Does intelligent post interest people?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why? Did you just meet someone who thought brawn was more impressive?

Intelligence is highly impressive to me,
always has been, always will be.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
Why? Did you just meet someone who thought brawn was more impressive?

Intelligence is highly impressive to me,
always has been, always will be.

Is this question directed at me?

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 11-01-2001).]

Intelligence is vital. Physical attraction is great and all, but you have to talk to someone if you want to spend a lot of time with them. I've never dated anyone with whom I couldn't have a great, intelligent conversation.

Originally posted by TheU2:
Is this question directed at me?

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 11-01-2001).]

Not at all. It was in response to the question posted at the top of the thread. Our posts must have hit around the same time.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:

Not at all. It was in response to the question posted at the top of the thread. Our posts must have hit around the same time.

That's what I thought.

CK

Yes, but I believe (and not to nitpick, but I only mention this because of the title of the thread) that the title of the thread should read "Do intelligent posts interest people". I'm not very good with grammer, so maybe I'm wrong.

But yeah, I'm always looking for a good debate/thread to comment on. It's just sometimes I don't have time to really get into things, so at least for me, I need to be in the right frame of mind to get in an intellectual conversation on this board.

Other times I'm just looking to be goofy when I post here
tongue.gif

------------------
I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me.

Popkidu2, you're actually right. It should say "Do intelligent posts...". It seems quite ridiculous to have such a title with such an error. I must confess my first language is French and I did a "translating" error, which is not usual for me. But I confess... Still, my point is "Does intelligent interest people". It's alright to be goofy and we even NEED to be goofy. Though, I think there should be place for intelligent posts, which seem to be rare on this forum. People told me to have people read my posts, I should put sex in my title. I mean, ok, people will read, but shit, not for the good reasons. Get what I mean? Why does intelligent doesn't ring the "fun bell" too? We can have fun digging intelligent stuff too... Equilibrium????

If intelligence is impressive, why is there so few persons expressing so? Anyone interested in a conversation with an intelligent subject, give me some news!!!

Hey, I'm sure this should come as no surprise, but there are some pretty dumb Mensans out there; I've met a few.

foray

------------------
the only thing I know is that I know nothing

Without being offensive, I definitely think you're right. And I think a good part of the posts aren't... let's say deep. I mean, some can be goofy and easy going, but still exchanging something. Sometimes, it feels as if everyone is just shouting stuff for the fun of doing it!

Originally posted by soul service:
Why?

Occasionally (very occasionally) I'll get into intelligent conversations on this board. But, most of the time, i'd like to goof around. I don't have much chance to goof around in my "real" life.

And the "intelligent" or "serious" posts around here have to do with people's opinions.....there are alot of different views on this board. I really don't want to get involved in politics here. There's plenty of times to do that elsewhere. Do not assume that I think taking part in these discussions are a waste of time. Quite the contrary. Many people can express their thoughts much more clearly through the written word then through the spoken world. Not sure if this answered your "why", but it will have to be sufficent for now.

CK

Yup! That's sufficient... Still, rather than talking politic or whatever, I'd go in a spiritual or just life talking. or just goofing, but with a goal. Know what I mean? I like to do things for a reason which is evolution. Maybe I'm too much in my head. But, no, I'd like to talk from the heart, but it seems people aren't that open, even if not in real life.

What you usually get from me on this board:

GREAt!

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 11-05-2001).]

Whoa, I didn't say that the discussions on this board aren't deep enough. I think that we have a fair share of deep and superficial topics. As for those who 'shout for the sake of shouting'... Hey, relax; it's a forum. That's what forums are for. Some people find it difficult to be goofy in real life, so they have an escape in online forums.

foray

Originally posted by soul service:
Right... I'm just not used to it. I guess I was looking for something else.

soul service,

My experience with Forums that have a good assortment of "intelligent" postings has been off of http://www.deja.com. There are hundreds of discussion groups on Philosophy, Psychology, every musical group - basically, anything any human anywhere would want to talk about - is on Deja.

Hope this helps!

If Deja doesn't sound appealing, the Free Your Mind Forum that popkidu2 suggested is just the ticket!

deja sounds appealing... But, I answered myself in this thread. "Maybe it's not what I'm looking for". I'm looking for personal contact. I need people to put their soul in what they do, cause I do so. I need to feel, even by computer, who the other is. I don't want shitty stuff written behind a mask. I'm not saying that's what is on deja. It's just that I realised I maybe more want a personal contact, one on one, rather than a forum. Also realised I didn't appreciate myself for spending so much time on forums, because, the time I spend on it talking and "figuring" things, even about life, it's not worth applying things. I rather take this time to DO things instead of talking. I think I found a bit what I was looking for. I need concrete goals right now, something I can achieve instead of something I can conceptualise. Hope you get what I mean. I still believe that exchanging with people is ok, but not the way I do it. And it only concerns myself... Not including others in that. I believe in evolution and I need new stuff to embrase my brain and belly. I need to feel this fire inside saying "Give yourself to it!!!". If you're open to any discussion, give me news of it, on the forum or by e-mail (soul_serv@hotmail.com). Willing to talk about anything and everything! Hope I didn't bore you!!! Thank for everything!

Only if you can walk straight while eating a chewing gum, being buzzed and drunk at the same time. Otherwize, it's a waiste of time, I tell you, that internet stuff, blablabla...

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : <A HREF="http://www.unesco.org
Amnesty" TARGET=_blank>www.unesco.org
Amnesty</A> International : www.amnesty.org - Greenpeace International : <A HREF="http://www.greenpeace.org
Reporters" TARGET=_blank>www.greenpeace.org
Reporters</A> Sans Fronti?res [Reporters Without Borders] : www.rsf.fr - M?decins Sans Fronti?res [Doctors Without Borders] : www.paris.msf.org

Alright, Holy John, add this to your lil unicef and other dealies.
http://www.thehungersite.com/

gives ppl a chance to donate free food to 3rd world countries. I try to get there every now and again, idealy you go once a day, but its hard to keep others in mind while dealing with a busy life.

The better question to ask is - perhaps of yourself - is what you consider "intelligent." Some people feel that a good understanding of either mechanical or mathematical concepts is the definition of intelligence. However, I should point out that most mathematically inclined people are considered "poindexters" and many people with a strong mechanical intuition, such as car mechanics, are "grease jockeys." Neither are respected in society.

Often people consider wit as a sign of intelligence - until said wit offends them or they "don't get it." Dennis Miller is an example of this. Miller is a very witty man, but apparently, far TOO witty for Monday Night Football.

In other words, you have to define what you consider intelligent. Once you have this definition, I guarantee you will find it in numerous posts on this board.

DoctorWho, I must confess that the use of "intelligent" wasn't exact. What I mean by intelligent doesn't refer in anyway to maths. I believe that some people who doesn't understand a thing to maths can be very intelligent! Intelligence can barely be described, because it's way too large. What I wanted to say was something... people rely on. The basis. You know, the thing that makes we all connect together. I wanted to talk about basis, to see if the structure I was building on it was going to stand when finished... I wanted to talk about things that can make you change your way of seeing things or life or wathever... So, I agree that the term "intelligent" wasn't correct.

People always think they're right. I wanted to find people who were able to say "Maybe I'm wrong...". Humility is a sign of intelligence, cause you understood you can learn from everyone. That's what I was looking for : learning. And some people base their opinion on others opinion, which, sometimes, they don't truly understand. Still, they believe they possess the truth in their hands. I wanted to exchange with people who had built themselves their own ideas on things. Maybe that's what I was saying by "intelligent"...

Back
Top Bottom