Do You Loan Things To People?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
I've always been cool about loaning people things...but I'm starting to get VERY irritated with a "friend" of mine. I loaned him a bunch of CDs over a month ago, and I have yet to get them back. I haven't seen him for about a week, but I've been leaving him messages about them, and he ignores me when he comes online. I'm thinking either:

A. He doesn't want to give them back yet, so he's just ignoring me.

-or-

B. He lost or damaged them and doesn't want to tell me.

It BETTER be A. :| It shouldn't be either of them though. I should have them back. I'm never loaning him anything again. :down:

How about the rest of you? Do you loan any of your stuff to people or do you have a personal policy against it?

I used to loan people stuff but I dont now!!! :no: I got majorly screwed by girl that borrowed my book during a class, then promptly lost it and never gave me any money for it NOR told me that she had lost it :rant:

I will not loan things to people unless they are related to me, or unless I am prepared to never see it again.

I only loan things to one of my oldest friends that I know will take wonderful care of whatever I give her. My brother and sister can borrow whatever they want except for CD's because one would lose them and the other would not give the CD's back to me in the same condition they were when I had them.

FINALLY...I got ahold of him. He's going to give them to somebody else to give to me...but I never see that person either. Here we go...:crack:

Oh well...he left his glasses at my house the last time he was here, so I'll just hold them for ransom. :shifty:

It depends on the friend and the item...

Some friends, I can trust completely and I will get the item back within days. And it will look like the last time I saw it. Others...no way!

My relatives are really bad--I stopped lending them videos because it took them months to return them. (With no good reason, either.) And then they turn all nasty when you get mad. :down: As if it's your fault you want your videos back after 6 months. :uhoh:

AvsGirl41 said:
It depends on the friend and the item...

Some friends, I can trust completely and I will get the item back within days. And it will look like the last time I saw it. Others...no way!

I'm the same way...it depends on the friend and the item.

I loan things to people, but as far as getting things back goes I'm more laid back about some things than others. Books and clothes I'm pretty relaxed about; but if someone borrows a CD from me and doesn't return it for whatever reason or returns it a year later, I simply do not loan them CDs anymore.

i never loan anything to anyone. the only person i'll make exceptions for is my best friend, because she loans stuff to me, and also because i can trust her. she's never once not returned something, and she doesn't get mad if i forget to return something, so i return the favour and don't get mad at her. luckily with her, i can usually just drop by her house and ask for whatever i let her borrow back and she gives it to me without getting mad or anything.

but other than her, no.

yes I do...but funny you should mention it today.
I saw a woman at the gig last night. She and I did a TAFE course together many years ago, I really wanted to help her and loaned her my Sensory Gardening books. At the same time I borrowed some Ba'hai books from the teacher. I mailed them back to the teacher, it only cost $2.50. I couldn't see why the other woman who had my books couldn't have done that. I just couldn't bring myself to say hello to her last night...so I DO have a long memory for some things.
I give things away a lot too...my parents think that is a character flaw, I overheard them talking about it one day. I still don't think it is wrong. One friend said I "attended Sunday School too long"
:lmao:
goes aroung , comes around...imho.

I lend things to people. I'm one of those who forget to give them back :reject: I'm surprised I dont have the reputation as the 'girl who forgets to return things'. People never ask me about it and I feel horrible because I forget who lent me what. Its never CD's or anythnig though, knowing how I am I wouldn't borrow those off anyone.
I'm awful. Truly. So if people have things of mine, I think its great as I probably have something of theirs anyway.
One of my friends came around a few weeks ago laden with books and a sheepish look on her face and says "Here's your books back, I'm reeeeeeeally sorry about having them so long". I just looked at her then the books and said "They're not mine....are they?" Apparently they are.
Rule #1. Don't lend me things.
Rule #2. I forget what that was...

I don't like loaning a lot of my CD's cos I might wanna listen to them...

There are some people I really don't mind lending most things too but there are some people who I wouldn't lend a twig in my garden too! :laugh:

My problem is different -- I don't loan things (generally -- no one's trustworthy enough except my uncle and mom), but everyone leaves their stuff at our apartment so I have to try to remember and give it to them. :der: Pots, fingerboards, blankets, pitchers, raspberry blue KoolAid. :lol:

I loan stuff to friends and family. Although I get slightly edgy about lending books and cds cos I hate people bending up the spines of the books and I hate people cracking my cd cases :mad:
I leant a 'friend' a book a couple of months ago, she's been saying she'll give it back for over a month. Last friday she phoned my to say she'd drop my book in so make sure I was up and awake...so I waited all day and there was no book...then a different friend tells me this 'friend' forget to give it back :| So ok, if my 'friend' is aware enough that she forgot about it to tell my other friend then surely she's aware that she can get off her fat arse, walk down the road and give it back to me :mad: :mad: :mad:
*caaaaaaaalm*

I really should just stop lending people stuff cos it just ends up with me getting like this :mad:

But I do like to introduce people to new stuff so :huh:

I've "loaned" money to a friend (32K+). Later he divorsed his wife (abandoning her with two kids) and disapeared off the face of the earth.

Last edited:
I don't have much that's worth breaking a friendship over if it gets lost or whatnot. I dunno...things just don't seem that important. Or maybe I need nicer things. :huh: So yeah, I loan. In fact, much of the furniture and household items I own are scattered about my friends' apartments because I figured better they get used then sit in storage while I travel. :yes:

sometimes. money is tricky though...several friends have a tab...but really, i'd rather have the friends than the hundred bucks or so.

if it's a cd, i'd rather just burn 'em a copy or a mix with their favorite songs. i'll lend my brother a cd for a listen if he's interested in buying it, or the similar, but other than that, i'm VERY protective of my music.

in 6th grade, a friend named jessica smith borrowed $6 and $5 worth of carnival tickets. she said she'd pay me back, but i went to a different school the next year and never saw her again.

my sister "borrows" my clothes all the time. and by "borrows" i mean "takes without permission." one time she borrowed a dress of mine about 20 times. she had it in her room and i asked if i could have it because i wanted to wear it. her exact words were "no! then people will know i actually borrowed it from YOU!" :| apparently i'm an embarrassment...another time she lent MY white concert shirt to a friend. i had no clue and looked for it for several weeks. when it came time for a choir concert i needed the shirt. once i found out what happened, my mother had to drive half an hour to go get it from the friend's house. i don't let her borrow clothes but eventually i find items of mine in her laundry basket when she comes to my parents' house to do the wash.

I do loan people books, movies and CDs and it's a massive pain in the ass because it takes them forever to return them. If someone lends me something, I try to get it back to them as soon as possible but unfortunately most people aren't like that.

I loan people stuff all the time, including money...then I completely forget...people are usually after me to return things, not the other way around lol :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom