think something is going on. Is it impossible? I don't think so.

a record company will sometimes make a huge push for certain artists. I know, for example, that KT Tunstall was provided with an unusual amount of support by her label and supplier, at least in North America. Fortunately, in this case, she's actually got some talent. So, yeah, the industry plays a fundamental role in the process, but it's not always to cough up acts like Ashlee Simpson. There's good, and bad.

Laurel Hill said:
I am starting to think there may be something to this. Not in all cases, of course, but here are 2 good examples.

1. Ashlee Simpson- this girl BOMBED on SNL with a broken recording she was lip synching to- live on national TV- this should be, for anyone, the kiss of death for a career and instant jokedom for all eternity. Yet, here she is back, highly touted and people are supposed to accept and respect her. That poor dude from Milli Vanilli was damned for life for the same thing, there was a huge scandal, Grammy taken away, and he finally capped himself. So why is she special? And speaking of that, what's so damn special about her sister? Or her sister's husband? Why are these people famous! Who cares?

2. Mariah Carey- she was big, naturally, then bombed and became a joke. Yet she's 'back', and it seems every magazine I see has a smiling pic of her as if someone is trying to make sure that plastic grin of hers stays in the spotlight. While others run from paparazzi, she seems posed for them!

So I am thinking there must be high ups in the industry and/or the media who are banking on a person's fame so much that they won't allow them to fail, even if they deserve to. They will keep pushing these people in the public's face until they accept them.

Or maybe I fail to see any other reason for their popularity? No, but seriously, in the case of these two ladies mentioned I think something is going on. Is it impossible? I don't think so.

*Ashlee isn't "highly touted" unless you mean it that she seems to get alot of press. She does. And it's because she has powerful agents, publicists and the creepier-than-goblins Daddy Joe Simpson guiding her career. She gets alot of press b/c people like to watch people fail. Do people necessarily like her? Sure, she has fans. But alot of the press is that people are watching with baited breath for her to fall on her face, again.

*I'm not sure I understand your point about Mariah Carey. She is really talented at what she does. She made a classic career-saving record with The Emancipation of Mimi and it has spawned hit after hit. She has always had millions of loyal fans, and has finally gotten back to what she does best - make hits and work with top producers. Sure, like Ashlee, she has a powerful team of agents and publicists behind her whose job it is to keep her in the limelight, but I'm not sure I agree that she "doesn't deserve" her media attention. She has earned the attention, even if she is a major diva freakshow behind the scenes. She's a proven money-maker, and well, that's enough to garner attention.

But yes, to answer your question: of course the media and industry decides who's famous. That's always been the case. There is a fair degree of manipulation to anything, and the music industry along with the film industry is no stranger to manipulation of the press. And that's not even getting into payola at radio.

Back
Top Bottom