do you know an autistic? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2003, 10:22 AM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:27 PM
yes.
nb and verte, would have never known.

we all love your posts too.

db9

Old 03-01-2003, 11:51 AM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
Wow, Doug and verte, never would have guessed that you guys have struggled with this, thanks for being so honest
astute observation, bonolsoveslave! EYE am not struggling with it, really rather having a nice time of it pictures in the mind, photography in motion, the politics of dancing...

so fun to be passed over, as it was since nursery school, so it goes... (the last a quote from Linda Ellerbee)

Love you guys!

Old 03-01-2003, 11:52 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:27 AM
that's really awesome guys never would have guessed.

my girlfriend is an applied behavior therapist with a couple of autistic children aged 3 and 9. she absolutely loves it.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:07 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
yes.
nb and verte, would have never known.

we all love your posts too.

db9

Thanks diamond, gosh, you know you don't have to love my posts in FYM. Just joking.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:26 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:27 PM

Thanks Beth and Diamond!!

With Asperger's Syndrome, social interations do not come naturally - they must be learned academically. What makes things difficult is that we enjoy, almost crave social interaction. We just don't know how to do it.

Interference provides me with a social setting where I can thrive as best as I can. The wonderful people here make it easy for me.

Actually, it feels great to talk about it!!

Verte76 - if you ever want to share experiences, etc., please let me know.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:01 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Well said, nbcrusader. A place like Interference really is cool for someone with Asperger's. I don't have to worry about some posting a nasty note. That bugs me on some other lists where there is a bunch of flaming and such. If you want to e-mail me nbcrusader my e-mail addy is p.hefner@worldnet.att.net
Old 03-01-2003, 03:10 PM   #37
War Child

I work with kids with disabilities at school. We do have a couple of autistic kids who don't know how to communicate like you or I can BUT are getting the idea that they can communicate in another way. I tend to work with kids who are autistic along with other disabilities including behaviors. I overall enjoy it. It is really a great feeling when you see the kids actually learn something and be happy and enjoy life as best they can. It is simply the best job I am grateful to have!!
Old 03-01-2003, 05:13 PM   #38
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:27 PM
One of the guys in my choir class in college had a pretty severe case of autism (it may have been combined with something else, I don't know). He was a pretty cool, if odd guy, but he wasn't really very socially aware, though he was always well-mannered. He did have some really bad nervous ticks (spasms?) that were a little unnerving the first few times you saw them. I do remember that he was a very good pianist though.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:29 PM   #39
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:27 PM
for a short time we lived across the street from one. his was a more severe case and had to be supervised at all times. he and his family were so nice though. the guy was a genius, he did computer stuff and i think maybe even did some programming. quite impressive for an 11 year old.

we only knew them for about two years cuz then we had to move.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:43 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
for a short time we lived across the street from one. his was a more severe case and had to be supervised at all times. he and his family were so nice though. the guy was a genius, he did computer stuff and i think maybe even did some programming. quite impressive for an 11 year old.

we only knew them for about two years cuz then we had to move.
I've met some more severe cases. I'm lucky that my case is mild. It could be so much worse.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:08 PM   #41
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:27 PM
I'm sorry Debbie - I guess I misunderstood your post since the first thing you said was that you 'have not been diagnosed as such' - didn't mean to leave you out, wouldn't have guessed you had a problem with it either
Old 03-02-2003, 09:38 PM   #42
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
I'm sorry Debbie - I guess I misunderstood your post since the first thing you said was that you 'have not been diagnosed as such' - didn't mean to leave you out, wouldn't have guessed you had a problem with it either

yep, a problem with social "skills" like timing in group conversations...i never quite get the swing of it, and often misread body signals...does not make for a sweet time at a party, unless there is some "event" going on...the actual problem is that i'm seeing pictures of your words and responding in "summary" of the pictures i imagine, which can, unfortunately, be totally irrelevant to the general topic...(though i do enjoy myself, i must say) Different perspective, and one that doesn't translate into words, that's the worst of it
Old 03-03-2003, 02:05 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

I've had problems with not being very social. Some people didn't get it when I got stressed always being with a group over at someone else's place. Gosh, talk about screwed up relationships. They were big time extroverts and didn't understand why I wasn't, and this was before I was diagnosed with Asperger's. This was very traumatic.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:30 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:27 PM

Small talk or casual conversation is the worst. I remember finding it easier if someone would ask me questions - providing answers was easy. But force me to ask the questions and I'll tend to be silent.

Another aspect of Aspergerís is that the brain is always working and catalogues information well. I remember meeting a child who's focus was dinosaurs. He could not only tell me details about dinosaurs, but described the exact location of a new T-Rex exhibit in Chicago.

Aspergerís is probably under-diagnosed in this country and is difficult to diagnose because some of the symptomatic behaviors are common in children without Aspergerís. For more information on Asperger's, check out the
OASIS
Old 03-03-2003, 02:54 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, being an undiagnosed "Aspie" is a pain in the .