Do you have a last name NO ONE can pronounce correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:
It's phonetic, even if it's Croatian.

My last name is Croatian as well, but I don't spell it with a "ch" ending, which means everybody pronounces it as a K.

ETA, Martha, is your S a "sh" sound or just an S? I know a lot of people with that last name.

Last edited:
my last name is Ukrainian. I gave up teaching people how to say it a long time ago.
whenever we went out for dinner and needed reservations, my dad would pretend our name was music. can't get that worng and it's close to how you would almost pronounce my name.

bonosloveslave said:

So was your name something other than Iris? Do you not say it like the flower? I would guess you say your last name like Suh-rob-eee-uh - is that even close?

my name is Iris but it should be pronounced in Spanish and not in English. and here is a lesson for you all: my given name should be pronounced like: Edys *yes,like the ice cream* The I in spanish is pronounced like an E the R is rolled. however since it is so hard for those who cannot roll their r's i rather go by Iris, like the flower.

and i guess if you are from the midwest you would pronounce my last name like that. haha.. and my last name should be pronounced like: Sah-Rah-Bee-Ah *roll the R* i don't even pronounce my last name properly. my cousins in Texas hate that i have butchered my own first and last name. lol. oh well. :wave:

Reimers. It's pronounced rhyme-rs. It's German.

A lot of people think it's pronounced Reemers, and I'm fine with that, as long as it's spelled right.

What I have a problem with is when people think it's Ramirez. WTF??

Back
Top Bottom