Do you respect today's celebrites??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AchtungBono

Refugee
At one time I really had respect for celebrities because they were WORTH respecting.

Today, all you see are "stars" who are famous for just being famous - like Anna Nicole Smith, Paris Hilton (although she does a lot of charity work), Nicole Richie, Shannon Doherty, etc. I can't respect people who have a "look at me" attitude.

I also can't respect celebrities who get caught time and again doing the same rotten things - like Art Garfunkel who was busted THREE times for Marijuana posession, or Charlie Sheen who's alleged to have abused his wife, or Robert Downey Jr. who's in and out of rehab, or "Brangelina" (ugh...) who publicly flaunted their affair and their child born out of wedlock.

These people have risen to the heights of stardom because of the people who have gone to see their movies and to buy their records. They seem to take their stardom for granted and allow themselves to live however they want to without a care about how bad an example they are setting.

Like the saying says: you can't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes, but on the other hand - they CHOSE the spotlight and they can't really complain if their private lives are exposed to the public.

What do you think? Do you have any respect for any celebrity out there today?

I'm surprised anyone knows enough about most celebrities to care what they are doing. I mean I quite like Johnny Depp as an actor -- but I know very little about him. There are loads of band's who's music I love, but I can't even connect names to photos and in some cases can't even name all members of the band. What they do when they are not plying their trade doesn't really concern me that much. I guess I just don't really think of celebrities as role models, so I just figure they are allowed flaws just like everyone else. But I'm not really going to pay them much attention. :shrug:

I respect some of them, some of them I don't. I would imagine it's tough for even the best human being to manage to remain that way if they become a celebrity. That is what I have the most respect for-those who manage to do that.

I respect the same qualities in celebrities that I do in non-famous people-humility, kindness and decency, good moral character, honesty, integrity, self-awareness.

I also respect celebrities who are in it for real love of what they do and not just to become famous and fabulously wealthy, and who maintain their artistic integrity.

Celebrities were never really worth idolizing in the first place. Hollywood just used to be zealous about hiding all of the personal lives of their celebrities and building up fantasies about how "moral" they were.

But that's all it was: a fantasy. Today, they just don't have PR teams creating sham marriages for their gay actors or covering up the fact that some of them had affairs. One rare exception was how Ingrid Bergman took a lot of furor in the U.S. over the fact that she openly had an affair with Italian director, Roberto Rossellini, and divorced her husband in 1950. She certainly wouldn't have been alone amongst celebrities of her time, though.

Melon

People look up to and idolize celebrities because there's not many other public figures worth looking up to. Politicians? Religious leaders? Not so much these days. You have to look a little harder to find someone who stands up to someone's high standards.

What's despicable in some eyes is not such a big deal for others. For instance, I don't think Art Garfunkel smoking pot is that big a deal.

I respect some celebrities, but not others. I respect some politicians, but not others. People just want someone to look up to.

Celebrities are people, with just "cooler" jobs.

And just like all other people some are to be respected and some aren't.

:|

AchtungBono said:

What do you think? Do you have any respect for any celebrity out there today?

Well, uh, are we not posting on a board that exists for the purpose of talking about a certain celebrity band that we admire and respect?

And if smoking marijuana, having a child out of wedlock (paging Edge and Larry...), or having an addiction (which, in most cases, is a disease) and trying to overcome it makes you lose respect for a celebrity, you can be sure that you probably have little respect for most non-celebrities, too.

Re: Re: Do you respect today's celebrites??

Lemonfix said:

Well, uh, are we not posting on a board that exists for the purpose of talking about a certain celebrity band that we admire and respect?

And if smoking marijuana, having a child out of wedlock (paging Edge and Larry...), or having an addiction (which, in most cases, is a disease) and trying to overcome it makes you lose respect for a celebrity, you can be sure that you probably have little respect for most non-celebrities, too.

:up:

MrsSpringsteen said:
I respect some of them, some of them I don't. I would imagine it's tough for even the best human being to manage to remain that way if they become a celebrity. That is what I have the most respect for-those who manage to do that.

I respect the same qualities in celebrities that I do in non-famous people-humility, kindness and decency, good moral character, honesty, integrity, self-awareness.

I also respect celebrities who are in it for real love of what they do and not just to become famous and fabulously wealthy, and who maintain their artistic integrity.

:up: totally agree. I judge celebrities pretty much the same way I'd judge anyone else :shrug: I respect celebrities that use their fame for good.

Back
Top Bottom