Does it make ANY sense? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2003, 07:11 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
I hate small talk.
Me too. I ONLY say "How are you?" to people I know. When people I don't know ask it, I almost never ask it back.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:22 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:44 PM
i have a similar problem. yet my problem makes it appear i care even less about people-it makes it appear i am mean.

if i buy something...lets say a sandwich for instance...after paying the clerk will tell me to enjoy my sandwich. i instictively respond by saying 'yeah, you too.'

this response has garnered a variety of responses from humorous to anger. some people think im teasing them.

it is all very unfortunate but it cant be stopped.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:32 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Well, I always like finding any excuse to say "you too!"
Old 02-24-2003, 11:01 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:44 AM
The automatic response of 'you too' can be a conversation killer, kills it before it even begins. Years ago a neighbour wished me a happy birthday and I glibbly respond "yeah, you too". Silence. And the conversation was over, no small talk.
I hate telemarketers more than small talk. They ring and say the customary how are you today. I reply with a pointed "fine (emphasis on the I) and you?" and when they give the also customary "great! thanks for asking" I tune out to the sales pitch and darkly think 'No you are not great, you hate your job and all the abuse. You probably hate me on principle because I am a potential launchpad for more abuse, you wish you studied more or travelled, or picked some other job in the paper to apply to that fateful day, you dont want to speak to me any more than I want to speak to you, why do we exchange pleasantries when we couldn't give less of a shit of how each other are on this glorious day? And yes isnt the weather lovely?' (insert appropriate cursing where applicable)

.......Sorry, where were we? Small talk. Apologies for the sidetrack into telemarketing there.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:16 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
.......Sorry, where were we? Small talk. Apologies for the sidetrack into telemarketing there.
That's quite alright! Usually I hang up before the telemarketer even gets a chance to say anything...you can always tell when you pick up the phone and there's this annoyingly-long pause...
Old 02-24-2003, 03:51 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:44 AM
after a year + here at interference i've become good friends with many international people.

and i've noticed that the idea of "how're you?" is different to americans than everyone else.

americans say "how're you" and only want "fine" "good" or "ok"

but other people actually *gasp* MEAN it! which is why it's always funny when i talk to people and i'm all "how're you!" and they tell me their days' story and i just say "fine".
Old 02-24-2003, 07:06 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:44 PM
My friend and I actually have a tradition of starting all phone conversations the same way:

Hey!
What's up?
Not much.
How sad.
I know.

Then we actually start talking about things of interest that have happened. It just shows how meaningless "how are you?" and "what's up?" have become.