Does anyone know anything about moving overseas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.Clayton

Refugee
I have this obsession with moving to Scotland. I went there last year for holiday and I loved it. I don't want to just visit, I need to live there, I can't explain it.
I work for an international company, so transferring wouldn't be out of the question but here's my problem...
I don't know anyone who has ever moved overseas. I don't know the first thing about how to do it, all I can assume is there is a lot of paperwork.
Does anyone here know anything about moving and working overseas?
I need any help and advice you can give me.
Mrs.Clayton

wow this sounds like what happend to me when i traveled overseas last spring. the desire has never left. i did a lot of research on it but am not in a position to really act on it at this time. there are plenty in here who have done the move so i am sure you will be able to get some great assitance. :)

:banghead: :mad:
I just called the corporate HQ and it's not easily done(an international transfer)...so I'd almost be better off finding my own job once I got there.
I know Sula moved overseas, but she's not working(is she?)...
If anyone can :help:
Mrs.C

I've lived in 4 different countries, so maybe I can be of slight help.

It really depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. I am not familiar with Scottish immigration laws, so I am not sure how they handle things.

It depends on whether you want to establish temporary or permanent residence in that country. If you just want to live and work there for a while, then you commonly need work visas or to be sponsored by a particular company. When your own company sends you abroad or offers you a transfer, generally, they are very helpful with getting the necessary paperwork, and oftentimes do it on your behalf, as much as they can. If you want to permanently move, then you have to go through the country's immigration laws, which can be a lengthy process, sometimes several years long, and they often require you to either have family sponsor you in the country, or they require proof of employment, or you have to be somebody who is in a desirable sector at the time (like say when they hired computer programmers massively in Silicon Valley, etc).

Anitram, thank you for your help.
If I've researched this correctly, I need a work visa to work in the UK, but I can't apply for the work visa, the company I want to work for must do the paperwork.
:scream: :angry: :banghead:

Ok my quick answer is - do you happen to have citizenship in any EU country?

I'm getting my irish citizenship this year so that I can move to Europe. try looking into that. Do you have a grandparent who was born overseas? if they didn't take american citizenship (i.e. if they are just permanent residents) you can probably pick up citizenship. In doing so you get around all the paperwork, and yes there is tons, and it is difficult to get a working visa if you don't already have a job there. Play the transfer angle if at all possible.
I'm moving out of the country for my third time in June. I know a bit about it....

UK immigration laws are the bane of my existence. If you aren't an EU or Commonwealth citizen, it's VERY difficult to immigrate here. For American citizens, a job transfer is by far the easiest (legal) option, unless you qualify for the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (http://www.workpermits.gov.uk/default.asp?pageid=3631).

Becoming a student is probably the second easiest option, but you can only work 20 hours a week during term time on a student visa, and it's difficult to find a permanent job afterwards since the employer has to apply for a work visa for you and basically has to prove that there is no as qualified for the job in the UK or the rest of the EU.

Expats sites (http://www.americanexpats.co.uk/ ,
http://www.uk-yankee.com/ ) are a good source of information.

I've been living in London for the past year getting my masters degree. Basically, it's very difficult to move here unless you have a job or are studying, which is the easiest. If you could transfer within your company, that would be best. Actually getting a job...difficult. As megan said, immigration laws and work visas are tough to get around now. While it is not impossible, it is definitley difficult - especially if you don't have connections to jobs or universities here....I'd just try to find US companies with offices where you want to work, who might at some point want to transfer you there. Or study. I've been trying to sort out what to do this year, and sadly, I have to leave. I've not been able to find a job. Granted, I was awfully busy doing my dissertation so I wasn't putting full effort into job hunting, and i do know some americans who found something, but if you aren't coming out of a UK university, or working for a US company, being a US citizen makes things very difficult. Actually, even coming out of a UK uni/US company things are still tough. It's just more feasible that way. Sorry, not to sound negative, it IS defintiely possible, and even though I have to go home in a couple weeks, I"m still trying to get back. I haven't given up hope! It's just certainly something you really have to put effort into or get lucky. I've known people who have suceeded both of those ways though, so...good luck!

sula is working. ;) but with an organization that arranged all the details. :wave:

best of luck. hello from beautiful Africa!

:scream:
I have nothing...no relatives from over there, a job that won't let me transfer overseas, and I'm not a student...
I just want to sit on the floor and cry :mad:
But...
I came up with something else that might work.
I just might take a leave of absence from work(maybe two months or so)and spend a shorter time(but less hassle)in Scotland. I wouldn't be "living" there, but I'd be there for an extended time.
We'll see...
Thank you all for your information and help, I really appreciate it!!
I'll keep you up to date with what I plan on doing.
Maybe I can visit some of you :sexywink:
Mrs.Clayton

How long ago did you graduate from university? If it was fairly recently, look into BUNAC. It's a programme where you can get a work visa for like 6 months if you graduated fairly recently...I can't remember if it's one year or what...

jkayet said:
How long ago did you graduate from university? If it was fairly recently, look into BUNAC. It's a programme where you can get a work visa for like 6 months if you graduated fairly recently...I can't remember if it's one year or what...

You can also always enroll in a class or two at a local community college or university and it counts for BUNAC too, apparently.

Mrs.Clayton said:

:yes:
That has been suggested by my coworkers...

There are some good looking Scotsmen too there is a family from Sctoland moved here a few months ago - they have 3 lovely sons :drool:

Lara Mullen said:

There are some good looking Scotsmen too there is a family from Sctoland moved here a few months ago - they have 3 lovely sons :drool:

Why do you think I chose Scotland? :sexywink:

This is not working the way I thought it would...after I found out that I couldn't transfer, I thought "I'll just take a leave of absence from work" and go over for 6 weeks or so. Now we have a new manager at work and rumor is he's mad at all the people that have gotten away with doing that in the past :mad:
So now what do I do?
I'm really tempted to quit my job and pack my bag and go...
Part of me says "Are you crazy? Quit your job to move to europe, where I'd have no job" the other part says "Why not?"
:banghead:

Is there anyone here who lives over in the UK/Ireland who would be willing to answer some questions I have. We can do this through email so the thread doesn't get to 7 pages.
If anyone would be willing, I won't be a pain, it's just a few questions.
mrs_clayton@hotmail.com
thanks!

My email is agirlinthisvicinity@msn.com if you want to email me. My internet access is a bit sporadic this week because I have to use the labs until I'm connected in my flat, but I'll try to check once a day. I know a bit about immigration since I've been trying to find a way to stay here permanently, and my fiance is English, so if you have any questions that only a native UKer can answer, I can ask him.

Mrs.Clayton said:

Why do you think I chose Scotland? :sexywink:

This is not working the way I thought it would...after I found out that I couldn't transfer, I thought "I'll just take a leave of absence from work" and go over for 6 weeks or so. Now we have a new manager at work and rumor is he's mad at all the people that have gotten away with doing that in the past :mad:
So now what do I do?
I'm really tempted to quit my job and pack my bag and go...
Part of me says "Are you crazy? Quit your job to move to europe, where I'd have no job" the other part says "Why not?"
:banghead:

Why not!! :yes: Go and live there for a bit and see what happens - this year I am going interrailing in France & Spain I think I need to borrow the maximum student loan available to me to be able to afford it :uhoh: :hmm: this will be my first trip abroad and im very excited.

Back
Top Bottom