Does anyone else get blisters from their wedding ring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cydewaze

Refugee
I love wearing my ring but I've noticed that the skin around the base of my finger is peeling. This is probably more from me playing with the ring than from wearing it, but the skin underneath the peeled part is bright pink and tender. Fortunately it doesn't hurt at all. :up:

Is this normal, and will my finger "toughen up" from normal wearing of the ring, or should I lather the finger up with lotion or something?

I don't wear any rings on a regular basis because of this. I have the same problem.

You can use hydrocortisone for temporary relief. Keep the ring off as much as possible to keep the skin dry. I wash my hands a lot so I think soap getting trapped underneath jewelry makes it worse.

I didn't realize other people had that problem too. The only jewelry I wear all the time is my ONE band.:D oh and of course my dirty day band :shifty:

By the way I talked to my jeweler about it and he said I could have all my stuff changed to platinum be he didn't really think it would help.

Last edited:
I have been married 35 years! I have had the same problem over the years. I haven't work my wedding band for years and years because of it. I do wear a small ring, which doesn't cause me any problems. I believe we are either allergic to the metal, or water, dirt, other materials being trapped under the band. :|

cydewaze said:
Is this normal, and will my finger "toughen up" from normal wearing of the ring, or should I lather the finger up with lotion or something?

Wear it or :madwife:

PS...you can lather up with lotion this weekend when the Mrs. is with us in Beantown...! :lol:

I never had the problem - but I did have it cleaned regularly so maybe that helped :)

Re: Re: Does anyone else get blisters from their wedding ring?

Mr. BAW said:

Wear it or :madwife:

PS...you can lather up with lotion this weekend when the Mrs. is with us in Beantown...! :lol:

Oh! You are going to Boston? You´ll have to find me and say hi then! :wink:

This is the 1st time that I've ever worn a ring in my life and I initially got a callous below the base of my finger on the palm. No problems with peeling though.

A couple of things that might be working in my favor are that my knuckles are big enough that when the ring passes it, it allows some freedom on the lower part of my finger which probably helps. And it's Platinum. I don't know if I'd be allergic to Silver or Gold, or other metals, maybe it's the type of metal you're wearing?

But isn't this a great problem to have? :wink: :yes:

Two possibilities:

1. Allergic reaction to the gold used in the ring. Not necessarily the gold itself, but the other materials used to "stretch" the gold. There can be quite a difference between a 14K, an 18K and a 22K ring.

2. Skin under ring not dry after washing hands, etc.

I don't have any rings...I can't even keep a watch on my hand. I ripped the strap off by getting it caught in a tree...:sad:

The closest I've come to a wedding ring is one I made from tinfoil to give my "girlfriend" when I was 9.

:reject:

Last edited:
I miss wearing my ring, and I never had any problems with allergies or skin problems but my guess is going to be some kind of allergy. Hate to say it. Try not wearing the ring for a few days and see if the problem goes away, then wear the ring again. If it happens again I bet it's allergies.

It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between the ring problem and problems with the adhesive on band-aids. I developed a terrible allergy not too many years ago with that. If I have applied a band-aid and then take it off, a big, red, itchy patch appears where the band-aid adhesive has been. It will stay there for days.

hasn't happened yet...its only been 2 months of marriage though:heart:

I am looking forward to my finger peeling off though:|

I don't have rings, but I do wear toe-rings. One of them was a thicker band and I wore it for about a year w/o taking it off. Then one day at the end of summer, I felt this itch so I took it off. I guess sand had got trapped under the band all summer. I had no skin left under the band, it was red, raw, and oozed the second I exposed it to air. It wasn't infected or anything, the skin was just gone (like when neglected dogs get embedded collars). It took a few months to heal/grow back and for a long time I thought I'd have a permanent scar around my toe. So yeah, take your rings off every now and then!

ewings said:
It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between the ring problem and problems with the adhesive on band-aids. I developed a terrible allergy not too many years ago with that. If I have applied a band-aid and then take it off, a big, red, itchy patch appears where the band-aid adhesive has been. It will stay there for days.

I'm madly allergic to adhesive on bandaids and so on as well, just like you describe. The worst is usually that white paperish tape pathologists tape cotton wool wads on after a blood test or something. All brands of other bandaids cause a similar but less severe reaction, so I'm guessing there's a uniform ingredient on all?

Never have problems with rings though unless the band is not smooth and flat, or large enough to be rolled around my finger easily. I'm going to guess cydewaze's ring is flat. Perhaps the problem is coming from the added pressure of handle bars. It should heal or toughen in time. Dont bother with moisturiser, it will only keep the skin softer for longer (therefore prolonging the problem) once it finally works on what is fairly tough skin anyway.

Re: Re: Re: Does anyone else get blisters from their wedding ring?

Niamh_Saoirse said:

Paul isn't going but I am! I just found out you were going a few minutes ago from my dear friend Mischka! I can't wait to meet you at last!!!! :hyper:

Re: Re: Re: Does anyone else get blisters from their wedding ring?

Niamh_Saoirse said:

Yes, we are...I hope to finally meet you! :) We're going Sunday, we'll try to find peeples Sunday night and then we have Monday tickets. pm ur cell # if you wish...........

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anyone else get blisters from their wedding ring?

Mrs. Edge said:

Paul isn't going but I am! I just found out you were going a few minutes ago from my dear friend Mischka! I can't wait to meet you at last!!!! :hyper:

YAY! It´s gonna be so nice to meet you after all this time. :hyper:

Boston is gonna be OUT OF CONTROL!

I can´t wait! :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anyone else get blisters from their wedding ring?

Mr. BAW said:

Yes, we are...I hope to finally meet you! :) We're going Sunday, we'll try to find peeples Sunday night and then we have Monday tickets. pm ur cell # if you wish...........

I´m leaving tomorrow morning and arriving in Boston at around 3.15 local time.

This is my email addy: flavia_cobas@yahoo.com.ar.

What´s yours? I can´t PM because I´m not a premium member! BUH!:mad:

cydewaze said:
I love wearing my ring but I've noticed that the skin around the base of my finger is peeling ... the skin underneath the peeled part is bright pink and tender.

i've had this problem too and my doctor told me it's from moisture and soap being trapped under my ring. He advised to help control it take the ring off while washing, and make sure your hand is completely dry before putting it back on. It may be a timely process but it helps.

Back
Top Bottom