Do you judge intelligence based on hair colour? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2002, 08:59 PM   #1
MacPhisto's serving wench

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Do you judge intelligence based on hair colour?

I ask because I was at work (summer job - a bank) and someone asked me what I was studying in school. When I said 'science' he smiled and stiffled a giggle. He then remarked that I didn't look 'serious enough' for science (not smart enough - he was quick to point out. I just don't seem very serious). When I asked why, he said it was mainly because of my hair colour (which, for the summer, is quite blond - and not Britney Spears blond, but rather, just some strategically placed highlights). The worst part is that two other people agreed!

My hair was brown in the winter, much darker than it is now. I found people treated me with a little more respect. I was taken more seriously.

I just find it strange that we still live in a society where intelligence is based on hair colour. I thought we had passed that. Apparently, I was wrong.

Old 09-02-2002, 09:29 PM   #2
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 06:26 AM
It's funny you should post this; I was thinking the same exact thing. Thus, i was contemplating whether i should dye my hair completely blonde, just so i could see if i was treated any differently--good or bad....sort of like an experiment i suppose. However, there is really no need for me to even do that. It's quite obvious that stereotypes, though unwarranted, based on hair color still exist.

Old 09-02-2002, 09:39 PM   #3
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:26 PM

I work with mostly guys, and if I don't know the answer to something, a couple of the guys will sometimes say, "It's the hair" (I'm blonde).

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-02-2002, 09:43 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Do you judge intelligence based on hair colour?

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing
I ask because I was at work (summer job - a bank) and someone asked me what I was studying in school. When I said 'science' he smiled and stiffled a giggle. He then remarked that I didn't look 'serious enough' for science (not smart enough - he was quick to point out. I just don't seem very serious). When I asked why, he said it was mainly because of my hair colour (which, for the summer, is quite blond - and not Britney Spears blond, but rather, just some strategically placed highlights). The worst part is that two other people agreed!

My hair was brown in the winter, much darker than it is now. I found people treated me with a littlew more respect. I was taken more seriously.

I just find it strange that we still live in a society where intelligence is based on hair colour. I thought we had passed that. Apparently, I was wrong.
I can't believe it! That is just...I'm speechless. I had no idea the "dumb blonde" strereotype still ran so deeply in our society - maybe because I'm a brunette and haven't experienced this attitude personally. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Don't let it get you down. Your co-workers who made those idiotic remarks are the dumb ones, not you.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:58 PM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Well, I'm a redhead and alot of people believe my "violent streak" is due entirely to my haircolor.

Others think I'm "too nice" to be a "fiery redhead."

The funny thing is, I'm naturally a blonde. (If you can call it that. It's not a very attractive shade.) So, then I get the alternate stereotype that if you dye your hair (and successfully fool people that it's real, as I do) you are "dishonest" or trying to compensate for self-esteem issues....

Sigh. We just can't win!

Elisabeth
Old 09-02-2002, 10:00 PM   #6
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:26 PM

I've actually been considering dying my hair...I've been a blonde my whole life...maybe I need something different.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-02-2002, 10:09 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:26 PM
I dont judge on hair color but guys tend to bc of the way that woman are portrayed on TV!
Old 09-02-2002, 10:34 PM   #8
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
I've actually been considering dying my hair...I've been a blonde my whole life...maybe I need something different.
Go for it! But definitely spend the extra money and get it done at a salon. Those boxed dyes just don't cut it. And if it goes horribly awry they have to fix it, LOL.

Elisabeth
Old 09-02-2002, 11:15 PM   #9
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 02:26 PM
I don't judge anyone by their hair color but I know that many people do. I've also noticed that a woman's hairstyle will give off certain signals.

I had very long, curly blond-ish hair in my 20's. I got alot of attention because of my hair and was even told at a women's career development seminar that I would never be taken seriously because my hair "screamed sex." I was told that in a room full of 200 other women and you should have seen the dirty looks I got

I went darker and cut it short when I turned 30 and men have treated me VERY differently since then. I started getting called "ma'am alot and doors stopped being held open for me. I don't get stared at by men anymore but I also don't get dirty looks from women anymore either. Strange
Old 09-03-2002, 12:10 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

I think I get treated a bit differently ever since I dyed my hair 3 years ago. It was a light brown color and looked kinda crappy and mousy, then I dyed it dark red and later black and since then I get noticed a lot more (could be cause it's paired with pale skin, lol) and treated a bit differently, almost like a "respect" type deal.

Really weird. Although at times my occasional ditziness makes people ask, "Is there blonde underneath all that dark stuff?"
Old 09-03-2002, 12:25 AM   #11
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Although at times my occasional ditziness makes people ask, "Is there blonde underneath all that dark stuff?"
I have brown hair, but people still think I'm incredibly ditzy...I suppose I do act that way sometimes...
I guess I've known so many people who defy all hair color stereotypes that I don't ever judge anybody that way. If i had more nerve, i do think it'd be interesting to dye my hair a totally different color and see the reactions I get...
Old 09-03-2002, 01:28 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:26 PM
wink

i never agreed with all the people who said blond hair and blue eyes make the perfect person.

i still dont.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:32 AM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 04:26 PM
NOPE:
http://www.rathergood.com/giantbee/
Old 09-03-2002, 02:28 AM   #14
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:26 AM
The fact that it matters pisses me off no end. No blonde hair and blue eyes may not be the perfect combination, but its isn't the wrong one either.
Who the fuck chooses their hair colour anyway? Unless we all go and dye it. Its hard enough for women in general to prove themselves sometimes anyway, but be a blonde female, you may as well give up and claim a disability.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:52 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
My sister has blonde hair and she used to get treated like she was stupid, and this was by members of my extended family no less. Unfortunately, she spent most of her childhood with low esteem, because she thought she was stupid.

Fotunately for her she she got past that and really doesn't put up with any bull from people who treat her different because she is blonde.

Although I have seen some girls take advantage of the "stupid" sterreotype, to get out of doing things. They are the ones who are perpetuating it