Do you own/have you heard a perfect album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I've heard anything "perfect", but albums that don't have a meh song are pretty hard to find.

Here's stuff where I like EVERYTHING on it more than a little, even if some tracks aren't perfect:

Sugar, Copper Blue
Pixies, Doolittle
U2, Achtung Baby
U2, Zooropa
Pavement, Terror Twilight
Steely Dan, Countdown to Ecstasy
Steely Dan, Aja
Phoenix, Alphabetical
Phoenix, It's Never Been Like That
New Order, Brotherhood

The Queen is Dead is the definitive perfect album to me. It's not my favorite Smiths album (Strangeways has sentimental value) but track for track it's just plain perfect.

Other "Sweet Boneless Christ this is the best thing ever" albums:
The Magnetic Fields - Holiday
Magazine - Secondhand Daylight
Magazine - Real Life
Morrissey - Vauxhall and I
David Bowie - Low
Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets
Brian Eno - Another Green World
T. Rex - Electric Warrior

:drool:

Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers, Blood on the Tracks, Achtung, J. Tree, OkC, Appetite, Born to Run, Ten, Beggar's Banquet, Is This It, Pop....

But that's more a list of my favorite albums ...however they are close to "perfect" in my mind I guess.

Irishteen said:
Don't think so, if you exclude flow and atmosphere and all that my ratings would be (Pitchfork style) for some of my favourite albums would be

Funeral - 9.4
Urban Hymns - 9.1

Yep, those two are pretty close to perfect in my opinion too! :)

To me an album is perfect if changing a note would feel like sacrilege. Here's my list:

U2 - The Joshua Tree
U2 - Achtung Baby
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town

Irishteen said:

I really can't agree with this, I think it has some of the band's weakest singles on it

It's a compilation of some of their best singles and b-sides, I couldn't disagree with you more. When it hit North America it was massive for Smiths fans. Couple it with Hatful of Hollow and it's the perfect companion, imo.

gvox said:

It's a compilation of some of their best singles and b-sides, I couldn't disagree with you more. When it hit North America it was massive for Smiths fans. Couple it with Hatful of Hollow and it's the perfect companion, imo.
Louder Than Bombs would be better if it didn't have duplicate versions of some songs on it.

Girl Afraid, William it Was Really Nothing, This Night Has Opened My Eyes, the single version of Hand In Glove, ect... are all also on Hatful.
Redeemed by different version of 'These Things Take Time' and 'Back to the Old House,' though, I suppose.
Smiths compilations always have to have something wrong, never fault of the songs, but always fault of the tracklist! It's a sin that 'Wonderful Woman' hasn't made it onto ANY friggin compilation! I think I may just be irritable. :/

A "compilation" really can't be considered an "album" anyways, so it shouldn't even be listed.

:wink:

Here my choices, (pleasure from start to end ):

U2 - Achtung Baby
U2 - Joshua Tree
U2 - Unforgettable Fire
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Steely Dan - Aja
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Beatles - Abbey Road
The Who - Tommy

Not to mention that it's a bit of a stretch to call something with that many tracks "perfect".

Also, New Order's Substance is a compilation of singles as well, though I'd argue it's more "perfect" than Louder than Bombs.

COBL_04 said:
What I'm talking about here is an album that you cannot fault. An album that is a joy to listen to every time you throw it on. An album on which you rate every track a 5/5, 10/10, 5 stars, A+, whatever.

Cos I am yet to find one. The closest I have come so far is Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, which I rate:
Shine on You Crazy Diamond parts I - V 10
Welcome to the Machine 8
Have a Cigar 9
wish you Were Here 10
Shine on You Crazy Diamond parts VI - IX 10

So is there an perfect album for you? If there isn't list what comes closest. I'd like to see what people think :)

U2/AB :D

I don´t think other artist/band have made a CD that I can call perfect (for my taste)

The Cure's Staring At the Sea is the most perfect compilation to my ears:

TRACKLISTING
1. Killing an Arab
2. 10:15 Saturday Night
3. Boys Don't Cry
4. Jumping Someone Else's Train
5. Forest
6. Play for Today
7. Primary
8. Other Voices
9. Charlotte Sometimes
10. Hanging Garden
11. Let's Go to Bed
12. Walk
13. Lovecats
14. Caterpillar
15. In Between Days
16. Close to Me
17. Night Like This

i'm sure i said it a few years ago when one of these threads popped up, but i'll say it again...sinners & saints the sky is falling is a perfect album from start to finish.

Oh, forgot one from the old school.

Metallica's Master of Puppets doesn't have an ill note on it. That may be the most "perfect" I could come up with, as crazy as that sounds.

Ya see, I wanted to say 'Achtung Baby' - but 'Who's Gonna Rid Your Wild Horses' keeps holding me back. But you know what? Fuck it. More 'AB' love here. I never skip 'Who's'... so I guess it makes the cut.

I don't know
I don't think that the perfect album is necessarily filled with perfect songs (Pet Sounds) or perfectly executed songs (Aja)

Brian Wilson's Smile is perfect to me
John Coltrane's A love supreme
Frank Zappa's One size fits all

I listened to Fleetwood Mac's Tango in the Night album today
and it has the most perfect guitar playing on it

Back
Top Bottom