Does it make ANY sense?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Why, when greeting each other, do people always begin with this same conversation:

Person A: "Hey!"
Person B: "Hi, how're you doing?"
Person A: "Good! How are you?"
Person B: "Good!"

:lmao: Does it seem a little pointless to anyone else? Don't get me wrong, I do it too, but think about it...When Person B asks how Person A is doing, are they really expecting to hear, "Not so good" and then rattle off a laundry list of reasons why? Is there some sort of law that states that all conversations must begin with these little tags?

STOP the insanity!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I agree. When I was staying at a hotel last week, a man held the door open for me, and after I thanked him, he asked me how I was. It's like...do you REALLY want to know? Cuz if you do...you might want to get something to drink cuz this could be awhile...

Bonochick said:
I agree. When I was staying at a hotel last week, a man held the door open for me, and after I thanked him, he asked me how I was. It's like...do you REALLY want to know? Cuz if you do...you might want to get something to drink cuz this could be awhile...

:lol: The mom of one of my friends did that to a salesperson that called her once. I guess the lady was like, "And how are you this afternoon?" so my friends mom, who has five kids and is ALWAYS busy, proceeded to tell the lady just exactly how crappy her day was going. :lol:

:lmao: BC, I just read your sigy...:lmao: That's bloody brilliant! ("bloody brilliant" is my favorite phrase of the moment).

one time i was at subway paying for my lunch and this kid behind the counter mumbled "how are you doing?" to me, while looking down at the floor. i just stared at him w/ silence until he looked up at me and i said "look, i know you don't really care how i am doing, so don't even waste your time asking such questions. just ring my lunch up please!"

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
one time i was at subway paying for my lunch and this kid behind the counter mumbled "how are you doing?" to me, while looking down at the floor. i just stared at him w/ silence until he looked up at me and i said "look, i know you don't really care how i am doing, so don't even waste your time asking such questions. just ring my lunch up please!"

:lmao: That's awesome! One of these days I am SO going to have to do that!

if this social standard were to disappear...we would sit around wondering why no one ever cares how anyone else is.

'hello sam!'
'how are you doing joe?'
we should wear name tags

kobayashi said:
if this social standard were to disappear...we would sit around wondering why no one ever cares how anyone else is.

'hello sam!'
'how are you doing joe?'
we should wear name tags

:hmm: Well...maybe if somebody actually DOES care, they should ask. It shouldn't just be something that you SAY...It's like if people said "I love you" to everybody they met. Then it wouldn't mean anything, right? :wink:

i usually approach people on what their thoughts of geese are.

perplexed, they usually find an excuse on their own to go and talk to someone else. it puts all the pressure on them to get out of there. :up:

I hate when customers call at work, or telemarketers call at home and the first thing they ask is "hi! how are you doing today mam?" and then proceed to pitch me their line :|

i have a similar problem. yet my problem makes it appear i care even less about people-it makes it appear i am mean.

if i buy something...lets say a sandwich for instance...after paying the clerk will tell me to enjoy my sandwich. i instictively respond by saying 'yeah, you too.'

this response has garnered a variety of responses from humorous to anger. some people think im teasing them.

it is all very unfortunate but it cant be stopped.

The automatic response of 'you too' can be a conversation killer, kills it before it even begins. Years ago a neighbour wished me a happy birthday and I glibbly respond "yeah, you too". Silence. And the conversation was over, no small talk.
I hate telemarketers more than small talk. They ring and say the customary how are you today. I reply with a pointed "fine (emphasis on the I) and you?" and when they give the also customary "great! thanks for asking" I tune out to the sales pitch and darkly think 'No you are not great, you hate your job and all the abuse. You probably hate me on principle because I am a potential launchpad for more abuse, you wish you studied more or travelled, or picked some other job in the paper to apply to that fateful day, you dont want to speak to me any more than I want to speak to you, why do we exchange pleasantries when we couldn't give less of a shit of how each other are on this glorious day? And yes isnt the weather lovely?' (insert appropriate cursing where applicable)

.......Sorry, where were we? Small talk. Apologies for the sidetrack into telemarketing there.

Angela Harlem said:
.......Sorry, where were we? Small talk. Apologies for the sidetrack into telemarketing there.

That's quite alright! Usually I hang up before the telemarketer even gets a chance to say anything...you can always tell when you pick up the phone and there's this annoyingly-long pause...

after a year + here at interference i've become good friends with many international people.

and i've noticed that the idea of "how're you?" is different to americans than everyone else.

americans say "how're you" and only want "fine" "good" or "ok"

but other people actually *gasp* MEAN it! which is why it's always funny when i talk to people and i'm all "how're you!" and they tell me their days' story and i just say "fine".

My friend and I actually have a tradition of starting all phone conversations the same way:

Hey!
What's up?
Not much.
How sad.
I know.

Then we actually start talking about things of interest that have happened. It just shows how meaningless "how are you?" and "what's up?" have become.

Back
Top Bottom