Doe Anyone here Like Opera?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I am really starting like it alot. Pavorrati and Andrea Bocellie are great. Who are some other good Opera Singers?? I know there is Placido Domingo also.

Maria Callas
Kathleen Battle
Jessye Norman
Jose Carreras (you know, "the other guy" from The Three Tenors)

I'm not really into opera. For the most part, I'm not a big fan of the big, opera voices. I like Kathleen Battle because her voice has less vibrato than those "big, opera voices."

But I like hearing a nice aria now and again. I can take those voices in small doses. :wink:

I enjoy opera very much. My husband and I were fortunate enough to see the Ring Cycle last fall. Opera Pacific imported the Kirov Opera's staging and cast. It was four nights of operas over six days. We even had dinner breaks! We've seem Carmen, Aida, and a French opera, the name of which escapes me right now.

I've seen a few operas (Puccini is my favorite of the major opera composers) and on the whole it's an enjoyable experience, but like cori, I'm not a fan of the big opera voices that much. That said, I could listen to Nessun Dorma for hours - it's such a beautiful, grand and sweeping piece of music.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VATmgtmR5o4

I love opera. :love:

I've never payed attention to the singers. My favorite opera's come from Germany and Russia. Tristan und Isolde, Salome, Turandot, Khovanshchina and Ca Ira are my favorites.

Opera is one of the most passionate and beautiful examples of humanity's ability to express emotions through art. The pure emotion is unlike any other experience. Opera has always given me the shivers. The duet between music and the human voice is stunning. :drool:

Cool thank you everyone. I will have to go listen to some of this when I get home.

I only just started to get into opera; saw my first one last week actually (Bizet's Carmen). As for operatic voices I always preferred male singers to female; I appreciate soprano a lot more now but it can still get a bit tiring in large doses.

Ha ha! I almost posted that in here earlier today.

Good for that guy. Is he technically perfect? No. So what! He puts his heart and soul in it, and to hell with the freaking opera purists being all snobby and elitists on YouTube or wherever else online they're being all snobby about him.

To me, that's what those "(Insert Country Here)'s Got Talent" shows should be about. Adults with an honest talent and passion, and for whatever reason were not able to pursue it, or just never given the opportunity. Now here's a show where they can get up and do it, and maybe it'll turn into something other than just a dream.

I wish there was more of that instead of 9 year old little girls belting out adult songs and pretending to understand what the hell they're singing about.

(On the one hand, yes, that little girl who won last year is talented ... but on the other hand? Yeesh.)

Ahem. Anyway. Opera. Carry on!

It's incredible to hear what opera singers can do with their voice. They also need to have great acting skills.
I love Anna Netrebko. Not only is she a beautiful, charming lady, but also a great singer and actor.
My favourite male opera singer at the moment is Spanish tenor Rolando Villazón. He's also a very funny guy.
I have seen a lot of operas here in Vienna and also some in the Arena di Verona. From the Verdi operas, I love Nabucco and La Traviata the most. In general, Puccini is my favourite composer. But I also love Carmen.
I listen to opera a lot, not only whole operas, but also duets and arias from various artists.
It also depends on my mood, like classical music in general. Sometimes I spend weeks without listening to any opera or classical stuff, then again I spend some time only listening to that.

0000001773_20060919151259.jpg

That video of that guy is one of the single most moving things I'd xperienced in a long time. I STILL get goose bumps and teary-eyed every time I c it.

My parents listen to opera, so I grew up listening to it. I enjoy Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, Josh Groban, Russell Watson. I've never been to an opera, but if I had the chance, I'd see Carmen and Madame Butterfly.

Zootlesque said:
So is this the british version of american idol? Or I guess more of a talent show.

More of a talent show. There's America's Got Talent, which consists of Sharon Osborne, David Hasselhoff and that Piers guy, who also judges on the British version. It's all kinds of acts, all different ages.

The prize on the British show is to perform in some sort of thing for the Queen, I think? And I think the prize on the American version is $1 million smackers or some outrageous amount.

Last year on the American version, a pre-teen girl won for singing. I heard her once when I happened to tune in, and she was pretty impressive. I didn't catch any of the other acts.

I'm not really keen on the show, but some of the clips of the British version I've seen online are pretty great - Opera Guy, Baton Guy, Michael Jackson Monkey Puppet Guy ...

I like a night at the opera!

My mom listens to it a lot and she tells me about the stories but I don't like it very much.

Sometimes though.

I thought this thread was for Opera the operating system browser. Opera the music or singing is good but i need to hear more

Back
Top Bottom