Do you NOT watch TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I'm really only interested in hearing replies, if any, from people who DO NOT WATCH TV (or much of it).

If you don't watch tv... or rarely watch it... I'm curious to find out why not? and how little you watch? also.. what you do watch when you watch? (lol)

I'm curious because... for the last 8-10 years I have watched little to NO television. My reasons are simple....

a) its mostly a waste of time
b) the news is depressing
c) its mostly a waste of time
d) the quality of most television is pathetic
e) its mostly a waste of time
f) i'd rather be doing something more productive
g) its mostly a waste of time

etc etc...

Elvis baby...I am just about to throw my #$&%*@+@&* TV out the window. Or at least cancel the cable which means no TV.

I am sick to death of it.

I hardly watch it at all anymore and when I turn it on I am disgusted.

The only reason I still have it at all is due to a slight obsession with "Six Feet Under" on HBO.

The rest is garbage.

I pretty much just read all the time now. And talk to people. And have a life.

hi elvis.

i watched seinfeld religously. i think i saw virtually every episode as it aired the first time. that show ended, i began university and saw it more as a waste of time.

there are presently no shows on tv i find interesting enough to watch regularly if at all.
i read the news extensively rather than watching.
i am simply to busy.

television, for me, just seemed like a waste of time.
this realization came after i had bought a new...tv:)
which is great for watching dvds.

I have a few shows I like to watch...mostly Friends, ER, The West Wing and Six Feet Under (which just started showing last week here) and I have a mini-obsession with Big Brother right now, which is totally out-of-character for me. Other than that, I only ever watch TV for news/current events programs...most of the other 'entertainment' is just so unamusing and repetitive that I'm sick of it after about five minutes, which would be why I don't watch much. As for how much TV I do watch, other than the news - I'd say about two/three hours a week.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
I have a few shows I like to watch...mostly Friends, ER, The West Wing and Six Feet Under (which just started showing last week here) and I have a mini-obsession with Big Brother right now, which is totally out-of-character for me. Other than that, I only ever watch TV for news/current events programs...most of the other 'entertainment' is just so unamusing and repetitive that I'm sick of it after about five minutes, which would be why I don't watch much. As for how much TV I do watch, other than the news - I'd say about two/three hours a week.

Sorry Fizz.... you dont qualify. ;)

Next....!

Elvis said:

Sorry Fizz.... you dont qualify. ;)

Next....!

:::Having been rejected from the No-TV-Club, Fizz decides to instead become a fulltime couch potato:::

:::grabs Pringles, ice-cream and remote control:::

(when I'm twenty-pounds heavier and cross-eyed from watching too much tv...I'll remember this and hold Interference personally responsible :tongue:)

Just kidding ;)

I don't watch TV at all(except for anything u2-related). It's a waste of time for me, it really doesn't interest me anymore as much as it used to...and also my main reason: my daughter. I don't want her to watch what's on there. She gets away with it at times (cuz of my mom babysitting), but I'd rather she didnt watch tv at all. That's my reason. I'm anal when it comes to her watching tv cuz of what's on there. And all this crap that The Simpsons is an ok show for kids to watch...I don't buy it.

About the only thing I watch on TV these days is movies on cable (if I can find a good one), plus any U2-related stuff, such as the Elevation Boston show. I don't have a single TV series I follow on a regular basis anymore. I used to be an X-Files addict, but I quit watching that show about two years ago because it just went down the toilet quality-wise. I guess even if it hadn't I'd be out of luck now, since they just had the series finale (I didn't even watch that). Just about everything on TV nowadays is utter crap or is OK but not compelling enough to keep me interested. I will never understand people who will sit and watch something stupid and justify it by saying, "Oh, well, there's nothing else on." Grrrr, that irritates me. If I can't find anything I like on TV I pick up a book, dig something out of my video collection or get on the Internet. Life is too short to waste time watching crappy TV.

Last edited:
oh tut tut little hiawatha

I enjoy television. I don't sit around and watch it as a hobby, tho.

I have TiVo, so I can watch whatever whenever, and take as long as I want to do it. :)

I usually watch TV in the evening when I'm eating, but besides that, I probably average about two hours per week. This would be different if the music channels actually played music (no M2). But outside of an occasional movie, sports event, or the Weather Channel, I don't watch it. The exception is the college football season.

agentorange said:
But outside of an occasional movie, sports event, or the Weather Channel, I don't watch it.

Woo hoo! Another Weather Channel watcher! I love the Weather Channel! :laugh:

I really don't watch as much tv as I used to. Like everyone has said, there's not much on lately. I usually have the tv on in the background all the time. I like Star Trek, and a few other shows, like Buffy and Angel, but even the new Star Trek I don't like as much.

I don't know if it really classifies as *watching* tv, but most of the time I'll have the tv turned on in the background while I'm on the computer...usually I'll watch The Weather Channel, CNN, Home and Garden TV, or old re-runs on Nick at Night, old Star Trek re-runs, The Learning Channel, PBS....and I also LOVE the Discovery Channel, and the occassional movie on cable (if it's not one they've showed a hundred times already). And of course I watch anything U2 related.

Other than that, I agree, the quality of shows has gone down hill. I used to have at least 3 or 4 shows I looked forward to watching each week. Now even the shows I like, it doesn't matter if I get to watch them or not.

i seldom do...but i'm always on the computer...hmmm...i just watch dvds and stuff...tv seems to give the impression that i'm supposed to be a brainless slut who wears practically nothing and screws every breathing thing with a penis...i'm not interested, thank you very much...

Salome said:
the quality of most tv shows makes me cry

I can only imagine tv makes u do this

With two jobs I don't have time! The only time I might watch is went I'm at Sicy's place. Hell, I just cancelled my directv for at least three months because this last month I must've watched it for a total of an hour! waste of money! Rather spend it on something, or rather someone else, like SICY. She's nice to watch! :sexywink:

I dont watch any tv regularly.

If anything its changing rooms, real rooms, big strong boys (BBC DIY show) or the antiques roadshow if I am really bored and flick it on and they are showing. So yeah, channel 21 for me only.

:D

Originally seen in Pulp Fiction:

VINCENT: I don't watch TV.

JULES: Yes, but you're aware that there's an invention called television, and on that invention they show shows?

This thread made me think of this. I laughed, but not out loud.:|

I think I qualify.

TV is a waste of time. The few times I find myself sitting down and watching, I also find that it's addictive and I end up wasting hours that I could have been doing something productive and the stuff I watched wasn't beneficial or enlightening in the least. With the exceptions of some cool specials on PBS and the occasional video (although that's very rare), I generally don't have much use for the telly. It is good for watching U2 videos tho. ;)

This month I have been so swamped with work and summer school that I'm lucky to have time to sleep...no time for TV. I'd rather read a good book for entertainment anyways.

I don't watch prime time TV. It pretty much sucks, and I'd sooner spend my evenings online. I sometimes watch in the afternoon, out of boredom but there's nothing on.

I used to love ER, but I quit watching after Carol left. And I used to be an X-Files addict, but I quit watching after Scully's baby was born. It was just too horrible quality a show. (I did watch the finale out of obligation.) I don't have any shows I am a fan of now.

[color=royal blue]I really don't watch TV as much as I used to. If I do it's like

Simpsons
VH1 / other music channels
if there's a good movie on
Gilmore Girls (I love this show)

aaaaaaaaannnnnddddd........yeah that's it.

I def remember my parents using the "NO TV" thing as punishment when I was younger but.....I don't know when I stopped caring about that!! It's really not a big deal if I watch TV or not. In fact as of now I don't think I've even turned it on since last week.
[/color]

I watch about a one tenth of the TV I did five years ago. When I do, I make sure it's for a specific reason. Although, I must admit, without the TV on, I wouldn't be able to fall asleep as quickly as I do(I rarely ever watch for more than 30 minutes, and I'm out..). After Seinfeld went away, I stopped watching anything regularly. There's just too much other stuff to do!

Back
Top Bottom