do you listen to music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
OK, I know what you're thinking, silly question. But I've just realised I've never just listened to music. It's always listening to music and doing a report or listening to music and reading or listening to music and surfing the net or something. I always need to do something simultaneously while listening to music, even if it's just travelling.

When I get new albums, I'll sit down and listen to the music while reading the lyrics.

The closest I come is listening while on a long bus or train ride, which is one of the few occasions when I can actually concentrate on the music. I've also done the thing with the lyrics popmofo just mentioned (and it used to frustrate the crap out of me when there were no lyrics in the liner notes), but I find that basically reading anything distracts me from listening. Occasionally I'll listen right before bed and leave something on as I go to sleep, so I guess you could say that was pure listening. But, yeah, in general I need something to occupy part of my brain while I'm listening. And I think I'll end this post before I say "listening" one more time.

I like just listening to music. I don't do it all that much, but I really do dig it. Sometimes when I'm listening to some rad tunes I can't help but dance around a bit, to me that still counts as listening. and when i go to bed, usually i listen to some music.. also when walking home from school i can pretty much just concentrate on the music.

yee-aa=h

SkeeK said:
also when walking home from school i can pretty much just concentrate on the music.

Yeah, I do that a lot too. Sometimes I'll just go on walks to relax and take my headphones and rock out. I usually take my minidisc player to the gym with me too and listen to music while I run. I count that as just listening because I'm not doing any other thinking, just running and listening.

I listen to music. I really listen sometimes, and will just put on a good CD and lay down on the couch.

Also when on the bus, I'll have my walkman on and I'll listen for things in songs you don't usually hear without headphones.

To really appreciate a good CD you need to really give it a good listen with no distractions.

Angel said:
To really appreciate a good CD you need to really give it a good listen with no distractions.

I totally agree. I listen solely to music daily. Usually before I go to sleep I'll put on my headphones and listen for an hour or so (sometimes more if I've got new music), and on my off days I usually try and get out a chair in the middle of the living room and listen to an album on the stereo system. Usually with a glass of wine or something. :D (it helps that my brother just bough some new speakers that are amazing - I'm rediscovering old cds again :))

My preferred method is listening through my good headphones though.

u2popmofo said:
When I get new albums, I'll sit down and listen to the music while reading the lyrics.

That's the exact same thing I often do! Especially with new albums I'd like to read the lyrics, to get a better understanding (and appreciation) of the songs. A recent example is Riot Act by Pearl Jam. I had this album for 2 weeks or so before I really listened to it with the lyric booklet. Until that time I didn't care that much about the album (thought it was pretty average). Since then I understood some songs more and got an appreciation for them.

BTW, I'd also like to listen to music in the weekend in the morning. You know, you wake up, have some breakfast, etc. and then go back to bed while putting on an album. Great relaxation and a great time to listen to music.

Oh, I can also listen to music while driving in my car. OK, I have to concentrate on the road, etc. but there's also enough opportunity to listen to the music.

C ya!

Marty

u2popmofo said:

:up:

I always make qulaity time for the liner notes/lyrics etc...

well yertle, you sure have a treat in store. Try and find/make the time for yourself and some music. Lotsa people here described what I like to do...headphones, comfy chair, dance, sometimes an alcoholic beverage ( special occassions), the first read of the booklet, the pics...I love it!!
I listen to music while I do chores too, but that dedicated pure listen to good music in a state of relaxation is one of life's pleasure's...imho.
At the moment my stereo and speakers are...( how do I say this politely?) not functioning optimally, but still I listen. I'd die without my music.

i usually listen to an album through and read the lyrics (if they're in the cd book) once after getting a new album, too.

i used to spend a lot of time just listening to music. i'd sit in my room and stare at the wall...if i do that now, i'll focus on how bad my computer speakers are. it's not something so easily done at school, with a significantly fast computer sitting there...

before i broke my discman i listened to music everynight before going to sleep, and on the bus.

when i do my radio show sometimes i get to just chill and listen to the song i'm playing through the moniters. that's always cool for a few reasons--it means i'm not rushing to get the next song cued up, things aren't out of order, i'm not going to forget to play necessary public service announcments...and it also means i can pick up things like all the things happening in "drowning man" cos the moniters kick ass

I do both recreational listening and serious listening.

In the recreational department, I used to listen to lots of music on my 20 minute walk to and from school. As an editor, I'm lucky that I can often listen to music all day at work while I edit. I also listen to it in the car to and from work or while I'm cooking, cleaning, piddling around the house, paying bills, etc.

For serious listening, I will bust out the liner notes and lyrics, especially for new albums. I won't let my first listen to an album be distracted--I must be sitting down without interruptions or other stuff to do. Once I get to know the music, I'll just put on albums and sing along. Driving on long trips is a great serious listening experience for me. When you're out in the middle of nowhere, there's plenty of time to think and absorb the music.

I agree with Diemen about the headphones and with HG about driving. Headphones at home and blasting the stereo while driving in my car are my most serious listening-to-music experiences. If I don't enjoy a record under headphones or in the car, it's just not going to ever be a record I listen to very often. It's the true test. I also travel a lot by plane and get some serious listening done there.

For the most part, listening to music is an active experience for me rather than a passive one. In fact, except for when I'm cleaning or entertaining or working out, I prefer silence over "background music." When music is on, it's a distraction to anything else I might need to do because I always end up surrendering to it and putting on the headphones for some serious listening. I can't read with music on, for example. And trying to balance my checkbook with music on is always risky.

joyfulgirl said:
For the most part, listening to music is an active experience for me rather than a passive one. In fact, except for when I'm cleaning or entertaining or working out, I prefer silence over "background music." When music is on, it's a distraction to anything else I might need to do because I always end up surrendering to it and putting on the headphones for some serious listening. I can't read with music on, for example.

Ditto. I could never study with music on, cause I'd always get distracted by it and forget about studying. Thus it was nice being a music major cause I'd have to study a piece of music, so it was nice that way. :)

One thing that has still carried over from my music major days is that I'll pop in a cd of piano works, and I'll sit down with the scores and listen while reading the music. :up:

Back
Top Bottom