Does ANYBODY ever buy that stuff in spam emails? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Does ANYBODY ever buy that stuff in spam emails?

I mean the kind of crap that goes to your bulk mail. The "Just4You!" deals, the claims of putting money in your bank account, the dirty stuff, whatever. I don't mean just any of y'all, but anybody .Who does? Why is it there except to clog up your inbox and use as minor jokes? Is anybody making money off that crap?

Old 08-22-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:32 AM
I do, because as a female, the thing I need most in life are penis enhancment drugs.

Seriously, no. I delete without even reading the subject line.

Old 08-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #3
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by ylimeU2
as a female, the thing I need most in life are penis enhancment drugs.
LOL! I get those too, even though my name is not an androgynous name so if anyone was even paying attention they wouldn't waste their time sending penis enlargement crap to a person who doesn't have one! Funny thing is I was complaining about this to a male friend and he said he got the ones for breast enlargement!
Old 08-22-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:32 PM
never
Old 08-22-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

thankfully i switched from AOL to comcast and i haven't gotten any spam since!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2004, 05:00 PM   #6
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:32 AM
The people who buy stuff from spam e-mails are likely the ones who fall for those Nigerian money scams. And hundreds of people fall for those every day, as I have since learned.

It's difficult for me to feel sorry for people who fall for on-line spams and scams, really!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:04 PM   #7
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41
The people who buy stuff from spam e-mails are likely the ones who fall for those Nigerian money scams.
yeah, that's what i was gonna say. people are dumb and believe any shit that pops up in their e-mail. that's why more and more people send those nigerian scams and the spoofed e-mails from banks and paypal asking you to "verify" your credit card #, etc.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:45 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:32 PM
i constantly get letters from lawyers in different countries saying i may be the only heir to someone with my same last name that has left millions of dollars and i should contact them with my bank account info so they can wire the money to me and they only keep 10%!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 02:48 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 06:32 PM
My way around spam- I have two e-mail accounts, one with hotmail that I use for all online stuff like things that require an e-mail address like quizzes, message boards etc and then I have a yahoo address that I use for personal e-mails and so far I have never had any spam in the yahoo account.....spam SUX and I dont know why they would ever bother with me as I dont even own a credit card
Old 08-23-2004, 03:46 AM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

yeah, that's what i was gonna say. people are dumb and believe any shit that pops up in their e-mail. that's why more and more people send those nigerian scams and the spoofed e-mails from banks and paypal asking you to "verify" your credit card #, etc.
Those verification ones can be such fun! Send it to your friends, everyone entering in plenty of fake names and numbers. The cheesier the better! Then they have to sort through piles of phony information...if anyone else on their list has put in their real information, it'll be buried.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:24 AM   #11
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41
The people who buy stuff from spam e-mails are likely the ones who fall for those Nigerian money scams. And hundreds of people fall for those every day, as I have since learned.

It's difficult for me to feel sorry for people who fall for on-line spams and scams, really!
I agree. But take my dad, for instance. Heīs 62 and always focus on the good things in people - on/offline. He hasnīt really understood the concept of "spam" -and that ppl literaly lie in commercials . I mean he bought this enormous workout instrument on TV-shop some weeks ago; the so-called AB-swing, because as he said: "My abs will get a good work out - why would they lie to me". Is that sweet or just plain naive? ... My point is: Maybe itīs the "older generation" who mostly get fooled?
Old 08-23-2004, 01:18 PM   #12
Refugee

no but there are idiots out there who buy shit like that
Old 08-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:32 AM
what a question

off course not
Old 08-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #14
War Child

I have a yahoo account that sorts them out and puts them in a bulk folder but I get about 100 a week so I have to go in and empty them. That's when I see what they say.

Doozer 61, I've never heard of that one, maybe you really are the heir to a missing fortune! Is there any way you can check into it without giving them your account #?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:03 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo

Doozer 61, I've never heard of that one, maybe you really are the heir to a missing fortune! Is there any way you can check into it without giving them your account #?
I was sent this scam about three years ago- its been around for ages, immediately when I read it I realised that it was a scam