Do you judge intelligence based on hair colour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
I ask because I was at work (summer job - a bank) and someone asked me what I was studying in school. When I said 'science' he smiled and stiffled a giggle. He then remarked that I didn't look 'serious enough' for science (not smart enough - he was quick to point out. I just don't seem very serious). When I asked why, he said it was mainly because of my hair colour (which, for the summer, is quite blond - and not Britney Spears blond, but rather, just some strategically placed highlights). The worst part is that two other people agreed!

My hair was brown in the winter, much darker than it is now. I found people treated me with a little more respect. I was taken more seriously.

I just find it strange that we still live in a society where intelligence is based on hair colour. I thought we had passed that. Apparently, I was wrong. :down:

Last edited:
It's funny you should post this; I was thinking the same exact thing. Thus, i was contemplating whether i should dye my hair completely blonde, just so i could see if i was treated any differently--good or bad....sort of like an experiment i suppose. However, there is really no need for me to even do that. It's quite obvious that stereotypes, though unwarranted, based on hair color still exist.

I work with mostly guys, and if I don't know the answer to something, a couple of the guys will sometimes say, "It's the hair" (I'm blonde). :rolleyes:

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
I ask because I was at work (summer job - a bank) and someone asked me what I was studying in school. When I said 'science' he smiled and stiffled a giggle. He then remarked that I didn't look 'serious enough' for science (not smart enough - he was quick to point out. I just don't seem very serious). When I asked why, he said it was mainly because of my hair colour (which, for the summer, is quite blond - and not Britney Spears blond, but rather, just some strategically placed highlights). The worst part is that two other people agreed!

My hair was brown in the winter, much darker than it is now. I found people treated me with a littlew more respect. I was taken more seriously.

I just find it strange that we still live in a society where intelligence is based on hair colour. I thought we had passed that. Apparently, I was wrong. :down:

I can't believe it! That is just...I'm speechless. I had no idea the "dumb blonde" strereotype still ran so deeply in our society - maybe because I'm a brunette and haven't experienced this attitude personally. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Don't let it get you down. Your co-workers who made those idiotic remarks are the dumb ones, not you.

Last edited:
Well, I'm a redhead and alot of people believe my "violent streak" is due entirely to my haircolor.

Others think I'm "too nice" to be a "fiery redhead."

The funny thing is, I'm naturally a blonde. (If you can call it that. It's not a very attractive shade.) So, then I get the alternate stereotype that if you dye your hair (and successfully fool people that it's real, as I do) you are "dishonest" or trying to compensate for self-esteem issues....

Sigh. We just can't win!

Elisabeth

I've actually been considering dying my hair...I've been a blonde my whole life...maybe I need something different. :kiss:

Bonochick said:
I've actually been considering dying my hair...I've been a blonde my whole life...maybe I need something different. :kiss:

Go for it! But definitely spend the extra money and get it done at a salon. Those boxed dyes just don't cut it. And if it goes horribly awry they have to fix it, LOL.

Elisabeth

I don't judge anyone by their hair color but I know that many people do. I've also noticed that a woman's hairstyle will give off certain signals.

I had very long, curly blond-ish hair in my 20's. I got alot of attention because of my hair and was even told at a women's career development seminar that I would never be taken seriously because my hair "screamed sex." I was told that in a room full of 200 other women and you should have seen the dirty looks I got :mad:

I went darker and cut it short when I turned 30 and men have treated me VERY differently since then. I started getting called "ma'am alot and doors stopped being held open for me. I don't get stared at by men anymore but I also don't get dirty looks from women anymore either. Strange :shrug:

I think I get treated a bit differently ever since I dyed my hair 3 years ago. It was a light brown color and looked kinda crappy and mousy, then I dyed it dark red and later black and since then I get noticed a lot more (could be cause it's paired with pale skin, lol) and treated a bit differently, almost like a "respect" type deal. :scratch:

Really weird. Although at times my occasional ditziness makes people ask, "Is there blonde underneath all that dark stuff?" :tongue:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Although at times my occasional ditziness makes people ask, "Is there blonde underneath all that dark stuff?" :tongue:
:yes: I have brown hair, but people still think I'm incredibly ditzy...I suppose I do act that way sometimes...
I guess I've known so many people who defy all hair color stereotypes that I don't ever judge anybody that way. :shrug: If i had more nerve, i do think it'd be interesting to dye my hair a totally different color and see the reactions I get...

i never agreed with all the people who said blond hair and blue eyes make the perfect person.

:angry:

i still dont.

The fact that it matters pisses me off no end. No blonde hair and blue eyes may not be the perfect combination, but its isn't the wrong one either.
Who the fuck chooses their hair colour anyway? Unless we all go and dye it. Its hard enough for women in general to prove themselves sometimes anyway, but be a blonde female, you may as well give up and claim a disability.
:banghead:

My sister has blonde hair and she used to get treated like she was stupid, and this was by members of my extended family no less. Unfortunately, she spent most of her childhood with low esteem, because she thought she was stupid.

Fotunately for her she she got past that and really doesn't put up with any bull from people who treat her different because she is blonde.

Although I have seen some girls take advantage of the "stupid" sterreotype, to get out of doing things. :mad: They are the ones who are perpetuating it :censored::censored:

I know what you mean, I'm blonde and I sometimes I feel like people don't take me seriously because of my hair color. I think people also underestimate my intelligence because they don't think i look very smart.

I'm blonde by choice. I bleach my hair white blonde - It's great for hiding those tell tale grey hairs :laugh: before this I used to dye my hair black (in my gothic youth) can't say i've noticed people treating me any differently though. They still only comment on my piercings.

Hair colour doesn't determine your level of intelligence. I have met several very intellectual and smart blondes and I have met a lot of dumb brunettes. I think it's very immature to judge someone based on their hair colour. I have long wavy light brown/dark blond hair and blue eyes, and some people have teased me about it but they don't really mean it...Oh well what i can do but just laugh about it. But I have thought about getting some red highlights to have more unconventional look.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
i know! i've started to wonder if i can't find a job because i have blonde hair. i doubt it though since i'm not looking for "serious" jobs, just like work at drug stores, tanning salons, etc.

i've dyed my hair just avout every colour (blonde, black, red, orange, fire engine red...) and i've been blonde since about april. i'm wondering if i should change my colour again and if so, what to? :laugh:

i think its dumb to judge women or men based on their hair color. i have brown hair, and i've been told i am smart, or intelligent, but also there are times when i can be ditzy too. its stupid how men or women can make any judgements based on hair color alone.

well, I guess I think of non-blondes as being a tad more inteligent, even tho I know it's completely untrue...I'm sure it's because of all the blonde jokes thru the years. But hey, I bleached my hair blonde for a coupla years, and believe me, I did NOT have more fun :tsk: and sure didn't notice that my intelligence had waned any! But anyway, I still dyed it black....then red then two-tone, then went back to being a redhead, and have been one ever since. I seem to get the most compliments from it anyway...but more fun or more intelligent? :shrug: Who the heck knows?

i have nothing worthwhile contributing here because its a ridiculous thing to even be talking about really.
i dye my hair so its all rather irrelevant.
i actually just wanted to ask miss velvet if her sig was the guy who used to be in ballykissangel.

Yeah thought so. He played the new boy from Dublin who came to live with Eamon the pig farmer lol
He's a hottie!!! :heart:

Well.....

coming from a high school where everyone knew me, hair colour wasn't very relevant. I was a smart kid, despite blond hair (my hair used to be VERY blond as a kid). There was a stigma though....there was a huge group of "ginas" who dyed their hair this horrible, fake blond colour. They were pretty dumb, I guess. None of them ever worked very hard, and spent more time trying to perfect the dark lipliner/different coloured lipstick look than they did on school.

However, I find that at university, blond hair gets you labeled more of a 'party girl.' Esp when you hair is long and curly (as mine gets in the summer). Which is one thing when youre going out - I have no problems with this. In fact, I often roll with it. I'll be the first sto say "I must be blond" if I do something stupid.
Last year at university I dyed my hair red--then this darker brown. I just found that people that didn't know me took me more seriously, esp when compared with some other friends who are (completely) blond.

The person at work went as far as to say that he never thought I was a science student - more an English student, or history...or that I was just in university to get a degree and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life.....WTF??

My doctor is blond.

I like brown hair.

It is just a preference.

Intelligence has nothing to do with hair color, althoug I will say that people who dye their hair blue are generally less intelligent than people with brown hair.

Back
Top Bottom