Do you like music more than you should?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
I ask myself this question quite a bit. Seriously.

Sometimes I wonder if I like music more than is really healthy. I mean, I buy cd's like it's going out of style. I made a huge road trip last weekend just to see a concert and then come right back home. I spend a good deal of each day listening to music, reading about music, and sometimes even "playing" guitar/singing (more like trying to play guitar and sing).

I seriously just wonder if I really should devote this much of my time and efforts into music. Doesnt seem like it's that good of an idea, unless I somehow want to try to get a job in the music industry (I'm 25 and live in Utah so that's probably not going to happen).

Everyday it seems like I find more and more bands that I want to buy cd's of or go to concerts of. You think my interest would die down more as a get older, but in all actuality I'm getting more and more into it everyday. What will come of this though? One day will I just think to myself, "what a huge waste of time and money that was"?

I dont know, music just really makes me happy right now and I'm really passionate about it. I guess that it's bringing me joy and entertainment, so it's good in that way. I still honestly wonder if I should tone it back quite a bit, it doesnt seem like entertainment should play this big of a role in my life, that cant be healthy.

What do you all think? Similar thoughts/situations? Feelings/ recommendations?

Last edited:
Yeah, sometimes I look at myself and say, whoa, getting a bit out of hand? I spend most of my waking hours listening to music. It can get scary sometimes, lol.

But to me it's like a hobby, something I'm interested in and I like a lot.

Maybe we need to form a support group.

Music is a joyful and meaningful pastime - and not something that you should put a limit on in terms of personal enjoyment. Music enriches your life and elevates your mind. Music matters. :heart: :up:

i know what ya mean. i spend most of my day listening to music. surfing the internet for music ( either d/l or reading up on music related stuff). each of the last 3 years i have planned vacations to toronto specifically around seeing a particular band. the last 2 years i have spent between 800 and 1000 dollars to see a band. ( travel, accomadations, tickets, food, shopping, etc).

but it's my hobby and i'd rather spend my time and hard earned money on stuff i enjoy.

i suppose so. i mean, i certainly don't like tons of bands, but everyone's always astounded to hear of how many cds i have. (keep in mind though that these people's collections don't span further than the top 40 crap.) i'm like a human jukebox, my head's always got some song filled in it. although, i've never really made road trips. i've only gone out of town once for a concert, i flew from memphis to atlanta (it wasn't too expensive and it was my mom's graduation gift to me) to see a concert. other than that though, i've just seen concerts in my town. i've never seen a band more than once, but that's not necessarily my choosing.

I possibly spend too much time paying attention to music.. it consumes me.

popmofo, I hear ya man. I too spend alot of time listening to music and alot of money going to concerts and buying music. I cant get enough ! I would gladly join the support group, hell, i should probably lead it............

HelloAngel said:
Music is a joyful and meaningful pastime - and not something that you should put a limit on in terms of personal enjoyment. Music enriches your life and elevates your mind. Music matters. :heart: :up:

exactly :up:

I can relate.

When I was in my twenties.

In the seventies and eighties there were weeks when I saw 3 and 4 live shows a week. I don't regret any of it.

Do it while you are young and have the energy.

I have slowed waaaaay down.

Bono's shades said:
If being passionate about music is wrong, I don't want to be right.

hahahahaha good stuff :up:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Thanks for all of your comments, keep em comin'!

If it makes you happy, spending so much time and effort (and money) on music is not a waste. Sometimes I feel guilty about spending so much money on music and concerts, but then it brings so much joy to my life. Hell, I can honestly say that music has saved my life a few times. We all have a precious gift here, and a great place to talk to others who are consumed by the same passions.

i like music more than i should, and i'm quite happy with that. i could go into some really cheesy-sounding reasons for why it's such a big deal to me, but i'll spare you...

i listen to music every possible waking hour. i've got this long list of intstruments i'd love to learn to play, i play guitar and try to convince myself i can play the piano a little bit (i learned to play coldplay's "the scientist" recently, drove my family crazy cos i kept playing it over and over to makle sure i wouldn't forget it, and my sister hates me now cos i had her write out a treble and bass cleff cos i can't read music, and then i lost the paper...)

i have my own radio show at the campus station. i go to music staff meetings, come in to the station and spent about 5 hours per week logging cd info into the database so i can hang around and listen to more new music, i review cds for the station to hear more stuff, i hang around here to hear about stuff i wouldn't normally listen to, i hang out in the used music shops in town and in the next town over way too often, and always buy something, whether it's a stack of vinyl records or a single $1 bargin bin cassette tape

i mourn the loss of my discman...i need to buy a new one...

I would wither & die without music. I am an obsessive, a fiend, an uncontrollable vacuum of everything musical. If I went deaf, I'd probably kill myself. :yes:

Yeah, i spend far too much of my time dedicated to music as well - i'm also 25, and while i dream of working in music one day (and am going to try to apply for jobs places, who knows...) it's probably unrealistic. Nevertheless, the best times in my life have been at concerts or somehow surrounded by music. I wouldn't trade that for anything, and I would never want the possibility of future times like that taken from me.

Music is my passion, it makes me love my life and enjoy it!! I have no clue what I would be like if I didnt consume music as much as I do:heart:

Someday I hope to be able to make music to share with the whole world!!:yes:

jkayet said:
Yeah, i spend far too much of my time dedicated to music as well - i'm also 25, and while i dream of working in music one day (and am going to try to apply for jobs places, who knows...) it's probably unrealistic. Nevertheless, the best times in my life have been at concerts or somehow surrounded by music. I wouldn't trade that for anything, and I would never want the possibility of future times like that taken from me.

:up:

i agree with all of you...heh...and i figure, most teenagers spend their money on clothes or going out...but i spend my money on music and meeting my friends who feel the same way as i do about it...

for me, music is the language of emotion...no matter what i'm feeling, there's that one song or that one album that i just need to listen to. when i close my eyes and enter the world of what i'm listening to, it's a sort of utopia. some days i listen for an escape from my life, some days it's because i want to remeber something of the past, and some days i just need to turn the volume up full blast and cry. music is one of the few things that makes me cry...and i can't explain why.

certain songs, when i hear them i'm immersed in this pain and agony. my whole body lives in that one moment. music's life takes over my own. and when it's over, i'm left with a broken heart, and all i can do is listen just once more.

if i didn't have music in my life, i would have no passion. and life without passion is a mundane walk down a straight path. my friends laugh at me for being so protective of my music, but i just don't care. i love the way i feel when i'm listening...

ok, sorry! didn't mean to drone on and bore you all! it just came out...heh...

Stories for Boys said:
i agree with all of you...heh...and i figure, most teenagers spend their money on clothes or going out...but i spend my money on music and meeting my friends who feel the same way as i do about it...

for me, music is the language of emotion...no matter what i'm feeling, there's that one song or that one album that i just need to listen to. when i close my eyes and enter the world of what i'm listening to, it's a sort of utopia. some days i listen for an escape from my life, some days it's because i want to remeber something of the past, and some days i just need to turn the volume up full blast and cry. music is one of the few things that makes me cry...and i can't explain why.

certain songs, when i hear them i'm immersed in this pain and agony. my whole body lives in that one moment. music's life takes over my own. and when it's over, i'm left with a broken heart, and all i can do is listen just once more.

if i didn't have music in my life, i would have no passion. and life without passion is a mundane walk down a straight path. my friends laugh at me for being so protective of my music, but i just don't care. i love the way i feel when i'm listening...

ok, sorry! didn't mean to drone on and bore you all! it just came out...heh...

Laura dont be sorry I feel the exact same way! I get laughed at for it too.

Music makes me feel normal, thats why I decided I am going to write a paper on what U2 has done for me unknowningly and I might decide to post it on the board but I dont know for sure.

"Wonder" by Natalie Merchant describes my life to the T !!!!!! I swear she either has someone close to her that has been through what I went through when I was younger or she met me when I was younger. I cry ever time I hear that song bc of the song memories that its brings back and sometimes I cant even listen to it bc the emotion is soooo strong.

I heard a song the other day that totally summed up how I feel about music, and made me feel better.

That song was: I Know It's Only Rock and Roll, But I Like It by The Rolling Stones

Yeah I sometimes think Im a bit obsessed!!! I spend way tooo much money on CDs and concerts!!! and get quite attctched to artists that inspire me!!!

oh well could be worse!!! I guess its better to have a music addiction rather than drugs or alcohol!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom