Do you like Harry Potter? Are u going to get 5th book this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi!

Well, J K Rowling's 5th book has been receiving a lot of attention in the press lately.

So Im wondering if any of you or your children or know someone who's reading or read the Harry Potter books.... and whether you are excited about the 5th book coming out this weekend or you are just plainly fed up with all the hype.....Honestly, I believe there has been far too much hype on just one book, dont you think?

I must admit I am not a big fan of Harry Potter though I have yet to read a single book out of the 4 published so far but my sister and my sister-in-law are trying their best to get me reading them! :D However, I have seen both films and thought they were good.

I thought imo that Harry Potter is the best thing for years as it encouraged children to read more books away from the TV, and computer games and other useless activities, you know.... and also somehow got adults to read them too! First children's book to have a crossover audience, who knows?

dougal

Woohay!

I cannot wait for this book to come out, but unless it comes out in paperback, I dont know if I will get it. Hopefully it should, as I dont want to ruin the collection :D
But that is not your point lol. I usually hate hype, but my bias among other things is making this take a back seat for a bit. I am the same as you, only with LOTR. I've never seen any of the movies or read the books and franky dont want to. I guess it means I dont qualify to comment on them, but hype is hype. Except when its Harry :D
When I first read them, I was so sure I wouldn't like it, and was totally surprised at how much I loved them all. The 4th was so far the best imo, so this 5th has been something I've been really looking forward to.

And yeah, I'm a married housewife who proabably shouldn't be loving the books and movies this much....but hey :wink:

I hear a whole truckload of books were hijacked. The truck was found, but the books were gone. :shifty:

I'm *really* excited about it because I love the Harry Potter books. I mean love -- I'm totally obsessed, as you've probably guessed from my username, lol. :lol: Anyhow. There's a midnight launch party in the town next to mine too, they're going to read the first chapter of the book from 11pm and let people start buying it at midnight. It sounds so cool!

I have to wait until my local library get the book so I can read it though. :sad: :sad: :sad: I'm probably going to beat up anyone who tries to spoil the story for me before I've managed to read it. :madspit: :censored:

Hello,

A couple of months ago I pre-ordered it on Amazon.co.uk for a 50% reduction. Yep, I'm Dutch! :) Anyway, I'll be happy when it arrives (probably not until somewhere next week, I think), but it's not as if I cannot wait any longer. Should the book be published in September it would also be fine with me.
That said, I did enjoy reading the books (the English versions as I hate the translations of Hogwarts, Fizzing Wizzbees, Quidditch, etc.) although I prefer LOTR :tongue:.

Reading about the hype is fun. I mean, people hijacking/stealing a truck so they have 7600 books 4 days before the official publication date, that's funny. (Here in the Netherlands the books were delivered in secret in trucks that said on the outside it was transporting fruit and vegetables, that's funny :) )

C ya!

Marty

dougal55 said:
So Im wondering if any of you or your children or know someone who's reading or read the Harry Potter books.... and whether you are excited about the 5th book coming out this weekend or you are just plainly fed up with all the hype.....Honestly, I believe there has been far too much hype on just one book, dont you think?

I must admit I am not a big fan of Harry Potter though I have yet to read a single book out of the 4 published so far but my sister and my sister-in-law are trying their best to get me reading them! :D However, I have seen both films and thought they were good.

IMO, the movies aren't a very good representation of the books. They're enjoyable, but they cut parts out and rewrite bits. And I personally don't think the first two books are nearly as good as the 3rd and 4th. So, if you really want to understand the hype, read the books! :)

Anyway.. yes, I'm very excited about OOTP. My mom works in a bookstore that's having a midnight release party and she's in charge of coordinating the party. :lol: I think I'm required to go, although being at a party with little kids isn't very enticing. :der:

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Sam and I are going to a party here in Norwich (one of the many release parties in England where "Percy" -- I forget his real name -- will be doing a signing...which is kinda weird since he didn't write the book or anything... :huh: ) :hyper:

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

THE HYPE IS TRUE, ITS ALL TRUE!!!

THIS BOOK IS GOING TO ROCK!!!

DID I MENTION... I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

(Anyone wanting spoilers... don't hesitate to ask...)

Ant.

hell yeah!! Ia m sooo existed :hyper:

I mean.. mooore Snape :drool: and stuff

yayayay

I also preordered it at Amazon.. but only got 40% off (here ein Germany)
I am happy I understand english so I will enjoy J.K. Rwlings awesome writing style once more in its original form
German translation :down:

I so hope I'll have it in the mail on saturday :hyper:

:mad:
I just went out before (Its Thursday late night shopping here) and saw my sister who does stock replenishment in KMart at nights. I asked her if they'd come in and if she could slip me a copy and she said they were locked in a crate out on the back dock and any staff member who was caught buying one or helping someone else get one would be sacked immediately.
:mad:

But she's going to try and hide one for me incase they all sell out.

So close...:mad:

Ant, I want spoilers aplenty :mad:

The New York Daily News had an article yesterday which gave away the plot and some other things (they got a 'hot' copy at a health food store in Brooklyn).

Today the author and Schoolastic, the publisher, are suing them for tens of millions of dollars.

Serves them right - stupid rag tag...

a-mole said:
I HATE spoilers :angry:

wanna read it in my own while being completely sucked into thestory :)

I totally agree with you. I think sometimes I am an author's favorite reader because I am so willing to suspend my disbelief and go light on the criticisms...LOL...i just love books too much to be mean to them!!!

Anyway, after reading this thread I decided YES I WILL be getting the book this weekend. (along with tickets to the radiohead show in cleveland in august!! anyone else going to that??? what a weekend for things to go on sale!!! YAY!!!)

I'm insanely excited for this book. We're talking not sleeping at night excited.

All this and I haven't yet figured out if there's any earthly way I can purchase a copy this week. :lol: I'm a nutcase.

TGIF!
Woohay! Thanks Ant :) There's a few interesting things in there, which oddly enough match some things I've been thinking myself.
I had to go out all of this morning, but I think I'll be heading out shortly to track a copy down somewhere. I cant believe I'm going out especially for a book. 1 book.

Actually, I can....:shifty:

Amazon will deliver it to my front door tomorrow (saturday). Unfortunately, I am working, so I won't have time to read it right away, but I'm excited nonetheless.

I'm going to the bookstore Borders at precisely 00:01 AM! And I'll read it on my way back home!!!
HAPPY READING!

Ant.

I've only read the first Harry Potter book, and I thought it was charming. I want to read the other books but I'll have to put it on my list of things to do...!

My sister and brother-in-law are going to be at their local bookstore at midnight to buy the new one. My borther-in-law started reading the series after 9/11, and he found them to be a good mental escape during a sad and scary time. My siser then read them all and loved them...now she's trying to talk my dad into reading them!

All this Harry hoopla makes me wish I still worked at Borders. When "Goblet of Fire" came out we had a breakfast for people who'd pre-ordered the book and three hundred people showed up! (Over 700 customers had pre-ordered, but we had to limit the attendees at the breakfast--other Borders stores in the area didn't get nearly as big a response to their morning events.) There were events all day and night, and our customers were in such happy, almost giddy moods. It was the happiest day I ever spent working there.

Happy reading, Harry fans!!!

Last edited:
My lil sis has it on order...I have an exam on Wednesday so I won't be able to read it until then.

Basically, I told my sis she has until then to finish it cause after that IT'S MINE!

And I DO want spoilers. Who dies???

I'm on Page 231, 'Detention with Dolores'!!!
I bought mine at Borders at 00:26, it was fantastic! THey even gave me a souvenir bag to go with it!

Ant.

I've only read a hundred or so pages so far, I keep getting interrupted lol. I had another theory Ant, and I forgot to pm you back, but its a good thing I didn't cos it looks like I was right! So it probably is a good thing I didn't say anything in case its ruined lol.
And I only found this out cos I was walking back to the car after I bought it and stupidly opened at a random page and of course something significant was happening. Argh!

Back
Top Bottom