Do you watch stuff from your computer on your TV? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Do you watch videos or games (computer content) on your TV? Check all that apply.
I dont do this, and dont have an interest to. 34 33.66%
I dont do this, but I'd love to if it was easy enough. 30 29.70%
I do this already, but it's time consuming and a pain in the arse. 5 4.95%
I do this already, I'm a full on geek.. and it's second nature to me. 9 8.91%
I don't watch 'computer content' on my TV, but I'll sit in front of my monitor for hours to watch the stuff. 20 19.80%
I burn video files to CD/DVD to watch on my TV. 22 21.78%
I watch 'computer content' on my TV through a dedicated PC, running Windows Media Center or something similar. 3 2.97%
I watch 'computer content' on my TV by running a long cable from my computer to my TV. It's a mess, but it works! 2 1.98%
I own a 'Windows Media Center Extender'. 0 0%
I own a 'Sling Box'. 0 0%
I watch 'computer content' stored on my home network from other places over the Internet. 2 1.98%
I watch 'computer content' on portable devices such as an iPod (video), Portable Media Center, etc. 7 6.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 04:20 AM
The only time I do this is to watch videos on another persons TV. Burning videos to DVD is time consuming and a pain. It's quicker just to hook the S-Video cable and audio cable into my laptop, and throw on Windows Media Player.

However for me, I do not own a TV. I have a 19" LCD for my desktop that has a TV tuner, and I can play all my multimedia content on that and its as good as if not better than having a dedicated TV. Then my laptop has a 15" widescreen, and I use an external USB TV tuner with it to save space.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:45 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I'm a promotions producer, so lots of stuff that start on my computer end up on TV.

Now whether or not the public embraces any of this technology, I believe, will have to do with how "natural" it feels. People don't like sitting on a hard chair in front of a computer monitor for long periods of time. They will also grow tired of looking at a tiny iPod / PSP screen too, so I think any technology will have to build into the ease and comfort of watching plain-old television.

Melon
didn´t know you do promos.

I think everyone in the entertainment world needs to realize that the 21st century is about being (inter)active. The public slowly moves from the idea of sitting in front of a screen for hours doing nothing except of watching. The public wants to partake, to communicate. Cable TV loses market share because people are seriously bored.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
didn´t know you do promos.
I create excessively flashy promotions for a middle-market local station. But that's only because I get bored and am only doing this with the hope I can go somewhere better someday. It's better than having a college degree to fetch coffee.

Quote:
I think everyone in the entertainment world needs to realize that the 21st century is about being (inter)active. The public slowly moves from the idea of sitting in front of a screen for hours doing nothing except of watching. The public wants to partake, to communicate. Cable TV loses market share because people are seriously bored.
Honestly, people want nothing to do with advertising. So forcing people to "interact" with their advertising would likely anger people. Salon.com's "ultramercial" is angering enough for a lot of people. Secondly, we already had an experiment with FMVs back in the 1990s. Primitive technology aside, the most common response from audiences was that it felt like a "boring video game." That is, generally speaking, if people want interactivity, they go to video games (and a video game geek I am). If people want to be a passive audience, they go to television.

I would say, however, that the biggest challenge facing television is the industry itself. There's a lot of strange personalities in this industry, and executives often make it their life's work to trash everything that reaches their desk. And pretty much all hiring is what I call "incestuous": they only hire people that they know and like, so the same personalities hire the same kind of people over and over.

I do have some long-term ideas for addressing some of these problems, but I'm keeping them to myself right now. I don't want someone else taking the idea.

Melon
Old 01-09-2006, 07:48 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 09:20 AM
I got a crap PC monitor so I often burn to DVD and watch on my TV. Looking forward to buying a multi-media centre soon!
Old 01-13-2006, 04:01 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I would most likely watch more from my computer on tv if learning the technology didn't require some sort of IT expertise or computer science degree. Ultimately it depends on how easy it is
to incorporate in with one's compute/tv system and of course the financial aspect of it. whatever it is he's working on??

Technology is moving so fast that it's really difficult for the average joe (myself included) to keep up with.
anyway just my thoughts on the matter..

Hell my computer crashed last week and I have no idea if I can retrieve any of the files or do anything to fix it.
I'm back on my old dinosaur that can barely handle the isp software.. ugh.. life sucks sometimes.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:49 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i have xbox 360 and that comes with windows media center. i dont use it though.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:56 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

*vote*
Old 01-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:20 AM
I'd love to if I could figure it out. I'm a machine klutz.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 04:20 AM
i do this already... burn dvds i download off torrents, make my own dvds, or put cds with mp3s, mpeg video files or jpeg picture files in my dvd player of stuff i saved through the years... i love technology! i have yet to make picture dvd's or mp3 dvds, its amazing what you can do these days... eventually i want a media center in my living room after i get a hdtv projector capable of 60 inches or moe.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:16 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by jesseu2
i love technology! i have yet to make picture dvd's or mp3 dvds, its amazing what you can do these days... eventually i want a media center in my living room after i get a hdtv projector capable of 60 inches or moe.

Hope I can do it in my mental lifetime..
Old 01-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I don't usually bother, mostly because I don't download a lot of video content - I hate watching it on the laptop. Hate sitting there all stiff.

Besides, I have a most lovely widescreen, high-end LCD HDTV, beats out the monitor every day of the week and twice on sunday.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:20 AM
I work for a film company and this all interests me greatly. The fact is you are all going to be doing it one day in the not too distant future. How that transition occurs, how it is distributed and by who etc are the only real questions.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:26 AM   #28
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Well, my vote may not initially make sense, so I'm going to explain it. I selected:

* I do this already, but it's time consuming and a pain in the arse.
* I don't watch 'computer content' on my TV, but I'll sit in front of my monitor for hours to watch the stuff.
* I burn video files to CD/DVD to watch on my TV.

Essentially, I used to burn stuff frequently to DVD so I could watch it on TV, but I found it to be a pain in the arse, so now I only burn when I have to (in order to create more hard drive space). I've come to prefer to watch things on my computer anyhow, so I'll sit here for hours.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog