Does anyone actually watch the new Simpsons episodes each week?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I am one of the biggest Simpsons fans you'll ever meet. I have been watching the show since I was 5 and haven't stopped, even when the show was unbearably bad from about 2000 to 2003. I still watch the new episodes, but I just record them and watch them later. I still LOL on occasion, but damn, they have nothing on the classics...some of those classic episodes from season 4, 5, 6, 7...I can't stop laughing. (I'm going to buy season 8 on amazon right now...hallucinogenic chili peppers FTW :up: )

I don't know...I probably never will stop, but sometimes it's tempting to stop the ritual and move on, especially when the episodes are mediocre each week, as they often are.

So, is there anyone else here that still tries to catch the new episodes each week?

i, too, started watching the simpsons since i was 5
:reject:...and it lasted till i was 17...they got too unbearably funny, but i'll still go into hysteria when i watch the old seasons on dvd.
now and then i'll watch the last 10-15 minutes of a new episode ..probably for pure nostalgia,
but i personally think they have really sucked for the last couple years, but well ..at least they were funny for a long time.

I stopped watching TV regularly (save for live sport like yesterday's Daytona 500 or NHL games) about two years ago when I went off to university.

Any shows worth watching I will download.

I've currently gone through 7 seasons of Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek: DS9, and a couple seasons of Grey's Anatomy and Ugly Betty.

The ability to watch a season all the way through on demand is a huge + for me. I tend to prefer shows with long story arcs as opposed to serialized dramas. I'll probably go back and watch all the Simpsons seasons this summer.

LemonMelon said:
I am one of the biggest Simpsons fans you'll ever meet. I have been watching the show since I was 5 and haven't stopped, even when the show was unbearably bad from about 2000 to 2003. I still watch the new episodes, but I just record them and watch them later. I still LOL on occasion, but damn, they have nothing on the classics...some of those classic episodes from season 4, 5, 6, 7...I can't stop laughing. (I'm going to buy season 8 on amazon right now...hallucinogenic chili peppers FTW :up: )

I don't know...I probably never will stop, but sometimes it's tempting to stop the ritual and move on, especially when the episodes are mediocre each week, as they often are.

So, is there anyone else here that still tries to catch the new episodes each week?

I will go up to season 9 (only becasue it has the U2 episode) but I will not purposely watch anything new because they suck...:tsk:

It's a shame really but they should have quit while they were ahead. Remember when the rumor went around that the show was ending and the up-roar that caused? Who really wanted this to continue? Let it die already...

I still watch them every week.

And I catch the three reruns Fox shows here during the rest of the week. Saturday is a Simpsons day off. :wink:

I can't wait to see the movie. :up:

Canadiens1160 said:
I stopped watching TV regularly (save for live sport like yesterday's Daytona 500 or NHL games) about two years ago when I went off to university.

Any shows worth watching I will download.

I've currently gone through 7 seasons of Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek: DS9, and a couple seasons of Grey's Anatomy and Ugly Betty.

The ability to watch a season all the way through on demand is a huge + for me. I tend to prefer shows with long story arcs as opposed to serialized dramas. I'll probably go back and watch all the Simpsons seasons this summer.

You'd probably like the new Battlestar Galactica. I've been burning through DVDs too.

But yeah, I haven't watched a new Simpsons episode in a long time. I'm more excited for the new Futurama on Comedy Central anyways, that show never faltered.

I haven't been watching it regularly anymore, but I caught a rerun of a recent episode and a new one last night, and they were pretty funny.

I'll admit to wanting to go see the movie, too.

Just isn't funny anymore. Maybe they ran out of old movies to quote/paraody.

After season 9, everything went down hill. It almost seems like they are just trying to find the hip/new thing and put them on.

You can tell the writers have changed, because in the "good years", we'd have former Beatles, Stones, etc. Classic bands and/or actors. Now we get the latest American Idol.

I hope the movie doesn't suck as bad as the last few years.

I still watch. I remember when it first came on...my brother and I were allowed to stay up the half an hour past bedtime to watch it.

It isn't what is use to be, but it is still better then most of the crap on TV these days. :up:

Well I guess this kind of seems logical. It's a great example of life imitating art.

Real Kwik-E-Marts? Woo-Hoo!

7-Eleven may convert some stores to coincide with 'Simpsons Movie'

BY JEFFREY KELLEY
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Mar 23, 2007

It appears as though the world's largest convenience store will get Simpsonized, though 7-Eleven Inc. said the deal isn't done yet.

But at a company event yesterday in Richmond, officials showcased their planned promotional ef- forts with major upcoming films, including "The Simpsons Movie."

If all goes as planned, the convenience store chain plans to refit 11 stores across the U.S. -- Richmond is an unlikely choice -- to resemble the front of the Kwik-E-Mart, the convenience store that Homer and other characters frequent in the classic cartoon TV series.

Customers also will be able to buy products inspired by the nearly two-decades-old show, including KrustyO's cereal, Buzz Cola and iced Squishees (the cup says Squishee, but the contents will be Slurpee).

The chain also will use pictures of Simpsons characters to promote 7-Eleven's line of fresh foods, such as placing the face of Homer and his classic "Mmmm . . . sandwich" quip on sandwich wrappers.

Details of 7-Eleven's plans were showed to employees in a booth at a company event at the Greater Richmond Convention Center. It was unclear yesterday which 11 stores of the more than 4,700 nationwide would receive a cartoony facelift or sell inventory of the Simpsons-inspired products.

The movie hits theaters July 27

Irvine511 said:
the magic ended after season 8.

kind of sad. at it's peak, it was as good as anything ever got.

Agreed.

I stopped watching right around the bad period you point out, LM--2000-2003. It had become a trend in episodes to have a small plot for the first few minutes that led you into the real plot. However, around 2000-2001, they started having two or three plots before you got to the real plot. It got to be pretty annoying. Then there were a season or two where it seemed like the writers were definitely on drugs.....there were drug references for like a whole season straight.

I think one big reason why the Simpsons lasted for so long is that it reinvented itself. It started out Bart-centric for the first few seasons. Then it made the shift to Homer-centric, which kept the energy going & had more potential than a purely Bart-centric show anyway. However, I think they pretty much ran dry of good ideas a few years ago.

I've seen the teaser trailers and, honestly, they were all boring. I just now watched the full trailer and it gets an "eh." There were definitely some funny bits, but overall it all seems so predictable and done before. It's like watching Austin Powers 2 after seeing the original.

Back
Top Bottom