Doctor Who

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:
I was surprisingly not very impressed with The Idiot's Lantern last week, seeing as how it was written by the same guy who gave us the first truly great New Who episide in The Unquiet Dead. It wasn't bad, mind you, but just not anything fantastic.

I actually really enjoyed that episode. I thought they'd got the timing right for once. I agree with you that most of the one parter episodes could do with that extra 20 minutes as they feel a little rushed but with that episode I felt they'd got the pace spot on. Plus I thought Maureen Lipman was fantastic. :up: Besides any episode that educates people on the correct way to hang a union flag is a winner in my eyes :wink:

On another note- I remember reading somewhere of a fan complaining that the Tardis never goes to other planets anymore, it's always set on Earth. And I think he's got a point. Nearly all episodes of the current series have been set on Earth, even last week's non Earth episode had humans in it!

Today's episode was a real mixed bag. I thought the air vent parts were absolutely brilliant but, ironically, I hated the bits that actually had Doctor Who in it. I just can't stand it when the doctor goes into 'smug git' mode. How long did he spend with his philosophical claptrap this episode? It was even worse than the Christopher Ecceleston speeches and boy did they used to drag on! :rolleyes:

Next week's episode looks great though. Peter Kay AND Shirley Henderson in the same episode?! :hyper:/:drool: doesn't even begin to describe how I feel!! :D

Plus I thought the trailer for that new Steve Coogan show that followed Dr. Who looks great. :lmao:

I really liked the latest two-parter. It owed a rather sizeable debt to ID Software.. ;) Anyway, I think Dr. Who is at its best with these creepy stories spread over a few episodes rather than the goofier stuff. The set and creature design was some of the best of the new Who I thought.

I just hope they bring Mickey back.:cool:

I am very much looking forward to tonight's episode. I can't wait to see Peter Kay as a baddie. :hyper:

I saw a clip of his character on 'Friday Night with Jonathan Ross' last night. It looks very much in keeping with the sense of humour this show has - especially thinking back to some of the aliens that have been on in previous episodes/series.

I missed it because I haven't time to watch it at the moment but I did record it. It sounds like I didn't miss much though.
:(

Was the story a bit rubbish? I heard that the Doctor and Rose weren't in it much, but it looked like it had some good actors in the episode - the woman who plays Moaning Mertle in Harry Potter and that guy who's been in loads of BBC shows with the blond hair (can't remember his name - Mark something??)

Last edited:
I've heard REALLY bad things about this ep, and I'm really afraid of watching my download tonight. As Tilli said, the Doc & Rose are in it very little supposedly, and it's through the viewpoint of the innocent bystanders.

I don't mind Russell T. Davies trying new things, like greater emotional content and subtle season-long story threads like Bad Wolf and Torchwood, but this kind of gimmicky crap is dangerous for the show. You have a great pair of lead actors, use them! That's why people watch the damned show.

It's okay, though, the next episode is Fear Her, and while I know nothing about it I love the title, and then there's the two-part season finale. Can't wait.

I'm still in shock that they managed to assemble a cast of such great character actors (all of them were recognisable from somewhere on British TV/film) and have them act out such dross. It was such a waste of a fantastic opportunity. :(

Wow, that really was the worst Who episode I've ever seen.

Absolutely terrible.

Russell T. Davies may have rescued DW from oblivion, but he's got to be the worst writer on the staff. All the poorest new episodes (Aliens of London/World War 3, The Long Game, Rose, New Earth, Love and Monsters) have been written by him.

I hope this year's finale is the exception to the rule that last year's was (which wasn't perfect by any means).

lazarus said:
Wow, that really was the worst Who episode I've ever seen.

Though last week's Olympic episode is a close runner-up. It was WAY too sentimental (The Olympic touch being "A beacon of love and hope"?!!). It was too cack-handed with regards looking forward to this Saturday's episode ("There's a storm brewing"... talk about unsubtle!). It was yet ANOTHER episode where nothing was explained properly, just rushed through and blurted out by the Dr. in 0.05 seconds. Plus there were continuity errors (Where did Rose get the axe from to smash down the door...surely she'd leave it outside on the road, not bring it into the house with her!) and plot holes (If the stadium had been emptied of athletes and the crowd, would they really keep the touch coming and would Huw Edwards really keep talking as though nothing had happened?!). This episode also offered conclusive proof that Huw Edwards (Bless him) cannot act.

BUT there were some good points. I thought the child actress was brilliant and it's nice to see that the actress who plays 'Old Woman' in EVERY British TV show can still find work :wink:

Wow. What can I say? I like moaning! ;)

Question about Saturday's episode- Is Torchwood staffed entirely by ex-Eastenders stars or what?! :wink:

Quite liked the olympic episode.........had a few very, very funny moments and was also quite creepy, which is really what I expect from the Doctor at his best. :wink:

Agreed that "Love and Monsters" was a pile. Interesting concept for an episode, but poorly executed. Agreed that Davies needs to put down the pen.

Finale looks feckin' brilliant!

WOW!!! :ohmy: Those last two episodes were amazing! :bow: :applaud:

I ended up missing the 4 episodes before that so that's why i haven't commented in here for a while :reject:

S**t, I missed the last episode!:(

I was watching a Shakespeare play (A Midsummer Night's Dream) at an open air theatre however.:nerd:

I watched the last episode and it seemed great but because I'd missed the first part the week before (I was at the cinema with friends, er, I mean, I was at the opera with friends :whistle: ;) ) I was a bit lost at times as to what was going on.

Just resurrecting this thread to say that I thought this year's Christmas special was great and so much better than last year's!

^makes a change:wink:

Tennant:drool:

Some of the clips at the end for the new series looked quite cool.

UberBeaver said:
How's Torchwood?

Supposed to be the 'Adult' Doctor Who; it was exactly the same but without the humour and with more blood. It wasn't terrible but I didn't think it was that brilliant either.

Sarah Jane's Adventures however (which is the children's version of Doctor Who) I thought was great! How Doctor Who ought to be. (This probably says a lot about me as a person... :wink: )

TheQuiet1 said:

Supposed to be the 'Adult' Doctor Who; it was exactly the same but without the humour and with more blood. It wasn't terrible but I didn't think it was that brilliant either.

Sarah Jane's Adventures however (which is the children's version of Doctor Who) I thought was great! How Doctor Who ought to be. (This probably says a lot about me as a person... :wink: )

She got her own show? Nice.

I'd like to check these out sometime.

I haven't even watched the Xmas episode yet :ohmy: i have it on tape - must watch soon :wink:

OMG Dr Who xmas was wonderful David Tennant is so :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: but anyway... he is a brilliant actor and well :drool: *gets off floor* The xmas special was great but i got so sad because rose wasnt there :(

Way too corny of an x-mas special. Sorry, I'd go with the previous one. The season three preview at the end had me worried, but I'm confident it'll at least be merely good. I'll miss Rose. :(

Back
Top Bottom