Do you have a last name NO ONE can pronounce correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Nicole Bubear just excelled at our high school...must be related?

cass said:

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned a classmate's unusual name. I can't see it right now, but it definitely looked Sth East Asian, Thai perhaps.

Yep, my guess is the same as yours.

Sicy said:

These would be correct. :wink:

In Italian.. two c's next to each other with the h makes the K sound.

I cheated though, I'm an Italian football fan...

Even Irish people get my name wrong so I cant expect too much. If someone starts to ask for me on the phone and takes two minutes to try and spit out my name I'll usually just put them out of their misery.

<------people usually say my first name wrong all the time. one time, was around 5th grade...i had signed up for summer school...and we had this new teacher who kept messing up on everyone's name. well...when he got to my name...he literally butchered it. i just sat there and ignored him. i refused to answer roll call. i never went back. my last name is usually fairly easy to pronounce, but they still get it wrong.

icelle is pronounced e sell

minjares is pronounced min ha des (think mexican accent)

My last name is sooo boring but I learned a long time ago to always spell it when giving it to avoid mispronunciations or mispelling.

LONG

:wink:

I have a first name that everyone spells wrong...and a last name that everyone pronounces wrong! It's Angus-Bodie. First of all, so many people think that is my name...um, ever seen a female named Angus?! wtf...
And then they think it's spelled with an "E"--always fun at the pharmacy.
The second part gets murdered. Bobie. Body. Boobie!
it's Bo (long o) De (long e). That's what I get for having a hyphenated name in America.

Prompted by another call from a telemarketer.........

Do people have problems with your first name?

Check it...my name is Katherine...how hard is that?? I am constantly being called Kath-uh-RINE (emphasis on that last syllable, and they pronounce it so it rhymes with "mine"). Others include Kath-REEN and Kat-er-REEN...what's up with emphasizing the last syllable? :mad:

Last edited:
I'm Polish and have the long last name to show for it! ;) Really my last name is pronounced almost phonetically, but it's amazing how bad people can butcher it. But I've gotten so used to people butchering my last name it doesn't even bother me anymore. And yes, it's an easy way to weed the telemarketers out.

____
:sexywink: Q: On her wedding night, what does a Polish bride get that's long and hard?
A: A new last name. :reject:

I have an odd combination.. a first name no one can spell or pronounce, and a last name that is very easy to pronounce, yet is a different spelling, therefore is always wrong. :rolleyes: My first is Ariadne. Greek. Not that difficult. I pronounce it Air-ee-ad-knee, but it can also be pronounced Air-ee-ahd-knee. People always called me "Ariane" with no D, and then, in 1999, people started calling me Adrian. Um, hello? The D is near the end of the name! Why would it be pronounced so it was at the BEGINNING? Arrrrgh. I have so much trouble that I just use fake names for everything possible.

Sicy said:

:laugh: YES.. I always hang up as soon as I hear them try to pronounce my name.. uh yeah its someone trying to sell some shit.. goodbye!

Yep. People always eff up the Italian names.

Mine is DiGiovanni - not that hard to pronounce. Yet it is always screwed up.

About 90% of people mispronounce my last name because apparently they can't understand that a c doesn't always sound like a k.

My maiden name was Uphaus, you can just imagine the nickname that got me. A lot of people wanted to make the "eff" sound since the p and h are together - usually came out "you-fuss". It's really just "up-house". My mom once got a piece of mail addressed to "Mrs. Puhaus" - that gave us all a good laugh :lmao:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
by the time i was 18 i grew tired of correcting and explaining how to properly pronounce my first name that i just said screw it and anglosized it.
by the way here is my name:

Iris Sarabia

So was your name something other than Iris? Do you not say it like the flower? I would guess you say your last name like Suh-rob-eee-uh - is that even close?

My last name is DOLE...yknow like the fruit distribution company! For some reason people wanna call me Doyle. Like Elvis Presley said above....I always pronounce it and spell it. others include Dale, Doll and Adole....

if my memory serves me correctly

and quite often it doesn't....very hard to get reliable memory these days.
there was a USA presidential candidate with the name "dole"and I seem to recall it being pointed out that "dole " is an arabic word and the political cartoonist would have loved it if he had won? hmmmmmmmmmmm, could be wrong...I hear these things on the radio, always a font of reliable wisdom.

Monikers...we all have them, for better or for worse, wear it with pride, even if it's Rampamgnoregllysaputra Jones-Farthingalethompsonsmythe....we love you.:yes:we do :wave:

daafish said:
My last name is DOLE...yknow like the fruit distribution company! For some reason people wanna call me Doyle. Like Elvis Presley said above....I always pronounce it and spell it. others include Dale, Doll and Adole....

Man, it sounds like people can't even pronounce easy, common names! :shrug:

Krogsgard... people used to call me "Crotch Guard" or "Crossing Guard" I still don't see how either of them are funny.

It's pretty much pronounced how it looks... actually more people have trouble spelling it than saying it.

I have a German last name that people constantly mispronounce because for some reason we don't pronounce it the way it's supposed to be pronounced in German. I don't get too upset when people mispronounce it - after all, technically they are right and we are the ones who have it wrong!

i have a dutch last name. a lot of people around here are dutch. not a problem. when i stray away from here...that's when it gets interesting...but i don't really understand why. zandstra...

ppl act like there's an h in there...like zahndstra with a long a. but it's really zand like sand...anyway...yeah...:|

Back
Top Bottom