Does anyone have any info on Damien Rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He went to school with my mate in Kildare, he says he got on like a prick in school. I have O, its not bad but he sold out canonball by have the record company releasing a more radio friendly version. If you want the real deal with music like this check out "for the birds" by The Frames.

yeah that 'cannonball' remix is pretty shit

i'm thinking of getting that b-sides ep of his

and am of course eagerly awaiting news he's recording a new album

which of course may be years

Damien Rice is all about his live shows. The record is good but the show is mindblowing. I've seen him twice, once with The Frames opening so had a nice side-by-side comparison. Completely different kinds of performances. You can't even compare them, really. The Frames are more like a rowdy bar band with some sensitive moments and great musicians and funny stories. Great, great fun, love them. Rice is dark, intense, arty, can be funny sometimes but generally it's a serious affair where he really gets inside the characters' head, a bit like Jeff Buckley meets Thom Yorke. It was one of the most extraordinary performances I've ever seen, and nothing like his record. If you ever get the chance, go see him!

yertle-the-turtle said:

and am of course eagerly awaiting news he's recording a new album

which of course may be years

Seriously. How long can someone promote the same album? He's been playing the same songs since at least 2000, there are ads for "O" on TV ALL THE TIME and in every shop, and it's been out for almost THREE years. I would write an album for him, at this point, just so I could stop hearing about "O" all the time. :mad:

meegannie said:

Seriously. How long can someone promote the same album? He's been playing the same songs since at least 2000, there are ads for "O" on TV ALL THE TIME and in every shop, and it's been out for almost THREE years. I would write an album for him, at this point, just so I could stop hearing about "O" all the time. :mad:

:lol: I have to admit, I change the channel when something from O comes on. Our local station plays him all the time. I love him but I'm pretty sick of that record.

Oh, and Tori Amos' new record coming out next month has a duet with him called The Power of Orange Knickers :eeklaugh:

meegannie said:

Yet another case of over-exposure in other parts of the world while he's pretty much unknown here. (well as far as I can tell)

Actually I kinda agree with Megan. I haven't touched 'O' in quite some time because I played it over and over in 2003 and while the songs remain magnificent, I've heard enough of them to be wanting more. I do still want that b-sides disc though because I haven't quite heard all of them yet.

joyfulgirl said:
Oh, and Tori Amos' new record coming out next month has a duet with him called The Power of Orange Knickers :eeklaugh:

I really cant wait to hear this song. I love Damien and Tori!

I can't wait to hear the duet with him and Tori. And yeah I am tried of O being promoted. I want some new material. His live shows are amazing and prefer to listen to his live stuff more than his studio recording.

Either way he is my favorite singer/songwriter. And I look forward to seeing him perform again.

I LOVE Damien Rice, it´s a shame I can´t find his record anywhere here in South America.

Oh, and his song with Tori Amos. It´s HAUNTING. I thought it would be silly because of the title but it´s not... it´s very dark. Gives me chills.

FelipeVox said:

Oh, and his song with Tori Amos. It´s HAUNTING. I thought it would be silly because of the title but it´s not... it´s very dark. Gives me chills.

Tell us where we can hear it!!!

he has some alright songs
but the majority are uninteresting

Live is amazing, I got to catch a show last April with him and The Frames. It was wild, one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

I don't know much more than what is said on those sites either, but I do know he likes squirrels. *g*

Back
Top Bottom