does size matter? (plus a crazy idea)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Your height - how does it affect you in real life? (particularly a question for the smaller people)

Not that size.
wink.gif

(made you look, eh?)
biggrin.gif

Crazy idea? Well, you'll laugh, but since a few days i've had this thought about writing a poem about some of the regulars at this place.
So...should i do it? (it doesn't have to rhyme, does it?) Or is it a redicioulus idea?

biggrin.gif
For certain individuals who seek lewdness everywhere (you know who you are), i was at a cell phone store the other day, and Nokia was selling this pack of: the little phone protection bag, the battery, and the charger. They called the pack
3Some.

Awwwwww thats such a sweet story Girlie-girl
smile.gif

I hope those lude folks you were referring to find this.

Yes you should write a poem, I would likie to read it. I don't think height matters in real life, of course I'm 5'11" which dosen't carry any baggage with it. I have known short guys who felt the need to compenstate for being called "pee wee" their whole childhood.

Bono, for one, is a good example of a little guy overcoming tall obstecales
smile.gif

i like my height im 5ft5/6 im taller than my friends who r girls but smaller than all my guy friends- it used to annoy me and it annoys me now cus my 13 year old sister is an inch smaller than me and my bro who sued to be tiny is growing now too and hes catching up- they r gonna dwarf me

oh thats not a crazy idea- its a kool idea- can u write sumting about me- now thats crazy
tongue.gif

I'm only 5'4, 5'5 in shoes. I actually LOVE being short! It makes you look more youthful,cuter, and has a lot of advantages.
wink.gif
There are times when i'd desperately love to be really tall though, such as when people are picking on me, treating me like trash, bullying me, etc. But, most of the time, i enjoy being average height.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

Originally posted by z edge:
Awwwwww thats such a sweet story Girlie-girl
smile.gif

I hope those lude folks you were referring to find this.

Yes you should write a poem, I would likie to read it. I don't think height matters in real life, of course I'm 5'11" which dosen't carry any baggage with it. I have known short guys who felt the need to compenstate for being called "pee wee" their whole childhood.

Bono, for one, is a good example of a little guy overcoming tall obstecales
smile.gif

Hehehe...just the person i thought would come along.

As for the poem: it's gonna be a nice one, ok? So far i have ideas on what to write about deathbear, sicy, mad1...that's it actually. Any ideas/suggestions who to include?

ps: I'm 155 cm myself. (of course, i don't need to tell you all of my friends are taller.) It hasn't affected my life in any negative way, though i used to wish to be 160 cm tall. Not anymore.
smile.gif

I'm 5'2 3/4 " and I really like it. It makes it very easy to fit right under a guys chin when you're cuddling.
smile.gif
Although, when your dad's 6'2, your sis is 6'1 and your mom is 5'11, you do get a lot of questions.

Originally posted by U2girl:
As for the poem: it's gonna be a nice one, ok? So far i have ideas on what to write about deathbear, sicy, mad1...that's it actually. Any ideas/suggestions who to include?

ps: I'm 155 cm myself.

Be careful what you write about Deathbear, you don't want to send him back into orbit
eek.gif
And whatever you do, don't mention Sicy's height or she will turn you into a dog
wink.gif

And BTW, WTF is 155 cm
wink.gif

Yes
height matters.
Bono called me 'the big guy who is made of steel', and then someone yelled- (from the front row) "the 'big guy ' is huge"..

Please post your poem.

DB9

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 03-09-2002).]

Size DOES matter. I don't know about you other guys, but I find that women prefer to go for taller guys.

I'm 6ft2.
smile.gif

Ant.

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Yes
height matters.
Bono called me 'the big guy who is made of steel', and then someone yelled- (from the front row) "the 'big guy ' is huge"..

That doesn't matter. If you were short, they just would have called you some little leprechaun who leapt onto the stage.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 03-09-2002).]

I think I am almost tall for an Asian but among Westerners I am a dwarf and this works against me when I'm at a concert. Bah.

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce

I'm 5'7"

It's already very tall for an asian like me!!! I'm the tallest among my girlie friends!

It does annoy me that I'm even taller than some boys!! Thanks goodness most of the boys I know are taller than me...

Actually size does matter to me. I don't like being so tall though. People would come and ask, why you're so tall? I don't like that at all. Also, I would like my boyfriend taller than me. If not, at least he has to be the same height as me!!

I guess I like being tall (6'5"), and let me tell you this story I've told a million times before and tell at the slightest provocation about a famous guy and me getting up on stage...oh wait, that's DimonBro! Silly me...
tongue.gif
(just kidding db
smile.gif
).

Seriously though, it's got it's advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages: it's a bonus in sports like basketball and volleyball, I'm easy to find in a crowd and can find my way through crowds and see over them easier than most (a nice plus at concerts!
biggrin.gif
), There are few people I have to literally look up to, and I offer a lot more cuddle space than most people
wink.gif
, and um....some other size advantages...
biggrin.gif

Disadvantages: Finding good shoes my size is a pain in the ass, same thing with some clothes (pants in particular), the dumb "how's the weather up there?" jokes I've heard practically my entire life, other people have to strain their necks to look at me eye to eye
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 03-10-2002).]

The disadvantages of being short:

I'm short, barely under 5'1" - most of my life I hated being the small fry. And since I've got them child bearing hips and a, erm, uh, bosom... and a very small waist, finding clothes that fit properly all around has always been an obstacle for me, just as it is for some of my friends (both male and female) who are really tall.

I can't reach anything when I see something at the grocery store that's on the top shelf. I usually wait for a good samaritan who's tall to come along and grab an item off a shelf.

Because I'm short, people can't see me. Or people choose not to see me. It happens all the time when I'm standing in line somewhere. People will try to cut right in front of me or sales people behind the register will look right over my head and flag down the next (taller) customer they see who happens to be right behind me.

I can't tell you how many times I've almost broken my ankle or neck from wearing high heels.
wink.gif

Sitting comfortably in chairs (especially the ones in schools or restaurants) is, well uncomfortable. It's not that I can't reach the table or desk, but my feet don't exactly rest comfortably on the ground - they usually dangle there. I can't sit back in a chair, as the seat of the chair won't allow my knees to bend. So I have to sit forward enough so my feet will rest on the ground but the edge of the seat piches the area above the knee which affects the circulation in my legs.

There have been studies shown that shorter people have a harder time moving up the corporate ladder - this goes for men and women. It is perceived that taller people exude an air of authority and assertiveness over a person of short stature (hence, a boss that everyone *should* look up to) This may be a cultural bias though. Also, short people who are assertive either in the workplace or wherever are tagged as having a Napolean complex.

The Advantages:

Aside from the minor but sometimes annoying quirks above, I really enjoy my height now that I'm older. I am perfectly comfortable in my body, it's just me and I like it. It took a long time to get over the fact that society likes to tell young women that being tall and slender with no hips is "in" and fashionable and sexy and important.

Miss MacPhisto mentioned that being short gives you a more youthful appearance which I believe to be true in my case. I think it may be one of the reasons why people don't think I am the age I am.

Being short means you can sit in the backseat of a car and not get your shins caught underneath the front seat.

Being short (and a short woman in this case) means that when I am at the store and I want something off the top shelf, it's usually a much taller man who happily jumps to the rescue. heheh.

Being short means I can play dress up to the 9's and wear high heels, and not dwarf everyone in the room.

Being short means there's more cuddle room with my 6'1" husband.
wink.gif

That being said - everyone usually has some sort of gripe about their height or size or whatever. It's really all a matter of how you perceive yourself in the end. There's advantages and disadvantages to every size in the spectrum.

As far as what I like in the opposite sex: Personally I've always gravitated toward taller men but I've dated or been attracted to a few short hottie men. I never really had a preference, never expected a person I was with to have a certain hair color or eye color, or fill a height requirement. But I think one of the reasons I may have gravitated toward taller men could have something to do my being short - my primal instincts assuring my survival and protection come from someone of the opposite sex who is larger than I am. I know that was a loose based scientific theory, but on the same notion there are primal instincts that indicate that taller women are sexier (more suitable for bearing larger children, and by larger I mean *larger* in the sense that the offspring will ensure survival as opposed to offspring that are smaller and 'weaker.') Taller women, as it is indicated in magazines made to appeal to both sexes, represent full grown womanhood (as opposed to the shorter stature of vertically challenged women with a short set of pegs which is more indicative - in a primal way - of women who haven't reached adulthood yet.) <--- anyone ever see the program called The Sex Files on Discover Channel, it talks about this

On the same token it is noted that taller men symbolize strength, sexual prowress, virility and protectiveness - which tap into the women's primal instinct of choosing a mate with these qualities to ensure propagation of the human race.

Again, the ideas above may be due to some cultural bias therefore indicating that size does indeed matter.

But personally, I don't think size matters. There are advantages and disadvantages to everything in size. In my eyes I think there are as many short men and women who are attractive, sexy, strong and assertive as there are tall people of the world. Looks aren't everything.

Originally posted by z edge:

And BTW, WTF is 155 cm
wink.gif

smile.gif
Well, what is 5'11'' ?
wink.gif

How much is 155 cm? About 5'?

Come to think of it, the rest of my family is taller than me too. 182 cm my Dad, 173 my Mum, and my brothers both over 180 cm too. So i have no idea where i got that height inherited from.
smile.gif

I have no problems finding shoes or clothes (though occasionally i end up buying something on the children's department - because it fits and because the women's department just doesn't have that piece of clothing), and i had my share of teasing about being small.
On one hand, it can be hard to reach something on a high shelf, on the other hand, i think i can move around easier/faster than some very tall person.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 03-10-2002).]

Well, I'm kind of short (5"4, 5"5 on a good day) but I do think size matters.
Personally I could never go out with a guy who's shorter than me - I don't care if he's short (most guys in my life these days are) but as long as he's not shorter!

I've also noticed that if a gorgeous, shorter woman was to walk by and a not-bad looking really tall woman walked by, the taller woman ALWAYS catches the man's eye...Interesting...I guess that's why most supermodels are tall!

I'm 5'3" and petite. It used to bother me when I was in my 20's, but the older I get I don't mind my size. I look a lot younger than I am. The only down part about it I sometimes have to get my pants & dresses altered. Other wise I'm ok with my size.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Peaseblossom:
I'm 5'2 3/4 " and I really like it. It makes it very easy to fit right under a guys chin when you're cuddling.
smile.gif
Although, when your dad's 6'2, your sis is 6'1 and your mom is 5'11, you do get a lot of questions.
How tall was the mailman??

------------------
The joker is the best card.

Originally posted by U2girl:
Your height - how does it affect you in real life? (particularly a question for the smaller people)

Yep. I'm 5'10 and 3/4" tall. And that sucks when all the guys you go to school with are MUCH shorter than you (and the one who likes you is 5'4" if that). It inconvienances prom and all of those silly things that people care about. I really don't notice it too much, until someone goes "wow, you're tall. how'd you get that way?" and I wanna whack 'em. Granted I don't know what it's like to be extremely short (I believ I passed the 5' mark by 4th grade), but it can't be less annoyting than being freakishly tall. Boo tallness...

------------------
Proud owner, maker and baker of THE U2 cookies.

I'm tall myself, 5'9 before shoes...
biggrin.gif

It has it's advantages... like Diemen said for sports etc, when I played basketball it came in handy since I"ve been this tall since I was about 14... but on the other hand it can be a pain in the ass too, but more so when I was younger. I've always liked that guys I've dated to be taller than me because I was insecure about my height, but not so much anymore. My boyfriend now is about 3 inches taller than me, but when I wear shoes we're the same height and I love being at eye level with him!
biggrin.gif
He digs it too
smile.gif

------------------
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Originally posted by Diemen:
Seriously though, it's got it's advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages: it's a bonus in sports like basketball and volleyball, I'm easy to find in a crowd and can find my way through crowds and see over them easier than most (a nice plus at concerts!
biggrin.gif
), There are few people I have to literally look up to, and I offer a lot more cuddle space than most people
wink.gif
, and um....some other size advantages...
biggrin.gif

Disadvantages: Finding good shoes my size is a pain in the ass, same thing with some clothes (pants in particular), the dumb "how's the weather up there?" jokes I've heard practically my entire life, other people have to strain their necks to look at me eye to eye
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 03-10-2002).]

6'6'' here, spot on!!! Hey, you get those jokes too?? Feck sake, the world is damn repetitive!

And I like short cute girls. But then there is those tall beautiful goddess types, ah feck it, it only matters when I slam my head off something, and of course when ya gotta be sitting down to, well, encounter certain things

First, you should definatly post your poem. I can't wait to hear it, and no, it doesn't have to rhyme.

I am pretty tall for a girl. 5'8. I love it. I am taller then all my girlfriends, and shorter (or the same height) as all my guy friends. I can get away weith weighing more then if I was short, and I can always reach things on the top shelf.

The only thing that I don't like is that it is hard to find long enough pants.

My boyfriend is 6'0 and I think that '4 is a perfect height difference. I once dated a short guy and it was sort of akward.

------------------
***Spinny***
"OH, SINNY- er,um- SPINNY!" (freudian slip?)-JulyFly

"Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly
Could it be he's taken over me????
"

Back
Top Bottom