Doctor Leaves Surgery Patient To Visit Bank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
:eyebrow: :shocked: :tsk:

Doctor Leaves Surgery Patient to Visit Bank
Thu Aug 8,10:58 AM ET

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (Reuters) - A Massachusetts doctor has been suspended for leaving a patient on the operating table midway through spinal surgery so he could deposit a check at his local bank, authorities said on Thursday.

The state board of medicine said David Arndt, an orthopedic surgeon, posed "an immediate threat to the public health, safety and welfare" after he left the patient last month with an open incision in his back.

Arndt left behind a surgeon who was not qualified to complete the surgery, according to board documents. After his 35-minute trip to the bank, Arndt returned to the operating room and finished the surgery within a few hours.

The patient, who was anesthetized during the procedure to restabilize his spine, apparently did not suffer any harm from Arndt's absence and was able to recover in the intensive care unit of Mount Auburn Hospital.

The board on Wednesday suspended Arndt's license to practice medicine in Massachusetts, but he will have a chance to appeal the decision.

According to a board investigator, Arndt acknowledged he had "exercised remarkably horrible judgement."

Arndt explained to the investigator he had been waiting for his paycheck because he had to pay some overdue bills, and had been hoping to finish the surgery before his bank closed for the day.

The procedure took longer than he expected, however, and Arndt decided to make a break for the bank midway through surgery.

Arndt, a graduate of Harvard Medical School , was not available for comment on his suspension.

I saw this in the Herald this morning...and methinks there's more than meets the eye with the Doc if he's running out on surgery tocash a check. I doubt its overdue bills, but more like an angry bookmaker, drug dealer or loan shark.
Doubt he'll be doing any more surgery anyway now, so anyone needing a spine fusion should feel safe.

Didn't he ever hear of friends who could do him some favors, like "Hey, can you run to the bank for me?????:ohmy: :slant:

here's what I think should be done:

take the doctor, tie him to a tree. then, cut open his leg so he's bleeding. then, put fresh meat all around him and let loose about 10 or 12 hungry lions.
then say "I'll be right back to put the lions back in their cage....I just gotta run to the bank."

:mad: :madspit: :macdevil: :dance:

Gina Marie said:

Arndt, a graduate of Harvard Medical School , was not available for comment on his suspension.

Well, this makes me feel mildly ashamed/amused/something or other.

:shocked: How stupid is this doctor? He had to have known that his dumb ass was going to get caught! You don't leave an operation for a check! Get direct deposit!:D :D:yes: :yes:

Back
Top Bottom