Do you still have your appendix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is your appendix still in your body?

• Yep.

Votes: 54 79.4%
  • Nope.

Votes: 14 20.6%

• Total voters
Merc said:
Nope, it's gone...

It was removed in the year of '87 when i was 5 years old... They thought it was sick, so they removed it... but it turned out I just had pheumonia and there was nothing wrong with my appendix! :shrug:

That's awful! Unecessary surgery on a child! They should have made sure first! In America that would be a lawsuit, with a pretty big payoff.

U2Kitten said:
That's awful! Unecessary surgery on a child! They should have made sure first!

Well, my parents tell my that every single childrens doctor in the hospital checked me, and they where all sure it was wrong with the appendix, so... :shrug:
I'm sure they did the best they could and well, it's gone now so I don't have to worry about that part of me getting sick! :)

U2Kitten said:
In America that would be a lawsuit, with a pretty big payoff.

Heh, I'm sure you're right :D ...but on one hand I'm kinda glad our system doesn't work that way...

I knew a girl when I was little who kept her tonsils in a jar and showed them to everyone who came over :no:

I still have mine. But i do happen to be missing some muscle off of my left bicep do to a dog bite back in 85.

Nope, mine's gone. When I was 10, I was sledding down a huge hill by my house (actually, we were on a street that was iced over - Georgia rarely gets GOOD snow!). I hit a bump and rollllllled down the hill and wrapped myself around a mailbox pole. I kept having stomach pains and I told my parents and my doctor "It's my appendix! It's my appendix!" They were like "What do you know - you're just a kid! Nobody ten years old even knows what an appendix is!!"

Well, it ruptured, nearly killing me. I spent a couple of weeks in the hospital with two drainage tubes in me, one going up to my chest, one going throughout my abdomen. They pulled them out an inch at a time, twice a day, and kept my guts wrapped up in a girdle (no lie, that's exactly what it was!) The end result is that I was scarred from my skin right down to my intestines and had troublesome pains for many many years afterwards. Now the scar looks like someone stuck a sword in my side.

So really, better safe than sorry on having an appendix removed. They are not entirely useless, but, like tonsils, are really more trouble than they are worth (seeing as how they are more susceptible to infection than the rest of the body).

Alright, I'll quite rambling now...

goat

deep said:
but do you still have it?

They generally incinerate them, as there are a number of ethical questions regarding human tissue.

You lose an organ and it's sometimes autopsied, then incinerated. Usually, it's just incinerated. And sometimes, it goes to the good people in medical research (I get human tonsils and thymuses, for example) and they use it, then discard it as a biohazard.

martha said:

:hmm: Maybe that isn't the wedding cake in the back of the freezer.
:lmao: watch out for snack attacks then. My husband ate the precious sugar frangipanis I had saved from my wedding cake:sad: :laugh:
I have all my internal squishy organ bits although one of these days I really am gonna cough up a lung.
My daughter-in-law has to have her appendix out asap. She's been on a waiting list for ages , so it MUST be soon.
I did have my wisdom teeth out under gruesome circumstances...but survived the ordeal, older and "wiser".
My son had to have a back molar removed on Tuesday. He was told he has a robust jaw and long curly wurly roots. It was the young dentists very first day of work and he got the honour of doing the surgery after hours. He couldn't get all the pieces out and had to get one of the older, stronger more experienced dentists to help him. A "first day on the job" he'll long remember.

For a girl who goes all ewwwwwwwwwy when operations come on TV...I quite enjoy talking and hearing about them :hmmm:
nurse...scalpel
:D

Back
Top Bottom